Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 10:58 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,101,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
How do "kid/school shooting sprees" fall under the 2nd amendment? It really concerns me that you think they are somehow connected! They have nothing to do with each other!!
You have to ask? It's about the availability of guns. A lot of other countries have much more stringent gun laws. Virtually anyone in the States can get their hands on a gun. Anti-gun advocates have repeatedly called for stricter gun laws

Old 11-19-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
BadFish, you are more than likely 99% correct in that many have more than likely never handled a weapon, nor do they know what it is like to kill another human being. Those who haven't experienced watching a person die, will be quick to say what they would do

But, as I said before, I think the vigilante justice mentality is increasing because of our broken justice system and lack of manpower on various police forces, not to mention "unqualified officers".. The real issue is how to fix the problem, otherwise this occurance is going to occur more frequently - however without the luxury of having a recording
This is key

Old 11-19-2007, 11:00 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,202,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Ooo ooo ooo! Can we shoot loud cell phone talkers? How about kids who sag their pants? Or celebrities behaving badly?
I say: Let's shoot them all!!! Violate the rules of taste and common decency and you are a gonner!!!!!!

Why stop there? Why can't I shoot the guy who looked at me funny this morning or the lady who took my parking space? Could I shoot my boss? I don't think he likes me plus I think he might be doing illegal things like committing adultery with a secretary next door...

We could really have fun with these Texas laws!!!!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Good point. I live in NJ where everyone flees the property taxes for the Carolinas and other southern environs. While I think the property taxes are out of control as well, I also know that we have top notch schools, unlimited garbage pickup, and well equipped/well trained fire and police departments. I don't fault anyone for wanting to move, but I would caution folks to find out just what that $600 in property taxes on a $300K home pays for...
I live on a main drag in our town and I can tell you that the cops pull over tons of people. Not only that, they've been known to follow creepy folks far outside of town (and have turned those into bigtime criminal convictions). This being part of Los Angeles, they show the police chases on TV so we can all watch them.

We have a really excellent police force and I'm thrilled that they make as much money as they do. What can I say? I don't own a gun. That means, I'm less of a target for a burglary -- plus I really don't think I need one around here. This is a very high density area with a lot of good police.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
But, as I said before, I think the vigilante justice mentality is increasing because of our broken justice system and lack of manpower on various police forces, not to mention "unqualified officers".. The real issue is how to fix the problem, otherwise this occurance is going to occur more frequently - however without the luxury of having a recording
You can fix the problem by paying more for cops. Pay them as much as you would pay a McDonald's manager or a Wal-Mart manager.

Hire college grads and expect them to perform. Don't hire high school dropouts and let them just hang around in a uniform. Expect them to produce arrests and results.

Like I said, we get good cops here, but they get close to $70K TO START on this police force. It's one of the highest paid in Southern California. THEY ARE SMART!! They work hard!! We see them around all the time and these aren't the Dunkin' Donuts cops!! I've lived in a neighboring community but never on a main street. Now I'm living on a main street and I'm shocked at how many people they pull over. It's A LOT!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, if you want good cops, you have to pay for them. You need to make policing as lucretive as other jobs are. Make it a job where they can make $100K+ a year. You'll get really good cops if you do.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
You have to ask? It's about the availability of guns. A lot of other countries have much more stringent gun laws. Virtually anyone in the States can get their hands on a gun. Anti-gun advocates have repeatedly called for stricter gun laws

Well, guns are too available, but I wasn't going to talk about that in this thread. This thread is about vigilante justice.

I'm going to be quite angry if Texas doesn't file some sort of charges against this guy for shooting the two crooks. I realize that they might not file charges -- but if they don't, that also tells me that I need to carry a gun if I enter the state of Texas. I'm totally not willing to be a victim in this sort of "Texas vigilante justice system" so I'd have to pack too.

It sucks that I'm a really bad shot since I've never held a gun -- but what the hey. Is there a Texas law that says that you have to hit what you are aiming at?

Old 11-19-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Well, guns are too available, but I wasn't going to talk about that in this thread. This thread is about vigilante justice.

I'm going to be quite angry if Texas doesn't file some sort of charges against this guy for shooting the two crooks. I realize that they might not file charges -- but if they don't, that also tells me that I need to carry a gun if I enter the state of Texas. I'm totally not willing to be a victim in this sort of "Texas vigilante justice system" so I'd have to pack too.
I bet you wouldn't be willing to break into someone's home either, increasing your chances of survival I guess

Old 11-19-2007, 11:36 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,588,025 times
Quote:
You can fix the problem by paying more for cops. Pay them as much as you would pay a McDonald's manager or a Wal-Mart manager.

Hire college grads and expect them to perform. Don't hire high school dropouts and let them just hang around in a uniform. Expect them to produce arrests and results.

Like I said, we get good cops here, but they get close to $70K TO START on this police force. It's one of the highest paid in Southern California. THEY ARE SMART!! They work hard!! We see them around all the time and these aren't the Dunkin' Donuts cops!! I've lived in a neighboring community but never on a main street. Now I'm living on a main street and I'm shocked at how many people they pull over. It's A LOT!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, if you want good cops, you have to pay for them. You need to make policing as lucretive as other jobs are. Make it a job where they can make $100K+ a year. You'll get really good cops if you do.
This is not a "you" or "me" problem. This is a state issue. I agree that many cities don't pay cops well however I don't think starting them out at $100k per year is going to make the difference either. Personally, it may just attract applicants who are more interested in the salary versus wanting to make a difference. I think our Justice system is the #1 priority because it has to be frustrating for cops to go out day in and day out risking their lives, only for the same criminal he/she arrested to be released or offered reduced charges and/or plea bargain. This has to be a slap in the face

Old 11-20-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I bet you wouldn't be willing to break into someone's home either, increasing your chances of survival I guess
Yeah, except that, now that I understand how it works, if you frowned at me, I'd have to shoot you. Frowning is threatening behavior where I come from.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah, except that, now that I understand how it works, if you frowned at me, I'd have to shoot you. Frowning is threatening behavior where I come from.
Do what you gotta do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies