Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 10:05 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

Advertisements

Afro-Latin American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

White Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Asian Latin American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

... or can you only be "Latino" if you are a Mestizo now? Racism knows no boundaries.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:24 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Seven-year-old Jakiyah McKoy was crowned Little Miss Hispanic Delaware two weeks ago but was soon forced to relinquish her title after concerns over her heritage led to an investigation and sparked a backlash. The complaints reportedly came from pageant-goers who believed McKoy — who is black and was born in Brooklyn, NY — did not epitomize Latin beauty, according to Buzzfeed and Latino Rebels.

McKoy allegedly qualified because her grandmother was born in the Dominican Republic but a pageant official admits that her family was asked to confirm her heritage after the organization was questioned on the issue. The other contestants were allegedly not asked to provide proof of their backgrounds.
Key word in bold.

If she meets the criteria of the contest, then she should be able to keep her crown.

Why won't her family comply with a simple request - in compliance with the rules of the pageant?

Old 09-27-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Naw, it would be considered to be racist.
Yep - BET and Univision can exist, but try starting WET or Anglo TV and watch the liberals start foaming at the mouth and crying "RACISM!" at the top of their lungs.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturesFinest View Post
I don't force them to do anything they don't want to.
Harrier hopes that you force them to go to school, so long as it isn't a liberal indoctrination center, they should feel free to be truant from those.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
the only thing that was done wrong here is that those running the pageant should have made sure they asked for and got all documentation prior to the pageant.
We should do the same thing prior to a presidential election.

Harrier is still waiting to see the president's college transcripts.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:29 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Key word in bold.

If she meets the criteria of the contest, then she should be able to keep her crown.

Why won't her family comply with a simple request - in compliance with the rules of the pageant?

According to "DelawareOnline," the child's mother lives in Brooklyn, New York and she lives with her father in Wilmington, De. Her Dominican grandmother entered the country illegally and died without obtaining citizenship, thus no proof of her Hispanic heritage. Organizers claimed to have requested proof of her heritage before the August 31, contest. She could not produce it and she was allowed to compete (and pay the pageant fee$$) anyway. When she won, that's when some parents became upset.

Either ALL contestants should have to prove their Hispanic heritage or none at all.

But let's be honest, many Hispanics DENY the existence of any African ancestry.

http://kathmanduk2.wordpress.com/200...nican-republic

Old 09-27-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
And when white people embrace it, like the South African American kid who was turned down for an African American scholarship a few years a go, they are ripped to shreds.

Go figure.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:08 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I assure you that the US gov recognizes self identified Hispanics, you will not ever see the EEOC going around and asking for "proof" that a person is Hispanic during a discrimination case.

Given the vague definition of what a Hispanic is, anyone can claim to be a Hispanic.

This reminds me of that NASCAR case, where some Puerto Rican guy won some diversity Hispanic outreach thing or something, but NASCAR officials did not like it because he was not Hispanic enough, he was very white with red hair.

I think many people do not know what the definition of Hispanic is, it is basically a US gov invented legal term; my opinion for splitting the white demographics for voting purposes, hence why the vague definition.
Indeed - it is a total farce. Here's the "definition" of "hispanic/latino" from the horse's mouth (the US Census Bureau):

"Hispanics or Latinos are those people who classified themselves in one of the specific Spanish, Hispanic, or Latino."

Hispanic or Latino Origin

In other words, you are hispanic if you claim to be. That's all. I've stated this before: My daughter was born to two Caucasian expatriates in a Latin American country. By law, she is also a citizen of that country. Therefore, she has every right to identify herself as "hispanic" or "latino" - she DOES have the papers (birth certificate, passport, etc.) to prove it... She doesn't speak a lick of Spanish, is blond, fair skinned, and has blue eyes. One of her childhood friends is the son of two Chinese Latin Americans who, themselves, were born in Latin America. He, too, is "hispanic/latino."

In other words, ANYONE can be hispanic.latino as long as they say they are. That's how idiotic these labels are...

Old 09-28-2013, 12:10 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Hispanic is a cultural designation....they probably wanted to confirm that the little girl's background included the Hispanic culture.
Not according to the US Census Bureau. According to them it has nothing to do with culture. It has EVERYTHING to do with identifying yourself (for WHATEVER reason) has "hispanic."

Old 09-28-2013, 12:10 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I had a problem like this with American latinos from New York City and New Jersey who slowly started to move in to northeast PA when I was a kid. I wasn't "latino" to them because I look too white

Quote:
According to "DelawareOnline," the child's mother lives in Brooklyn, New York and she lives with her father in Wilmington, De. Her Dominican grandmother entered the country illegally and died without obtaining citizenship, thus no proof of her Hispanic heritage. Organizers claimed to have requested proof of her heritage before the August 31, contest. She could not produce it and she was allowed to compete (and pay the pageant fee$$) anyway. When she won, that's when some parents became upset.

Either ALL contestants should have to prove their Hispanic heritage or none at all.

FROM THE ARCHIVES: BLACK DENIAL IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | BEAUTIFUL, ALSO, ARE THE SOULS OF MY BLACK SISTERS
There is a really big stigma to being black in Latin America, or looking very indigenous. One of my aunts hates her eyes because they are brown, while her other siblings all have green eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies