Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 12:29 PM

47,020 posts, read 26,093,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If a cruise doesn't have a lifeboat and needs the government to tell them to have one then they obviously are not a good company and won't get my business.
Looks like somebody needs to read up a little bit on the good old unregulated days of seafaring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 12:30 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,971,267 times
Quote:
Why do people on welfare fight so hard for welfare and getting more free stuff. Yep, they fight so hard for their way of life it must be damn good way of life.
So you believe you know who is on welfare or assistance programs here and who is not? Me thinks you know a lot less than you think you do.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:32 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,908,267 times
The fact is in many states welfare is generous and the people who live on it for years love it. Those who fall on hard times will usually use it for a short time or work while using it. These are the people most of us don't mind helping out. However my personal experience with knowing people on welfare most are of the stereotypical ones who keep making babies and are on for years. I often see comments like "if employers would hire them then they could get off welfare". WRONG. First off there are always jobs like McDonald's who will hire them. Most people on welfare are uneducated and should be happy to get any job. They don't deserve a good paying job with benefits until they work up to that. In high school and college employers were willing to give me horrible jobs and I proved I could do more and got experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Looks like somebody needs to read up a little bit on the good old unregulated days of seafaring.
Among other things they need to read up on

41,109 posts, read 25,791,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithytoves View Post
I am upset with the abusers. I'm not going to claim they don't exist, but I will say there are fewer of them than there are people like me...however they got here...who are genuinely doing the best they can. The abusers are few enough that I can't let my resentment of them get the better of me, but I do hate being lumped in with them. Live with that stereotype for even a few years and you become very tired, first mentally and emotionally, then physically. You start to wonder if there's something wrong with you or that you must have deserved it somehow. Some good, honest people get so tired they give up, and appear to live up to the stereotypes. I'm not one of them, either, but I've seen it happen and I know how it goes. They lose their dignity and hate themselves. The situation just gets worse from there.

So yeah, again, the abusers make me angry...they make all self-respecting, ethical poor on any form of public assistance furious. That relatively small group casts a very long shadow that is toxic to us all. I know dozens of people who would take a much stronger stand against cases of welfare abuse around them if they felt like some small business owner would give them a good job so they could get out of that environment. They would gladly push for small business owners to get a nice big tax break for hiring the long-term unemployed, too, but you have to show you are willing to give us a chance. I'm sure there is more that could come from taking a chance on a little understanding. A lot of today's poor could be great political allies for the working and middle class because we would like to be where you are at.

Re Obama...I'm staying out of that one. I worship no politician, so for balance, I can't despise them, either. I keep my focus more on local and state elections, where somebody might actually hear me. Every president disappoints me in the end.
Well then, the same thing that Obama did to small business owners, lumping small businesses in the the "wealthy" and campaigned on raising their taxes. The truly rich have wealth, upper middle class has income which is what Obama increased taxes on hence decreasing working capital (money to pay you with). Obama knows that his followers are not smart enough, educated enough to know the difference.

As with anyone with common sense, when expenses goes up there are two options, work more or cut expenses. Taxes are an expense and when they go up businesses are forced to look for ways to cut expenses, if the economy is not good they will cut your jobs. You're post was intelligent until you got to the part suggesting that sm business should hire to get your support. Small businesses don't print money like the government. So if you expect small businesses to hire, common sense should tell you that they can't hire until the economy supports hiring you and or their expenses are decreased. So if you are truly looking for a job voting to raise taxes is counter productive to your goal.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:35 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,124,970 times
Quote:
Oh so take it out of the economy, government charges a huge handling fee (paying their friends) then put back into the economy (the bones). Yea, that's liberals idea of stimulus.
What does more for the economy: $1 in a cash register or a $1 in a trust fund?

Old 10-04-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
What does more for the economy: $1 in a cash register or a $1 in a trust fund?
See Slithytoves, EddieB.Good is a typical example of an Obama supporter who doesn't know the difference between wealth and income. Obama raised taxes income, higher taxes means higher expenses which leads to being forced to make cuts to make sure the people who are still employed get a paycheck, the vendors are paid etc. Worse yet Obama supporter types refuse to even try to learn the difference and why he will remain poor with that attitude.

We all know Warren Buffet is uber rich yet his yearly income is $100K. Why is that, he is uber rich right? This hypocrite knows the difference between wealth, income and how government taxes income. The uber rich know how to shield money from the government and he knew Obama was spinning it and lying to the American people. Yet the hypocrite Warren Buffet pretended to be your friend and say yes, raise taxes when he knew full well he was shielded from Obama's higher taxes.

Last edited by petch751; 10-04-2013 at 12:50 PM..

Old 10-04-2013, 12:55 PM

And Warren Buffets firm wants to keep its tax bill low, well, that’s its right, too. But it would be nice if this “pro-tax-hike” tycoon were a bit more honest about it. There’s more. Obama, and co-conspirators like Buffett, claim to want to slap only “millionaires and billionaires. Fewer than a 250,000 taxpayers reported income over $1 million.

Looks like Obama and Buffett’s not the only disingenuous one here. But again, that’s clear from their individual behavior. Obama, Buffett and Democrats like Bill Clinton keep saying they want to pay more taxes. Fine. They can always write checks, did any of them do that?

Old 10-04-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
And Warren Buffets firm wants to keep its tax bill low, well, that’s its right, too. But it would be nice if this “pro-tax-hike” tycoon were a bit more honest about it. There’s more. Obama, and co-conspirators like Buffett, claim to want to slap only “millionaires and billionaires. Fewer than a 250,000 taxpayers reported income over $1 million.

Looks like Obama and Buffett’s not the only disingenuous one here. But again, that’s clear from their individual behavior. Obama, Buffett and Democrats like Bill Clinton keep saying they want to pay more taxes. Fine. They can always write checks, did any of them do that?
There are over 7.5 Million Millionaires and above in the US, I would suspect that more than 250,000 have an income of over 1 Million, nice try though. Sounds like some rich people are hiding their wealth (lieing), it why they have accountants. As an example I know more than one person that fits into that catagory, guess what almost all of them do, they have a set salary, and guess what their spouse also gets a slary and then they have a business account supposedly only for business expenses, which in reality is used add to their own expenses often being more than their combined salaries. There are many tricks the rich use to hide income, some legal some not so legal, but most of the rich use them. Welcome to reality, I hope it does not harm your opinion of those your support here so often too much

Old 10-04-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
There are over 7.5 Million Millionaires and above in the US, I would suspect that more than 250,000 have an income of over 1 Million, nice try though. Sounds like some rich people are hiding their wealth (lieing), it why they have accountants. As an example I know more than one person that fits into that catagory, guess what almost all of them do, they have a set salary, and guess what their spouse also gets a slary and then they have a business account supposedly only for business expenses, which in reality is used add to their own expenses often being more than their combined salaries. There are many tricks the rich use to hide income, some legal some not so legal, but most of the rich use them. Welcome to reality, I hope it does not harm your opinion of those your support here so often too much
Basically you want to steal other peoples money they worked to earn. Note taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies