Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,057,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The government hands out $1.3 billion to people who don't farm. This is a decent article about how farm subsidies have gone way off track.

Farm Program Pays $1.3 Billion to People Who Don't Farm
And we hand out a lot more than that in the form of entitlement programs to people who don't need them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 08:03 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,279,802 times
A little off topic, but does anyone know the actual breakdown for these subsidies? As in, how much are farmers getting paid per acre to not farm?

Old 09-22-2013, 08:03 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,162,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
You can thank Monsanto, USDA and FDA for this.
Farm subsidies: A welfare program for agribusiness
It's one of the most widely reviled federal programs. So why is Congress fighting to save farm subsidies
?

Why not kill subsidies altogether?

Politics. The farm lobby has immense power in Washington, thanks to its generous contributions to congressional campaigns and political parties, and to the large number of legislators from farm statesmost of them Republican. Democrats have also traditionally supported the farm bill because it contains food stamp funding. This year, that partnership broke down, when House Republicans passed a version of the farm bill that strips the legislation of its food stamp provisions for the first time since 1973. President Obama responded by threatening to veto any legislation that doesn't include food stamp funding. At the moment, the situation is at a stalemate.

Farm subsidies: A welfare program for agribusiness - The Week

Old 09-22-2013, 08:05 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,824,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Exactly right and why isn't Teapotty favorite Michele Bachmann's name on that list? She's a long time farm subsidy welfare queen.

Welfare Queen Michele Bachmann Exposed By Tax Returns - YouTube

Give Michele Bachman another corn dog.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:07 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,722,050 times
The Tea Party is in large part made up of people who are on government handouts. Take a look at the Red States. They are farmers and senior citizens and the the brainwashed who didn't graduate from high school. I live in a town where there are 8 high school dropouts for every college graduate. The town always votes Republican. The town is one giant gubbermint handout from SS down to disabilities. Half the town has Snap, Schip, and Medicaid. The other half has Medicare. Nobody pays taxes in this town except a few people who vote Democrat. I wish there was a way that those who complain about big gubbermint could by cut off from aid. When you look at a welfare recipient you are looking at a Republican.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Give Michele Bachman another corn dog.
...and I know where I'd like to telll her to put it.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:08 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,974,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I didn't say anything about job creators, you're the only one in here making ignorant and sweeping generalizations.
Yes, you did. I can't read your mind, therefore your words are what I use to gather your intended meaning. Your words suggest the "job creators" should be subsidized.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,824,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
You can thank Monsanto, USDA and FDA for this.
I hold Congress responsible.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
The Tea Party is in large part made up of people who are on government handouts. Take a look at the Red States. They are farmers and senior citizens and the the brainwashed who didn't graduate from high school. I live in a town where there are 8 high school dropouts for every college graduate. The town always votes Republican. The town is one giant gubbermint handout from SS down to disabilities. Half the town has Snap, Schip, and Medicaid. The other half has Medicare. Nobody pays taxes in this town except a few people who vote Democrat. I wish there was a way that those who complain about big gubbermint could by cut off from aid. When you look at a welfare recipient you are looking at a Republican.
Common knowledge that they suck up most if the taxes that blue states pay in.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:10 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,079,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I guess it makes sense, members of the House vote against the poor so they can have more money for themselves.

Rep. Stephen Fincher: his farm received $3,483,824 from the federal government for doing absolutely nothing.

Rep. Vicky Hartzler of Missouri: $800,000.

Rep. Kristi Noem of South Dakota: $3,400,000.

Rep. Marlin Stutzman: $200,000.

These Republicans Who Voted To Cut Food Stamps Personally Received Large Farm Subsidies

What kind of low-life scum fight to keep food from hungry families while they personally receive several thousand times more money that they also did nothing to deserve?
Politicians don't share the booty from their looting.

We true conservatives have been trying to explain that to dummycrats forever.

Dummycrats who voted FOR food stamps are looting the taxpayers as well, just on different issues.

The difference is, that where possible, we Tea Party people have primaried our big government politicians out of office.....lefties continue to vote the same looters in time after time....charlie rangel and nancy pelosi come to mind.

BTW....I couldn't care less about people losing government benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies