Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:45 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,376,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
^^^ So sayeth the denialist Prophet Watts... (retired TV weatherman funded by the Heartland Institute) as well as Biblical Creationists, paid Exxon-Mobil, Donors Trust and Koch brother shills, potty British peers and assorted right wing tabloid 'journalists'.

Meanwhile climate scientists say:

Climate Change: Evidence

New analyses find evidence of human-caused climate change in half of the 12 extreme weather and climate events analyzed from 2012

Global Climate Change Indicators | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)
more tired head. ugh. you guys really need to get your facts straight. Everything I said in the post you accuse me of regurgitating from Watts, has been stated IN SENATE TESTAMONY by Roger Pielkie Jr. A man who in fact believes in Anthropoginc Global Warming.

Everything I said has also been stated by Judith Curry who also believes as RP2 does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 09:46 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,967,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post

Most of the posters here, even RWNJs agree that warming has occurred, even if they don't agree humans are responsible. With coastlines, it does not matter, rising sea levels will increase the likelihood of major losses of life and property along improperly safeguarded areas.
Climate change is constant. That is, it is ALWAYS changing. Man didn't do it. It has done it since the Earth came into existence.

Ill preparedness is common among those who live in risk, since risk becomes commonplace. There are tornadoes in OK, Hurricanes on the left and south coasts, earthquakes on the west coast, volcanoes all over the northwest, and lots more dangers. You can't actually "be fully prepared" for all of them.

The seas have been rising since recorded history began.

What was your point, other than to be gratuitously insulting?

Old 09-23-2013, 09:53 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,969,651 times
Quote:
The new IPCC AR5 report hasn't been released yet. Wait a few days for the actual report to be released before falsely claiming to have read it.

You must be reading conspiracy denialist websites like Watts Up With That or propaganda from tabloids about someone cherry-picking paragraphs out of context from an early draft of a 'leaked report'.
BBC News - Global warming pause 'central' to IPCC climate report

Old 09-23-2013, 03:09 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,785,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Yes, it is. But it will be more so over time. And as the recent Colorado floods demonstrated, just because a huge event has not occurred in recent history, there is no saying something big could not happen at any time.
And there's not a thing man could have done to stop Colorado's flooding. According to MMGW we should be pouring all our spare cash into keeping such things from happening.

It's sheer buffoonery at the very least.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:16 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Even in the face one of the weakest storm season in history, they're still locked on Sandy. G.W. Bush, Sandy Hook, and storm Sandy... the trifecta of progressive talking points.

Experts: Climate change leaves Rhode Island, region vulnerable to severe storms | Breaking News | providencejournal.com | The Providence Journal - The Providence Journal

The last sentence says it all; “Pay money now so we don’t have to pay more later,” he said.

Al Gore is now richer than Mitt Romney

The next time you see Al Gore on TV telling us how evil fossil fuels are, remember this: that fat gold Rolex on his chubby little wrist was paid for by oil.

Dam I was hoping for more jersey shore storms.. so I can hear that stupid strong then the storm song for the next 10 years!!! NOT!

Old 09-23-2013, 03:24 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
I was just visiting Rhode Island. It looks like they forgot the Hurricane of 1938. So has the rest of New England.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:24 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,785,070 times
Quote:
The new IPCC AR5 report hasn't been released yet. Wait a few days for the actual report to be released before falsely claiming to have read it.
In the wake of that year's report, a small number of embarrassing errors were detected in the underlying material. The organisation's reputation was also questioned in the Climategate rumpus.

Prof Arthur Petersen is the chief scientist at the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency and part of the Dutch delegation that will review the IPCC report.

"Overall, the message is, in that sense more conservative I expect, for this IPCC report compared to previous ones," said Prof Petersen.

"The language has become more complicated to understand, but it is more precise.

"It is a major feat that we have been able to produce such a document which is such an adequate assessment of the science. That being said, it is virtually unreadable!"

The easiest way to maintain a failed position is to make it confusing, complicated, and so filled with legalese that it can't be interpreted intelligently.

Looks like this is the position they're shooting for. He calls it a major feat, and follows up with it's virtually unreadable. That tells me it's worth less than the paper it'll be printed on. Maybe they'll get another Pulitzer. They got one for being wrong in 2007. Obama got one for... what did he do to win one?

Last edited by steven_h; 09-23-2013 at 04:13 PM..

Old 09-24-2013, 05:05 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
more tired head. ugh. you guys really need to get your facts straight. Everything I said in the post you accuse me of regurgitating from Watts, has been stated IN SENATE TESTAMONY by Roger Pielkie Jr. A man who in fact believes in Anthropoginc Global Warming.

Everything I said has also been stated by Judith Curry who also believes as RP2 does.
No, neither of them makes the sort of nonsense denialist claims you do.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:07 AM

A journalist, not a climate scientist.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
In the wake of that year's report, a small number of embarrassing errors were detected in the underlying material. The organisation's reputation was also questioned in the Climategate rumpus.

Prof Arthur Petersen is the chief scientist at the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency and part of the Dutch delegation that will review the IPCC report.

"Overall, the message is, in that sense more conservative I expect, for this IPCC report compared to previous ones," said Prof Petersen.

"The language has become more complicated to understand, but it is more precise.

"It is a major feat that we have been able to produce such a document which is such an adequate assessment of the science. That being said, it is virtually unreadable!"

The easiest way to maintain a failed position is to make it confusing, complicated, and so filled with legalese that it can't be interpreted intelligently.

Looks like this is the position they're shooting for. He calls it a major feat, and follows up with it's virtually unreadable. That tells me it's worth less than the paper it'll be printed on. Maybe they'll get another Pulitzer. They got one for being wrong in 2007. Obama got one for... what did he do to win one?
Read your own links... or maybe they are too complicated for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies