Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:53 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,937,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Crush his larynx and that dude will go down since he can't breathe.
not necessarily, people strung out on drugs can do amazing things, for instance i knew of a person that fought someone high on drugs, broke both of the druggies arms, and the druggie still managed to mess the guy up with a knife. the key to stopping ANY attacker is to take out the knee. even if someone is high in drugs, once the knee is gone, they cant stand up, let alone run after you.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:56 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,764,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Where's the Great Debate question? Honestly, this sounds like it might be great debate material for a bunch of 8 year-old kids ("You're just a girl and you can't be as strong as me!"), but it could be that they were just trying to get your goat ( given some of your obvious concerns about the "feminist movement") because very few women want a man's physical strength. In fact, some women have to be reassured that weight training will not cause them to develop bulging muscles.

With very rare exception, women simply don't admire the same physical attributes for themselves that they seek in men. For example, some women think that bald men are sexy. I doubt they would seek baldness for themselves.

They really got to you, didn't they; enough for you to run-off and complain on C-D?
Wow, what is your problem, feeling a bit insecure lately? It is a legitimate concern worrying about defending ones self against an attacker. Most woman are not prepared and even women in the best physical condition, would be over powered by most men. Are you prepared? I doubt it.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:09 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,764,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Did you ask any of em if they carry a concealed weapon? If so they can take on anyone. That is why I make my wife carry if she is out working late or on her own anywhere. Those women who were braying are stupid. A man can't take care of himself if he's "jumped" out of nowhere etc. Sounds like a lot of party banter of who is tougher. You should have challenged one of these "hero" women to an arm wrasslin contest.
I hope she doesn't carry it in her purse, imagine digging around around trying to find it while being attacked? Is she and does she train/practice regularly?

Old 09-22-2013, 09:25 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,707,190 times
They get from TV shows. Today there is always the thin blonde, 96 pounds soaking wet, who beats up a 300 pound linebacker. Then we have the female super smart detective, policewoman, doctor, scientist, or other better-than-man characters that the America public seem to believe as being real. The average women is lured into a false sense of security thinking she can do the same thing. If confronted with a negative situation with a man she suddenly realizes that crap on TV was exactly that.

There may be a few women when matched with weaker man could win. Fact is women usually do not have good upper body strength or size. Most larger men could simply sit on a women and render her helpless.

More importantly most men do not want a tough-guy woman. It seems to me that the women who get the most attention from men are the feminine type of woman. Men still want a woman they can take care of even if it is only by perception.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:30 AM

19,023 posts, read 26,013,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

This is not male chauvinism ... it's common sense.
You have it figured out already.. it's common sense, but that mind set is rare these days in the pretend world of the PC.

These gals can pretend they can whip a guy who is 6, 6 and tips the scale at 275. The PC are nothing with out pretending.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:33 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,566,092 times
Maybe she's carrying a 357?

Old 09-22-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Perhaps thinking that way is what enables these women to freely move about the world. If they acknowledged the fact that they could be easily overpowered and harmed it might reduce their feeling of freedom or influence them to change the way they live.

I am personally hyper-aware that a man could overpower me. It seriously impacts how I live my life.

OP - If the women at the gathering had bragged about their weapons training instead of their gym training would you have been more impressed and assured of their ability to defend themselves against male attackers?
I have 4 1/2 sisters and a wife. I don't know all my 1/2 sisters well, but the 2 oldest I do. One is a PHd biologist and the other is a for humans medical doctor. These women carry fire arms because they are too small to carry a cop, and i fear the cops would be dreadfully boring for them anyway. They also work around drugs and prescription pads which are valuable in their own right considering the thugs the PC raise.

The hope is to never be attacked, but then the next hope is that they will listen to their inner selves and not waste time thinking that if they are nice the bad guys will just be nice back.
The PC always like that idea, but it seldom works.

I believe anyone interested in their personal security should take lessons and be armed.

I am nearing 62 but pretty fit, so I tend to doubt a 20 something female who works out could do very much to me. I am 6 feet and weigh 172. I still go winter camping in a tent on the ground in NH. I can still go more than 14 miles in a day in these hills too.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Did you ask any of em if they carry a concealed weapon? If so they can take on anyone. That is why I make my wife carry if she is out working late or on her own anywhere. Those women who were braying are stupid. A man can't take care of himself if he's "jumped" out of nowhere etc. Sounds like a lot of party banter of who is tougher. You should have challenged one of these "hero" women to an arm wrasslin contest.
I think this is all inside NYC limits which has another set of gun laws. Basically no hand guns in city limits

A 20 something female at a party there would be deemed in the same way if she were to light up a ciggy butt.

Probably the males they see as social peers are all nancy boys and these gals very likely can beat the tar of out these boys.

Now move in some boys from the bread belt, say any town west of West Point Nebraska and it's a whole other ball game.

These 20 something females wouldn't be able to budge a guy from there. They don't weigh what his leg does!

Old 09-22-2013, 09:54 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,390,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I wonder about women like that...if they fight back, will they get hurt more, or would a wuss rapist run, looking for easier prey? Flat out, I am no fighter. However, my daughter grew up with three brothers, she is tough. And has no issues about fighting back. She is strong too. Impressive upper body strength for a woman.
Unless they use a weapon it seems to be about the same for being injured resisting vs complying. When using a firearm to resist women are 2.5 times less likely to be injured.

Resistance to Violent Crime: What does the Research Show? | Active Response Training

I wonder of the women who choose to resist how many had some kind of defense training and if that has any correlation to being less injured.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post
If you get jumped and whacked in the back of the head, how are you going to use a weapon?

Thugs should be aware that women often carry, sometimes a small gun in the pocket of her jacket or kept under the passenger seat of her car.
I gotta agree there. I have been wacked on the side of my head in a bar facing the other way. The blow dropped me cold, and i had no idea it was coming.

I found myself outside dumped on the sidewalk and I was barred from coming back in for that night.

There was nothing i could do about that, but i knew who hit me, and there was something I could do about that when that person came out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies