Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 09:00 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,779,038 times

Advertisements

Forget Hell!!!

Old 09-28-2013, 09:01 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I'll take that bet.
Native Americans in the American Civil War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_the_American_Civil_War

Some of these tribes even sent troops to serve in the Confederate army, and one Cherokee, Stand Watie, rose to the rank of brigadier general.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/confederacy-signs-treaties-with-choctaw-and-chickasaw-tribes
You clearly don't understand the term "Native American" means...

Old 09-28-2013, 09:03 PM

688 posts, read 652,720 times
It's really a shame if nice, respectable Southerns want to fly the Confederate Flag to point toward a proud American time (to which the South does have a lot to be proud of), but the truth is that the flag has been hijacked by a bunch of racists rednecks for far too long to represent anything but that outside of a historical context. The Confederate Flag elicits images of pro slavery and modern-day racists for most of the world. It's like wearing a swastika and telling everyone that you're not a Nazi, but that you wear your swastika in the classical Hindu "good luck" sense... it just doesn't work like that.

Last edited by CDJD; 09-28-2013 at 09:25 PM..

Old 09-28-2013, 09:11 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturesFinest View Post
I bet they don't realize that Jews,Blacks and Indians fought for the confederacy either...they must have all been RACISTS!
Arguably the second most powerful man in the Confederacy after Jefferson Davis himself was a Jew: Judah P. Benjamin.

Here in Philadelphia, the grand statuary group called "Religious Tolerance" was commissioned by the Fraternal Order of the B'nai B'rith (largest Jewish organization in the US) was by Sir Moses Ezekiel for the 1876 Centennial Exhibition here in Philly. Ezekiel was a young Jewish cadet in the Virginia Military Academy and a student of Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. He fought bravely at the battle of New Market and rose up the ranks in the Confederate army. After the war, living in Lexington, VA, he befriended Gen. Robert E. Lee, and showed the former general his drawings and sculptural studies. It was Lee himself who encouraged young Ezekiel to pursue a career in the fine arts. Ezekial studied in Rome, opened a studio there, and became so famous a sculptor that members of European royalty were buying his works. The King of Italy formally knighted him. The sculpture "Religious Tolerance" now stands on Independence Mall near Independence Hall right in front of the National Museum of American Jewish History. Ezekial had many commissions, one his most important was by the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) for a confederate memorial in Arlington Cemetery.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:20 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You clearly don't understand the term "Native American" means...
Go ahead and explain it for ALL of us.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:23 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
They were traitors, and they were taught a lesson about civics and the U.S. Constitution. When you attack a federal outpost in South Carolina and take arms against the Republic, you need to be taught a lesson, and they were.

Point to me the place in the Constitution, or the Declaration of Independence, where it says a state loses all it's sovereignty, by becoming part of the USA?

Point to me the place in the Constitution or, the Declaration of Independence, where it gives the federal government control of the individual States and if they stay in the Union.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:23 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
It's really a shame if nice, respectable Southerns want to fly the Confederate Flag to point toward a proud American time (to which the South does have a lot to be proud of), but the truth is that the flag has been hijacked by a bunch of racists rednecks for far too long to represent anything but that outside of a historical context. The Confederate Flag elicits images of pro slavery and modern-day racists for most of the world. It's like wearing a swastika and telling everyone that you're not a Nazi, and that you wear your swastika in the classical Hindu "good luck" sense... it just doesn't work like that.
Except a modern day German, to be consistent with the Confederate American today, would make no reference to the classical meaning of the Swastika, and instead say he is "honoring the brave German soldier and his way of life during WWII", which, of course, would also be honoring a Holocaust and a war of aggression that would ultimately yield 50 million victims. Probably wouldn't go over well.

But give them 150 years, and they will sound just like the flag wavers do today in Virginia and elsewhere.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:26 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
It's really a shame if nice, respectable Southerns want to fly the Confederate Flag to point toward a proud American time (to which the South does have a lot to be proud of), but the truth is that the flag has been hijacked by a bunch of racists rednecks for far too long to represent anything but that outside of a historical context. The Confederate Flag elicits images of pro slavery and modern-day racists for most of the world. It's like wearing a swastika and telling everyone that you're not a Nazi, and that you wear your swastika in the classical Hindu "good luck" sense... it just doesn't work like that.

^^^^^This really puts a face on the whole issue better than any thread I've ever read about the Stars and Bars. I agree, the Glorious Stars and Bars deserve a valid place in American history, representing bravery and commitment but unfortunately, it has been hijacked.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:26 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Point to me the place in the Constitution, or the Declaration of Independence, where it says a state loses all it's sovereignty, by becoming part of the USA?

Point to me the place in the Constitution or, the Declaration of Independence, where it gives the federal government control of the individual States and if they stay in the Union.
I never said they did. Sovereignty does not mean independence from the Union. If you and your ilk want independence from the Union, I urge you to emulate your freedom loving Confederates of 1861 and declare it by firing on a United States military outpost.

Let us know how it works out.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
^^^^^This really puts a face on the whole issue better than any thread I've ever read about the Stars and Bars. I agree, the Glorious Stars and Bars deserve a valid place in American history, representing bravery and commitment but unfortunately, it has been hijacked.
Apparently.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies