Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 02:13 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times

Advertisements

I am in the middle of catching up on all Breaking Bad episodes on Netflix, and it just dawned on me that drug dealing is pure capitalism. It must be a Libertarian's dream. No real restraints, just cut throat competition, regulated soley by supply and demand with a minimum of government regulation or interference. The product can be diluted with no regard to safety. The restraint is provided by the police, but the police don't have a huge presence in some areas and if you're making enough money, most people, including cops and politicians, can be bought for the right price.

Look at the problems in Mexico. Will that happen here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 02:25 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Ummm, the drug business is totally reliant on government interference in the market. It is the exact opposite of pure capitalism, but is very useful as a way to illustrate the evils of government meddling in the economy. The war on drugs with its massive government spending guarantees inordinately high profits, which begets the violence and terror and crime associated with protecting lucrative franchises.

If you wanted to see pure capitalism in the drug business, legalize it all, lay off 50% of the cops and judges and wardens, give the resulting peace dividend back to the taxpayers. How many problems do we have with Walgreens and CVX selling liquor, versus the gang violence associated with Prohibition?

Old 09-26-2013, 02:29 PM

215 posts, read 297,475 times
Sex trafficking is another example of supply and demand, but there's that little problem with the commodity being sold against their will.

Once users are addicted to drugs, do they also have the free will to make a choice not to use without some type of intervention?

I don't think those illegal activities are good examples of unrestrained capitalism because we do have laws prohibiting the industry.

A better example of unrestrained capitalism is Lucy setting up the lemonade stand and charging 50 cents for a glass of lemonade. She makes good lemonade, no one dies from it or becomes so addicted to it they are willing to kill for it. And the government doesn't shut her down for not carrying the appropriate licenses and permits. She is actually able to keep most of the money she has earned, and the government doesn't expect her to give 60% of her profits away to the kid riding around on his skateboard all day.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:30 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
The problems with drugs is that they ARE regulated by the US government... so... no, not unrestrained capitalism... try again... people have tried to decrease the regulation on drugs... I wonder what would happen if weed was not banned by the US government... what would happen to all those jail cells... wow, sounds like a good idea to me...

Old 09-26-2013, 02:37 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
It is absolutely amazing what some people will call free market capitalism.

It doesn't seem to matter how dishonest, someone will go spouting nonsense, as if they think they are so clever nobody else will notice they're wrong.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:43 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I am in the middle of catching up on all Breaking Bad episodes on Netflix, and it just dawned on me that drug dealing is pure capitalism. It must be a Libertarian's dream. No real restraints, just cut throat competition, regulated soley by supply and demand with a minimum of government regulation or interference. The product can be diluted with no regard to safety. The restraint is provided by the police, but the police don't have a huge presence in some areas and if you're making enough money, most people, including cops and politicians, can be bought for the right price.

Your premise: Failed
Your example: Failed
Your logic: Failed
Your lame attempt to slam Libertarianism: Uber Fail!!!!

Old 09-26-2013, 02:43 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The problems with drugs is that they ARE regulated by the US government... so... no, not unrestrained capitalism... try again... people have tried to decrease the regulation on drugs... I wonder what would happen if weed was not banned by the US government... what would happen to all those jail cells... wow, sounds like a good idea to me...

Me thinks that a lot of those who are part of the Prison Industrial Complex would have to find a new line of work. Or they would have to actually fight real crimes instead of shaking down, and prosecuting people for possessing, consuming, or cultivating a plant!

Old 09-26-2013, 02:44 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,173,365 times
#threadfail

Old 09-26-2013, 02:52 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

I guess you've never heard of desoxyn. I suggest you google it.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:58 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,915 times
The problem with drug addiction is that it destroys freedom of choice, one of the bedrock principles of capitalism (competition, opportunity cost, and supply/demand are the others). By definition, an addict can't voluntarily stop consuming drugs without some external intervention, and furthermore consumption of drugs will have a destructive effect on addict (especially if they haven't fully developed personal responsibility - kids). Of course, the Social Darwinists would argue that letting drug addicts self-destruct would in the long run be the best solution for society; however unfettered drug suppliers would start competing for younger and fresher "customers". The only restraint would be the addict's ability to make money, either through legitimate work or crime. In 3rd world countries with lax law enforcement, it's not uncommon to see 7 y.o. kids on the streets with addiction problems. That's the "Libertarian Ideal" that they don't want to face and hence call this thread 'failed'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies