Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:11 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,726,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
And we hand out a lot more than that in the form of entitlement programs to people who don't need them.
I had a friend of mine who left the family farm in Montana who for 10 straight years got a check for $7500 per year for 10 straight years living hundreds of miles from Montana. He hated gubbermint welfare. The land he got the checks for was land grant and had been in his family for 100 years. In other words he got a check for absolutely nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 08:13 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,296,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
The Tea Party is in large part made up of people who are on government handouts. Take a look at the Red States. They are farmers and senior citizens and the the brainwashed who didn't graduate from high school. I live in a town where there are 8 high school dropouts for every college graduate. The town always votes Republican. The town is one giant gubbermint handout from SS down to disabilities. Half the town has Snap, Schip, and Medicaid. The other half has Medicare. Nobody pays taxes in this town except a few people who vote Democrat. I wish there was a way that those who complain about big gubbermint could by cut off from aid. When you look at a welfare recipient you are looking at a Republican.
Not usually. There is a strong correlation between income and voting patterns. The higher the income the more people that vote republican. Oddly, the opposite trend is seen when you look at education and voting patterns. For whatever reason, less education correlates with voting republican. The tendency to vote republican also increases with age.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:14 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,196,110 times
Quote:
I had a friend of mine who left the family farm in Montana who for 10 straight years got a check for $7500 per year for 10 straight years living hundreds of miles from Montana. He hated gubbermint welfare. The land he got the checks for was land grant and had been in his family for 100 years. In other words he got a check for absolutely nothing.
I'll bet he supports the Tea Party...

Old 09-22-2013, 08:18 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,726,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Not usually. There is a strong correlation between income and voting patterns. The higher the income the more people that vote republican. Oddly, the opposite trend is seen when you look at education and voting patterns. For whatever reason, less education correlates with voting republican. The tendency to vote republican also increases with age.
How do you explain places like Seattle and the Silicon Valley? An article in the Seattle Times today reported that people with incomes over $100,000 supported the ACA and those with low incomes did not. It didn't make any sense. Those on the dole gladly take the handout while blasting Dems... interesting stuff. I forgot to mention thanks to the EIC I doubt if anyone pays taxes around here except maybe a few dems from out of the area.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:21 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,024,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Not true at all. Most, if not all, of the wealthiest counties in the US are reliably Democratic. Also, people that make money in the low 6 figures, aka upper middle class, usually support Democratic candidates. The latter are your typical liberal NPR listeners

Old 09-22-2013, 08:21 PM

3,622 posts, read 3,904,837 times
Quote:
The Tea Party is in large part made up of people who are on government handouts. Take a look at the Red States. They are farmers and senior citizens and the the brainwashed who didn't graduate from high school. I live in a town where there are 8 high school dropouts for every college graduate. The town always votes Republican. The town is one giant gubbermint handout from SS down to disabilities. Half the town has Snap, Schip, and Medicaid. The other half has Medicare. Nobody pays taxes in this town except a few people who vote Democrat. I wish there was a way that those who complain about big gubbermint could by cut off from aid. When you look at a welfare recipient you are looking at a Republican.
I'll take your word on your town, but on a national level that's not the case: Super-Economy: Are Welfare Recipients mostly Republican?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Not true at all. Most, if not all, of the wealthiest counties in the US are reliably Democratic. Also, people that make money in the low 6 figures usually support Democratic candidates. You might know them as the NPR crowd
Data on party affiliation by income disagrees: http://www.people-press.org/files/legacy/517-24.gif

Last edited by ALackOfCreativity; 09-22-2013 at 08:30 PM..

Old 09-22-2013, 08:22 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,907,754 times
Quote:
You do know that many many, if not the majority, of people on food stamps already work? Not everyone on food stamps is a fat, uneducated black woman that never had a job in her life complete with 10 kids from 4 boyfriends
Amen. I know several people who are on SNAP right now, and every one of them works full time and I bet works harder than many here. These are people who have worked all of their lives, and never took anything before, and it is difficult for them to accept help. But it's more difficult to go hungry. You have no idea what that monthly food allotment means in their lives. This is no small thing, being able to eat every month. People who think otherwise have never been down on their luck. In these hard times, there are many people in this position, through no fault of their own.

This cut means that more people will be either dropped from the rolls or have their monthly allotment decreased. The GOP is heartless in the flippant and callous way they treat their fellow Americans, as if this was no big deal. There but for the grace of God...

Old 09-22-2013, 08:28 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,196,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Amen. I know several people who are on SNAP right now, and every one of them works full time and I bet works harder than many here. These are people who have worked all of their lives, and never took anything before, and it is difficult for them to accept help. But it's more difficult to go hungry. You have no idea what that monthly food allotment means in their lives. This is no small thing, being able to eat every month. People who think otherwise have never been down on their luck. In these hard times, there are many people in this position, through no fault of their own.

This cut means that more people will be either dropped from the rolls or have their monthly allotment decreased. The GOP is heartless in the flippant and callous way they treat their fellow Americans, as if this was no big deal. There but for the grace of God...
Good post, but "fellow Americans"? I do not share any DNA with the right wing reptiles that slithered into Congress the past few years. Seriously, they should have been stepped on while they were in their shells in the nest. I'm sorry, that is not human behavior...too sci-fi.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:30 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,752,331 times
Quote:
Not true at all. Most, if not all, of the wealthiest counties in the US are reliably Democratic. Also, people that make money in the low 6 figures, aka upper middle class, usually support Democratic candidates. The latter are your typical liberal NPR listeners
The people who vote largest numbers for the Democrats are also the people who have the highest percentage on public assistance.

Blacks, Hispanics and High school dropouts all consistently vote for Democratic candidates and all have the highest percentage of welfare usage.

My county is one of the wealthiest counties in the country and it is also one of the most conservative.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:33 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,080,874 times
Quote:
And I'm sure you are always honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies