Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 08:31 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
France doesn't have a 40 hour work week. It's worked well for them for a very long time. Humans are not slaves to their jobs. Americans are on the most psychiatric medications on Earth. With long work hours, coupled with few vacation days, I wonder why it's about working smart, not hard. Only fools work hard without getting results (I call it inefficiency)

Point missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 08:32 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
And if they get a second job they will no longer qualify for the government subsidies because their income increased. What people need is 40 hours of work per week with one employer, Obamacare ruined that.
Increased at minimum wage? ROFLMAO now.

http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

Old 09-27-2013, 08:36 AM

25,754 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I can't stand Pelosi and I can't stand the "progressive" agenda.

But I guess this is an issue wherein I will be at odds with those I'm usually allied with on many issues. I've never "gotten" the idea of 40 hour workweek. Did God strike some plates that I'm not aware of? Working is what I must do to fund my life. As such, I work the number of hours it takes to fully fund my life, given my lifestyle. No more, no less. If that's 10 hours a week, great. If that's 80 hours a week, that sucks, but if I've chosen a lifestyle that requires it, then so be it. The hours I spend "at work" are the hours of my life that I have sold to someone else. I will never get them back and they are not my hours, once I've sold them. Therefore, I've chosen a lifestyle that requires less of my life to be sold and more of my life to remain mine. So a "40 hour" week means nothing in and of itself--it's gaged only by need. I keep as much of my time as possible.

With that in mind, I don't really care what Pelosi says... because it just makes me sick to hear her talk anyway.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:43 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Increased at minimum wage? ROFLMAO now.

Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
Very few people actually make minimum wage.

Eitc is just a negstive income tax that gives money to people if they make under a certain amount of money. It decentevises making more than that amount. People will not work two part time jobs because they still would not have health care coverage, will no longer receive IETC as well as not receiving Obamacare subsadies.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:08 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
What's dumb about having to go out and find another part time job?
Its dumb to believe its better that people have two part time jobs, instead of one full time one. If you don't understand the stupidity in that, then your even dumber then previously believed.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:10 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
And if they get a second job they will no longer qualify for the government subsidies because their income increased. What people need is 40 hours of work per week with one employer, Obamacare ruined that. When you reduce benifits based on income it will decentivize earning more income. It is the reason the "working poor" stay that way, they make choices to purposefully limit income so that they can stay on the dole because then next 10k dollars they make that year is matched by a reduction in government subsidies.
Exactly.. work 2 part time jobs, working now 58 hours a week instead of 40, earn less, lose benefits, more dependent upon government..

Democratic success.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:28 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats completely false..

Henry Ford dictated the 40 hour work week, when he figured out that he could run 3 shifts a day, and earn more money.

Unions didnt have legal authority until DECADES later.
He may have set the standard, but unions negotiated for it around the country.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:33 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Here's the skinny on the 40 hour work week.......

Working time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-27-2013, 09:34 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Just don't forget about the working man who is paying for your college degree.
Oh of course not. How could I forget myself when I put the requisite money into it back when I first started serving? The Treasury Department pays me, but I know the money has to come from somewhere

Old 09-27-2013, 09:37 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Its dumb to believe its better that people have two part time jobs, instead of one full time one. If you don't understand the stupidity in that, then your even dumber then previously believed.
Well excuse me for being dumb, and working two jobs most of my life.

Quote:
Exactly.. work 2 part time jobs, working now 58 hours a week instead of 40, earn less, lose benefits, more dependent upon government..

Democratic success.
How many minimum wage slaves do you know of where the company or corporation they work for provides them with any benefits?

By your measure, anyone working a forty hour week is entitled to benefits. Sorry, it don't work thataway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies