Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 01:22 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If Republicans added $1 Trillion dollars in spending to support Obamacare, Democrats would be tripping over themselves to pass the CR.

In other words, your post is a pointless strawman with endless hypotheticals.
1. Boehner passing a clean CR is not a strawman; it's a factual alternative.
2. Your $1T nonsense IS a strawman.

Their are more votes in favor of the CR than opposed to it. The only person stopping that from happening is Boehner.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:22 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Fighting against Obamacare? It's too late, it's law and it's legal and it's not going away. This does nothing to stop it.

I guess this guy and the 749,000 don't get it. Or just don't care, which is where I'd put my money.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The same could be said of Obama - or Reid. They did win the election, after all.
Yep. And there are more representatives that are acting on behalf of their constituents who want to pass a CR than there are that don't. Anyone trying to force the country to follow their minority position is trying to hijack the legislative process.

Quote:
Actually, you have it exactly backwards. The reason the WH and Dem's refused to negotiate on ACA is because any opening in negotiations would be transposed over to the coming debt ceiling fight. Democrats are afraid that negotiating now will lead to negotiating demands on the debt ceiling. (This is not my opinion. This is widely reported.) So, in order to avoid debt ceiling negotiations, Democrats made the conscious choice to let government shut down in order to reinforce their position leading into the bigger, more important issue of a debt ceiling increase.

Democrats are EQUALLY responsible for the shutdown as Republicans.
They don't need to negotiate b/c the majority of representatives support their position.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:26 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Default Disingenuous or Just Dumb

I'm becoming a little concerned about the alternate reality that some people live in.

I have seen a minority blame the Democrats for the shut down, when, it is indeed caused by the Republicans. They are the ones who have been saying "Repeal Obama care... or we'll shut down the government."

"Cut XXXX or we won't raise the debt limit."

Some Republicans in congress (a very few) are taking credit for the shut down itself.

I don't understand-- you wanted, you asked for it-- Be proud of what you've accomplished. I don't understand this tactic of (unconvincingly) running from what you did and hiding from it now... Most of all why are blaming the Republicans when you should be CREDITING yourselves?

You can only argue a single side of an argument and maintain any credibility.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:27 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
1. Boehner passing a clean CR is not a strawman; it's a factual alternative.
2. Your $1T nonsense IS a strawman.

Their are more votes in favor of the CR than opposed to it. The only person stopping that from happening is Boehner.
The point is that there are a kazillion factual alternatives. Right over your head it went.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:29 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'm becoming a little concerned about the alternate reality that some people live in.

I have seen a minority blame the Democrats for the shut down, when, it is indeed caused by the Republicans. They are the ones who have been saying "Repeal Obama care... or we'll shut down the government."

"Cut XXXX or we won't raise the debt limit."

Some Republicans in congress (a very few) are taking credit for the shut down itself.

I don't understand-- you wanted, you asked for it-- Be proud of what you've accomplished. I don't understand this tactic of (unconvincingly) running from what you did and hiding from it now... Most of all why are blaming the Republicans when you should be CREDITING yourselves?

You can only argue a single side of an argument and maintain any credibility.
People was legislation that actually works and this legislation doesn't. People like you would rather see failed legislation pushed forward than admit that Obama isn't perfect.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:29 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Just so we're clear on who's responsible for the shutdown

That's what keeps Boener and the tea partiers up at night.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Congress has not passed a budget since 1998. Every year for the last 15 years Congress has only passed Continuing Resolutions, Supplemental, and Omnibus bills.
Thats a complete lie..

Old 10-01-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
The point is that there are a kazillion factual alternatives. Right over your head it went.
You're comparing hypotheticals to facts. There are votes to pass the CR w/o any need to negotiate terms. That's not a hypothetical.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:33 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
People was legislation that actually works and this legislation doesn't. People like you would rather see failed legislation pushed forward than admit that Obama isn't perfect.

I didn't see the phrase Obama is perfect anywhere in the OP.

The GOP had 6.5, count 'em 6.5 years in charge with a rubber stamp for a President, and they did nothing for the uninsured. Nothing. The dems wrote Obamacare, and the GOP suggested what? "Well we propose buying insurance across state lines". Stupid idea. Why? Because the insurance industry levies it's premiums on 1. General age of the group, 2. General Health of the group, and 3. LOCATION of the group. Do you think the folks in Kansas want their premiums to rise because a bunch of people from NYC joined their group?

The GOP failed 40 times to repeal Obamacare, then threatened a shutdown if Obamacare wasn't defunded. Then sent the bill back with a provision to delay it for another year and cut the revenue for it.

Well, jinkies, the Senate called their bluff.

The GOP owns this, be proud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies