Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 02:38 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Speaking of stubborn. The ACA is law. The GOP are acting like asses, again. Enough said.
It might be law, but it's bad law, and it should be repealed. Just because it is law, doesn't mean it shouldn't be opposed and be repealed; especially when the vast majority of Americans are against it and want it repealed.

The founders gave us the legislative tools and machinery, the mechanism, to repeal bad laws for a reason.

We shouldn't just accept such egregiously bad law with a shrug and an, "Oh, well." Besides, it is unconstitutional on so many levels.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Sure.. because we don't want to pay for your ass.
The Democrats are the asses here, aren't they?

Old 09-30-2013, 02:41 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
here is how his speech will go.
My fellow Americans first let me say that the failure of congress to raise the debt limit is not my fault. In fact nothing is my fault. I got Bin Laden . I would have gotten Assad but that wasn't my fault. I would have raised taxes which would have paid for everything but congress said no so that wasn't my fault. I would have raided every retirement acct in the nation and divided the money equally among all americans, but congress wouldn't let me. So that isnt my fault.
I wanted to raise taxes on everyone except the majority of those who voted for me. But congress wouldnt let me so that isnt my fault.
As president I have a hard job. It isnt easy finding ways to blame everyone but myself. In fact it isnt my fault that I have ran out of excuses for why it isnt my fault.
I tried to use the IRS to weed out those who make it hard to say it isn't my fault. But the GOP made a stink about it. Now we are stuck with people who make me find excuses and that isnt my fault.
LOL, tinman.

Get the popcorn,... "ooh we have seen this movie too many times". It's time to change the channel.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
So were state bans on abortion. Were pro-choice groups acting like asses to get the court to invalidate those laws instead of winning elections to do it? When it comes to liberals, what's good for the goose is never good for the gander.
Great point. And you're so right.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:42 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
LOL it is Obama making the excuses for every failure.
I demonize the GOP as much as I do the Dems.
Both sides are playing this game of my way or the high way. How can you possibly deny this fact?
Who passed a bill into law that the majority of Americans were against and are still against?
I know I know, the Dems know what is best for us. We are all small children who need the Dems to make our life decisions for us.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
here is how his speech will go.
My fellow Americans first let me say that the failure of congress to raise the debt limit is not my fault. In fact nothing is my fault. I got Bin Laden . I would have gotten Assad but that wasn't my fault. I would have raised taxes which would have paid for everything but congress said no so that wasn't my fault. I would have raided every retirement acct in the nation and divided the money equally among all americans, but congress wouldn't let me. So that isnt my fault.
I wanted to raise taxes on everyone except the majority of those who voted for me. But congress wouldnt let me so that isnt my fault.
As president I have a hard job. It isnt easy finding ways to blame everyone but myself. In fact it isnt my fault that I have ran out of excuses for why it isnt my fault.
I tried to use the IRS to weed out those who make it hard to say it isn't my fault. But the GOP made a stink about it. Now we are stuck with people who make me find excuses and that isnt my fault.
Ha, ha! Hilarious! Right on!

Old 09-30-2013, 02:43 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The Democrats are the asses here, aren't they?
Cutting back non-essentials. People on welfare do not perform essential jobs. Shouldn't that stop too. Oh that's right, they did their job and voted for Obama.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, tinman.

Get the popcorn,... "ooh we have seen this movie too many times". It's time to change the channel.
Yeah, the Obama show is about to begin. Maybe turn on the DVR for a while, watch something you've been saving for just such an ocassion.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:47 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Multiple reasons.

Reason #1:
The Democrats have also passed a bill to fund the government, and the Republicans refuse to vote on it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/28/us...bill.html?_r=0

Reason #2:
The Democratic bill from the Senate is a clean bill that simply deals with funding the government. The Republican bill from the House refuses to address the issue as it is, instead holding funding hostage to the unrelated political issue of the Affordable Care Act.
Boehner: House won't pass 'clean' spending bill

Reason #3:
There are not 51 votes in the Senate to pass the House bill. But there are 217 (the current majority threshold considering vacancies) votes in the House to pass the Senate bill.

GOP Rep. Raul Labrador says House can pass clean CR - YouTube

So, to sum it all up, the Democratic majority in the Senate is willing to pass the Senate bill, as is the Democratic minority in the House along with the help enough House Republicans who are willing to be responsible. The problem is that the House Republican leadership so far refuses to bring the clean Senate bill up for a vote, knowing it will pass, because of the ridiculous Hastert Rule, which puts party above country.

Game.
Set.
Match.
The Senate didn't "pass a bill", they amended the House Bill. Spending bills originate in the House. IF you don't know that, then the New York Times certainly should know it.

But Yes - "Game Set Match".
Enjoy your Victory of the Shutdown and everything that goes along with it.
Obama says he won't "negotiate anything", Reid agrees and says they won't even talk to the GOP.

Anyone want to start taking bets on how long the Shut-down (Game, Set, Match to the Democrats) will last? How far will the Stock Market fall? Congrats to the Dems on their "Game, Set, Match".

Looks like the Republicans are going to send back the CR with the Vitter Amendment added (no exemptions or subsidy for Congress & Capitol Hill employees) - they are still going with the "delay". Reid will send it back.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
LOL it is Obama making the excuses for every failure.
I demonize the GOP as much as I do the Dems.
Both sides are playing this game of my way or the high way. How can you possibly deny this fact?
Who passed a bill into law that the majority of Americans were against and are still against?
I know I know, the Dems know what is best for us. We are all small children who need the Dems to make our life decisions for us.
Yeah, and the way they did it is shameful, and violated the spirit of the Constitution with an "amendment" to a House bill, that completely replaced the text of that bill with the text of the ACA.

"Amendment?" Not by my definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies