Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:13 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,897,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Let's look at the unemployment rates of some of these states:

Florida is at 7.0%, ranked 22nd best among the 50 states.
NY is at 7.6, ranked 33
Texas is 6.4 ranked 17
California is 8.9 ranked 47
Unemployment Rates for States

Not to be cynical, but I just don't believe any of the UE numbers, regardless of their source. It's too difficult to account for those that have simply given up on looking. If nothing else, these numbers give a good guideline for the MINIMUM UE rate.

Having said that, what the hell is the deal in Rhode Island? Barely over 1 million in population, yet #49 on the list? Crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,933,587 times
Arizona's Jan Brewer has to be at the top of the worst list. Mean spirited, bigoted, racist and less intelligent than a chihuahua. Arizona is one of the few states with voters dumb enough to elect a person with only a high school education to a top level executive position.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:02 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,994,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Statistics show Texas as the leader in the economy and growing daily.

Statistics show California on rapid decline in residents and revenue.

Texas legislature meets for 3 months ever other year.
California legislature is a full time body, making law after law daily.

With that said, Rick Perry as much as I don't like him personally, is proven to be the best governor,
with Jerry Brown pulling up the rear.
Really, might want to see his numbers on Education, Healthcare and Poverty. Perry is an idiot but he gets a pass because anyone that knows how Texas is run knows the Lt Governor actually runs the State.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,921,597 times
Quote:

Statistics show California on rapid decline in residents and revenue.

California legislature is a full time body, making law after law daily.

With that said, Rick Perry as much as I don't like him personally, is proven to be the best governor,
with Jerry Brown pulling up the rear.
One of my favorite CD posters is a substitute teacher in the Texas school system and has shared she is paid $15/hr. In my neck of the woods, $15 is the going rate for school crossing guards. This says all that can be said about the difference in the COL between the 2 areas.

I am aware of many firms that established regional data centers in Texas over the past 10 years. It's all about low wages, compared to many other areas of the U.S.

I know many retirees who have relocated to Texas to take advantage of the low cost of living.

I know many independent mortgage brokers who relocated to Texas to be in the right place at the right time.

Small business in Texas ( and elsewhere) has benefitted from illegal immigration. Who do you think built most of the housing in Texas over the past 25 +/- years? Cracking down on employment of illegals is a War on Small Business. E- Verify is voluntary. Reportedly, only about 7 % of employers make an effort to e-verify their employees. There's no appetite in DC to make e-verify mandatory.

Ironically, those things that attract business and people will be the same things that will eventually cause Texas to experience a substantial increase in the cost of living, over time. I would not be surprised to see some vibrant cities in Texas turn blue, over time.

As for the topic of who are the better governors in the U.S.....it is nearly impossible to tell given most people have no knowledge of what any governor inherited from the past or the dynamics between the governor and state legislators.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Status: "Just think, a Buc-ee's replacing an old Buc-ee's." (set 1 day ago)

52,780 posts, read 48,176,967 times
Quote:

It's proof positive that less government and lower taxes make for a better economy and a better way of life. Rick Perry and his fine staff have done a marvelous job of helping Texas remain a national leader in economic growth and sustainability.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:14 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,994,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
It's proof positive that less government and lower taxes make for a better economy and a better way of life. Rick Perry and his fine staff have done a marvelous job of helping Texas remain a national leader in economic growth and sustainability.
He had nothing to do with lowering taxes, infact he has caused property taxes to rise and has many roads toll roads as he could and wants to spend Hundreds of Millions of dallars every year on more roads, I wonder how much the kickbacks will be. Less government my arse, we have no less government than we had under Ann Richards, a woman with more brains in her little toe than Big Hair has in his entire body. Not to worry he is gone after this term.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:26 AM

My current state, Illinois recently had the distinction of having 2 former governors in prison at the same time. One was a Democrat. The other a Republican, defended by another former governor. There is a long history of conviction of state officials, regardless of party in my state..

I was beyond surprised to learn that based upon convictions, Louisiana ranks #1 in state corruption. It caused me to rethink the whole corruption thing. Maybe some states do a better job of detecting, prosecuting and convicting their own, than others.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Let's look at the unemployment rates of some of these states:

Florida is at 7.0%, ranked 22nd best among the 50 states.
NY is at 7.6, ranked 33
Texas is 6.4 ranked 17
California is 8.9 ranked 47
Unemployment Rates for States
N. Dakota is looking swell. It's all about the energy boom that cannot be replicated in all other states. It's highly unlikely that corporations are going to choose to relocate to ND because their economy is booming.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:41 AM

37,829 posts, read 41,166,888 times
The best governor no one ever talks about is the governor of North Dakota...whoever that is.

But seriously, it's Jack Dalrymple.

"Believe it or not, a place exists where companies are hiring like crazy, and you can make $15 an hour serving tacos, $25 an hour waiting tables and $80,000 a year driving trucks. You just have to move to North Dakota. Specifically, to one of the tiny towns surrounding the oil-rich Bakken formation, estimated to hold anywhere between 4 billion and 24 billion barrels of oil."

Oil boom brings high-paying jobs to North Dakota - Sep. 28, 2011

Too bad President Obama hasn't figured this out yet and stop sitting on his Keystone so people can go to work.

"More skilled jobs are in demand with the production, manufacturing and construction sectors, according to Fetch. Welders, electricians, carpenters, plumbers and many types of mechanics are skilled occupations employers are continually looking to fill. Another hot job is commercial truck driving. It’s a demand that spans across all industries, according to Fetch. “If you can drive a truck, there’s a job out there for you,” he said...Around 2,700 job openings for the Grand Forks-East Grand Forks metro area are listed on Job Service North Dakota’s website this week. The majority of jobs advertised are in the retail trade with many looking to fill a variety of positions from sales clerks to stockroom staff. “There are plenty of jobs available,” said Scott Lindgren, manager of staffing agency Express Employment Professionals. “It’s finding the right people to fill them that’s difficult.”

http://www.prairiebizmag.com/event/article/id/15838/

Last edited by LauraC; 09-20-2013 at 11:52 AM..

Old 09-20-2013, 03:51 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Believe it or not, a place exists where companies are hiring like crazy, and you can make $15 an hour serving tacos, $25 an hour waiting tables and $80,000 a year driving trucks. You just have to move to North Dakota.
Good luck finding a place to live.

Bakken Shale Byproduct: Unaffordable Housing - WSJ.com

It's almost as bad as in another place with a burgeoning economy where you can earn $15 an hour serving tacos and $25 an hour waiting tables. I'm referring, of course, to San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies