Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:16 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,975,651 times

Advertisements

The teens commit the crime and now parents can sue something is wrong here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 09:16 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,849,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm going to to take wild guess that if you walk into a party and find people spray painting the walls you should have a reasonable suspicion no one there owns the home.

Why is that? I have been in any number of homes well spray painted by the owner.

You would walk in and say what is going on?

And when you find out a smart kid would offset the peer pressure and leave. But some don't.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:35 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,190,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post

These kids knew that something was wrong they just didn't care.
...and the parents don't care. I remember when my Brothers got caught egging a neighbor's house. Cops came to the house but that was the end of the cops involvement, my Brothers were wishing the cops took them to jail.

They spent an entire day scrubbing the house, it was a cold day too. The wife even came out and suggested they had cleaned enough. Guess she felt sorry for them but that wasn't happening.

Then there was the time they got caught letting air out of car tires, any idea how many times you have to pump a manual pump to fill a car tire? My Brothers knows.

We joke about it now even with my Dad but they never egged any more houses or let any air out of car tires.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:37 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,190,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Why is that? I have been in any number of homes well spray painted by the owner.

You would walk in and say what is going on?

And when you find out a smart kid would offset the peer pressure and leave. But some don't.
Quit trying to make excuses for them, they knew exactly what was going on and to suggest otherwise is asinine.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:41 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,409,775 times
Quote:
Are you honestly saying that you've been in a number of homes that look like the home in that picture? Where the homeowners have scribbled various names on the wall, along with cuss words, and just random pictures? Where the homeowners break the windows and smash glass? Were you at this party lvoc?

I'm so tired of people talking about peer pressure. Peer pressure is that scariest thing in the world for a teen. That's bs. When I was a teen the scariest thing in the world was my mama. No matter what I thought my peers might do if I didn't go along with whatever they were talking about was nothing compared to what I KNEW my mama would do if I did. The day your kids are more afraid of their friends than you; you have lost the parental battle.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:50 PM

20,383 posts, read 20,007,726 times
Quote:
Actually you don't. And their is no indication that any sizable number of the "guests" vandalized anything.

YOu are of course welcome to your opinion. But you do not get your own set of facts.
You've made your points re your opinion of CD's dull-witted absolutists who aren't sophisticated enough to undestand the nuances of the story.

That said, what do you think tolerant, openminded, non-rightwingers think about the actions of the party attendees and their loving, attentive parents?

Me, I'm with the knuckle draggers who would like to see the party goers and their parents get their ass kicked. Physically and legally.

Last edited by doc1; 09-20-2013 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: spalling

Old 09-20-2013, 11:14 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,849,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
You've made your points re your opinion of CD's dull-witted absolutists who aren't sophiticated enough to undestand the nuances of the story.

That said, what do you think tolerant, openminded, non-rightwingers think about the actions of the party attendees and their loving, attentive parents?

Me, I'm with the knuckle draggers who would like to see the party goers and their parents get their ass kicked. Physically and legally.
You need to sort the set. Always the problem. Any kid of mine would have run into substantial problems at home for being there. Mitigated if they quickly got out. Extended if they had any participatory role.

The overall story though still has huge gaps. And I would hold a final reckoning until those filled in.

These things are never so simple.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:16 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,998,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I bet Holloway's pockets are a lot deeper than those of the parents of the feral brats that did this. He can bury them with the countersuit.
Let's hope so.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,946,137 times
Quote:
You should have paid more attention. Mere posting on facebook in no way makes on a public figure.

Read the tweets. Virtually none admit anything. There is no showing that presence at the party violated any law.

If he gets sued he has to defend himself. If he loses he could get nailed with the other sides legal fees. Probably not but he at least has to pay his own.

Face it guys. This poor fellow has a good civil action against some narrow set of people who ran a party that trashed his house. He may have criminal action available against some of them. But unless he has video he has a very tough road to make that stick.

The vast majority of those present have no liability to this guy. They simply attended a party.

And if he messes with them he may well get bitten.

Now I know this is all US law and foreign to you guys. This is not how you would deal with it in rural Oklahoma. So click your heels and head home.
Quote:
Someone may have broken into the house. That someone may be guilty of breaking and entering. But others attending. Nah. You think every time you attend a party you are responsible if the host does not do so legally? anyone who vandalized property is responsible for that act. Others present are not unless they participated in some way. People who stole stuff are responsible for that act. They are not responsible for stolen stuff they did not steal and don't know about.

If Hollloway states or implies they committed a crime and they did not his statement is false and actionable. And even if he wins he has to defend himself.

You have no right to publish pictures you find on the net unless you created them. It is called copyright. And it is not waived by publishing a picture on facebook.

It is absolutely amazing how little you guys know about US law.
you might want to read up on the law again, everyone of those kids that attended the party are guilty of a number of crimes, ranging from minor trespassing, to vandalism, to breaking and entering, to burglary, to underage drinking, if they were drinking alcohol and under 21, to any number of misdemeanors and felonies. and it doesnt matter if they knew the party was being held illegally in a home that was broken into or not. ignorance of the law is not a defense. it can be a mitigating factor in sentencing, but to walk into court and say, your honor i didnt know the people running the party broke into the house, wont cut the mustard.

so why are you making excuses for these for these idiot kids? they committed crimes, and they need to be punished, severely. what would YOU do if it was YOUR house these kids did this to? i am betting that you would not turn the other cheek, as you would want these kids prosecuted, and you would want the parents, or the kids, to pay for the damages they caused.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:44 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,115,281 times
Burglary of a dwelling- Entering a premise without permission of the owner and committing a crime therein. [in this case-destroying property]
Burglary is a felony. All people that were in the house should be arrested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies