Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 08:45 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,213,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
The only dumb thing that Obama did here was to repeat, word for word, something that someone else wrote and thinks ...
So its someone elses fault that Obama flip flopped on the debt ceiling issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
I think he's saying the debt is already there, and this authorizes the government to pay it.
Then maybe they should stop racking up so many dam bills that they cant pay them.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:47 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,911,468 times
In the first three years of Obama’s Administration, from 09/30/09 – 09/30/12 (the last year for which figures were available), the debt increased $4.1 Trillion, from $1,909,829,003,511.75 to $16,066,241,407,385.89.

These numbers were taken from treasurydirect.gov.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm for spending cuts and tax increases.
Thats weird because you whined and even started threads on federal spending cuts, which wasnt even federal spending cuts..

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post28375183

In fact here you are suggesting federal cuts hurt the economy
https://www.city-data.com/forum/29389300-post16.html

Do you think people wont remember all of the flip flopping you've done?

Old 09-19-2013, 08:51 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,790,804 times
I failed to see where Obama said that debt isn't debt. The act of raising the debt ceiling doesn't create more debt, it simply allows the Treasury to borrow based on what Congress has appropriated.

Debt is racked up when we spend more than what we collect in taxes. The act of raising the debt ceiling isn't what causes debt.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I failed to see where Obama said that debt isn't debt. The act of raising the debt ceiling doesn't create more debt, it simply allows the Treasury to borrow based on what Congress has appropriated.

Debt is racked up when we spend more than what we collect in taxes. The act of raising the debt ceiling isn't what causes debt.
You mean it allows spending to take place that Obama signed into law, thus responsible for increasing the debt, despite your numerous claims that Obama isnt responsible.

God, do you ever stop flip flopping?

Old 09-19-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats weird because you whined and even started threads on federal spending cuts, which wasnt even federal spending cuts..

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post28375183

In fact here you are suggesting federal cuts hurt the economy
https://www.city-data.com/forum/29389300-post16.html

Do you think people wont remember all of the flip flopping you've done?
The sequester was a bad way of cutting spending. It punished agencies that spent more wisely than other agencies that didn't do a good job cutting costs prior to the sequester. There are better ways of cutting spending than doing the sequester. We also should do tax reform that broadens the base and lowers rates, but one that also increases revenue to bring down the deficit.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,782,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
President Obama, "Now, this debt ceiling -- I just want to remind people in case you haven't been keeping up, raising the debt ceiling, which has been done over a hundred times, does not increase our debt; it does not somehow promote profligacy. All it does is it says you got to pay the bills that you've already racked up, Congress. It's a basic function of making sure that the full faith and credit of the United States is preserved."

If we are not going to increase debt, then why does the debt limit ceiling need to be raised?

The sad thing is that his base will just go along with this.

I'm really starting to lose respect for this guy. It's been done 100 times is NOT justification for continuing to do it. Just because a guy has raped 100 women, doesn't make it right or OK. His attitude is, "what is just one more?"

Old 09-19-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You mean it allows spending to take place that Obama signed into law, thus responsible for increasing the debt, despite your numerous claims that Obama isnt responsible.

God, do you ever stop flip flopping?
When did I say Obama isn't responsible for bills he signs into law. Obama clearly has increased our national debt. I also understand the context in which he has increased the national debt, so there is some nuance to my reasoning.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:58 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,782,626 times
Quote:

That's like saying flipping the light switch on doesn't make the light bulb come on, electricity does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies