Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 12:15 PM

57,291 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Why so hung up on the AR-15 and the definition of an assault weapon, suffice to say it's very close to the M16 and other weapons used by US soldiers. The AR-15 is the weapon of choice in many mass shootings, small percentage of murders but still popular in those cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 12:23 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You know, I haven't heard that much about this latest mass shooting. Granted, I haven't been home a lot.

But, it seems that we are getting used to such things. Yawn. Just another day in 'Merica.
The media lost interest when the police said No AR15 was used and the fact the kid was on a drug for depression, he was black and had a facebook page with very weak Muslim ties.. Agenda cant go forward so its no big deal.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:34 PM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
It "looks dangerous"? 2 dozen bodies carried out of an elementary school pretty much tells us it is dangerous but you`re correct. An assault pistol is just as deadly.
Did you seriously just write assault pistol?

LMCO

Old 09-21-2013, 12:53 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
What is the media/politicians fascination with the AR-15 (AR=Armalite Rifles, BTW, not assault rifle as it is no where near a true assault rifle in combat)? Media can barely describe one.
Why not go after cheaper and more deadly weapons criminals have been know to use?
Thoughts, discussions? Try not to get emotional. Facts would be great.
It's a multi-pronged offense on gun rights, thats the short answer.

The basic answer is because it looks like a real assault rifle that the military uses. One politician once stated that the way the rifle looks, combined with the public confusion over automatic and semi automatic weapons, will go far in getting these weapons banned. I can't find the link but wish I could.

Banning these weapons is just the first step, a gateway if you will, to banning more and more weapons. This already played out in England, so if anyone tells this won't happen, you can tell them they're full of it. England banned certain weapons after a mass shooting, so the next nut job used the next best thing, and so on and so forth until the final blow to gun rights in England was dealt after the 1996 Dunblane shootings. After that, all handguns were banned including a whole host of other draconian firearm restrictions.

This is why we can no longer compromise, if we give an inch, they absolutely WILL take a mile. Ban 30 round magazines and the next guy will use a bunch of ten round magazines. Are politicians saying that the damage that can be caused by ten round mags is somehow accpetable? I think not, so soon after they'd ban any kind of weapon that accepts a detachable magazine. It's just the logical next step in the process.

wake up people.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:56 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You know, I haven't heard that much about this latest mass shooting. Granted, I haven't been home a lot.

But, it seems that we are getting used to such things. Yawn. Just another day in 'Merica.
Thats because the latest doesn't fit the MSM's agenda. The shooter was black and no AR-15 was used.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:07 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,386 times
The AR-15 is becoming the pitbull of guns. The media paints it as a bad and highly powerful gun, just like they paint all pitbulls as a dangerous breed, and the ignorant masses eat it up.

The media is a powerful tool and it often misleads people. This is the fault of people themselves though, for being too stupid to think for themselves. Lack of critical thinking skills, this is the modern day plague in our great nation.

It's easy to push an agenda when you can scare people. Even if that fear doesn't really exist.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:11 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,386 times
Quote:
An assault pistol is just as deadly.
Umm.... what?

Old 09-21-2013, 01:21 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
It "looks dangerous"? 2 dozen bodies carried out of an elementary school pretty much tells us it is dangerous but you`re correct. An assault pistol is just as deadly.
So is an assault butcher knife or an assault bomb... Your vehicle that you drive is an assault weapon in the wrong hands.. Stop going after the tool and start going after the carpenter.. An AR-15 is no more dangerous, in fact less dangerous than my .308 Winchester hunting rifle.. It is also one of the least used firearms used in crimes..

Old 09-21-2013, 01:22 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Umm.... what?
Laughable isnt it, Ignorance is strong with this one...

Old 09-21-2013, 01:28 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The fact is, they go after it, because it's black, and scary looking.

I have a K98, 8mm mauser, thats far more dangerous than an AR-15. With the Hardened round, (Tungsten core), the round can penetrate a bit more than 3/4 of an inch of plain steel at a range of 550 yards. (That's 5 ½ football fields!) That means a kevlar vest has zero chance of stopping that round. While it only has a 5 round magazine, it's a far more lethal weapon.

The problem is, Politicians see a wood stock, and a bolt action, and automatically place it in a class that is less lethal than the mean looking black (Mattel toy) AR15. (AND folks, I already know, Mattel didn't make the AR15 OR the M16 so don't rag on me, I call it a mattel toy, because of it's plastic pieces).

Pink AR15 - YouTube pink ones kills just as good as black ones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies