Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 08:21 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,657,402 times

Advertisements

Who do you think has done the best job on the economy, social issues, gun control, tax policy and education?
I would say Andrew Cuomo (NY) has done a very good job, on stuff like the SAFE act, and he has lowered some taxes, while maintaining the great NY services. Rick Scott (FL) has done an awful job. He has passed tax cuts, and cut education, and while he has restored some, we spend very little on it. While Cuomo passed gay marriage, we have a homophobe in office.

Last edited by LIFL; 09-20-2013 at 08:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 08:29 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,470,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
I would say Andrew Cuomo (NY) is the best, and Rick Scott (FL) is one of the worst.
And you've done an in-depth investigation of all 50 governors?

Old 09-20-2013, 08:31 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,771,746 times
I dont know who the worst gov is but I am sure our governor Tom Corbett (PA) is the worst or among the worst ones. He most likely won't be elected for the second term. His approval rate is 18% and it's dwindling down as we speak.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:34 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,657,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Fixed.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:37 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,965,073 times
Quote:
Citizens for Ethics did a review for the Worst Governors and Andrew Cuomo made the (dis)honorable mention list because of lack of transparency and accusations of possible cronyism.

After reviewing the list it looks like Georgia, Florida, and Maine each elected Snidely Whiplash.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:39 AM

45,256 posts, read 26,506,671 times
Quote:
But wait, aren't there 57 governors?

Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,303,874 times
Deval Patrick doesn't even want the job here in MA.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,710,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
Who do you think has done the best job on the economy, social issues, gun control, tax policy and education?
I would say Andrew Cuomo (NY) has done a very good job, on stuff like the SAFE act, and he has lowered some taxes, while maintaining the great NY services. Rick Scott (FL) has done an awful job. He has passed tax cuts, and cut education, and while he has restored some, we spend very little on it. While Cuomo passed gay marriage, we have a homophobe in office.

Statistics show Texas as the leader in the economy and growing daily.

Statistics show California on rapid decline in residents and revenue.

Texas legislature meets for 3 months ever other year.
California legislature is a full time body, making law after law daily.

With that said, Rick Perry as much as I don't like him personally, is proven to be the best governor,
with Jerry Brown pulling up the rear.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:29 AM

769 posts, read 1,008,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Statistics show Texas as the leader in the economy and growing daily.

Statistics show California on rapid decline in residents and revenue.

Texas legislature meets for 3 months ever other year.
California legislature is a full time body, making law after law daily.

With that said, Rick Perry as much as I don't like him personally, is proven to be the best governor,
with Jerry Brown pulling up the rear.
Wrong about California.

Its economy grew 3.5% last year (5th fastest of any state in the nation). It's also worth over $2trillion, making it about the 9th largest economy on earth if it were an independent country, which is pretty amazing given the exceptional growth rates of large developing nations over the past few decades and the Great Recession. It's also projected to have a budget surplus this year (thanks to Jerry Brown). Also, this myth that it's losing people is just that, a myth. According to the Census in 2010 the population of CA was 37,253,956 and in 2012 its population is estimated to be 38,041,430. So, no, the state is not losing people. Also, the economy of SF grew the fastest out of every single metro area in the entire country in 2012, clocking 7.4% growth, ahead of Houston at 5.3% and Dallas at 4.3% (BTW, the Bay Area is the richest CSA in the country already). LA's economy (which is enormous) also grew 3.1% in 2012. CA's economy as a whole is expected to grow 3% in 2013 and 4% in 2014. The unemployment rate (8.6% as of May 2013) has also been dropping quickly considering it was the highest or second highest (or something like that) of any state in the nation. CA was hit really hard by the recession, absolutely, and it still has a ton of problems, but it's bouncing back, and rapidly. Texas is doing great too, and I hope they continue to do well. However, don't trash talk CA, especially when you have no facts and, quite frankly, don't know what you're talking about.

I just don't understand why/how some people on this board almost all wish for CA to fail. Such people obviously all realize that if CA were to actually collapse economically that it would have MASSIVE effects on the entire country, right?

Also, CA, with the Monterrey shale oil formation, is estimated to have about 1/3 of all the shale oil in the USA. The Monterrey shale oil is by far the single biggest reserve that we have in the country that is known to us at this time. If CA gets its act together on the shale oil too, then really watch out.

ECONOMY: California consumer sentiment breaks into the black | Business | PE.com - Press-Enterprise

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...ess&id=9178009

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/25/us...ects.html?_r=0

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/job...-centers/3058/

http://www.voanews.com/content/calif...y/1735167.html

To answer the question of the thread, I don't know. Unless you've done a thorough and unbiased investigation into all 50 governors, then I don't think anyone can really say for certain. I severely doubt that anyone here has done so either....

P.S. CA is the 5th most developed state in the USA, Texas is number 26. Oh, and going by the 2012 election, there's only 1 red state in the top 10, and only 4 in the top 25.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_HDI

Last edited by CityLover9; 09-20-2013 at 10:01 AM..

Old 09-20-2013, 09:48 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,385,739 times
Let's look at the unemployment rates of some of these states:

Florida is at 7.0%, ranked 22nd best among the 50 states.
NY is at 7.6, ranked 33
Texas is 6.4 ranked 17
California is 8.9 ranked 47
Unemployment Rates for States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies