Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 05:14 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
That includes people on Medicare, Medicaid, and VA.
The % with private or paid health insurance is in the range of 58-69%, depending upon which source you read. That leaves 30-40% with no health insurance, pre-ACA.
No, the last cencus said 85% or so had some form of health insurance, including those on Medicare/caid.

The 15% are mostly young adults who do not wish to purchase health care or people between jobs.

Plus the number uninsured includes illegal immigrants since the data was taken from the census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 05:16 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Hold your breath for that wet dream. The wet dream that leaves Americans uninsured and the economy in shambles. Shame on you, but I must say...you are typical of what the right wing has morphed into. Pathetic.
Another diatribe plus name calling without actually addressing anything I said.

You are typical of the big government democrats.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:36 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Another diatribe plus name calling without actually addressing anything I said.

You are typical of the big government democrats.
Address what...your mean spirited wishes for people that desire insurance and the security that comes with it and your ill wishes for a failing economy? I certainly did.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:52 PM

14,029 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
We get to decide when the constitution is amended to include them, last time I read the constition I didn't see anything about health insurance.
one could argue its ok under the "necessary and proper" clause or the "promote the general welfare" clause.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:12 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,937,766 times
Quote:
No, health insurance is available to everyone, just some are at a higher price.
Where do you get this totally incorrect nonsense? Do you lift a finger at all to check things out?
Quote:
No, the last cencus said 85% or so had some form of health insurance, including those on Medicare/caid.
The 15% are mostly young adults who do not wish to purchase health care or people between jobs.
Plus the number uninsured includes illegal immigrants since the data was taken from the census.
Too many people are either denied or cannot afford insurance. Others who opt out because they are young, healthy, and "bulletproof" are freeloaders because they still demand treatment when they have an accident or get sick. The last-resort emergency room costs incurred are much higher than preventive medicine. The thousands of dollars they can't pay is passed on to insurance customers because hospitals, since they cannot just absorb the cost, must raise prices. Billionaire CEOs scrape a big chunk off the top for profit and their own salaries while dropping subscribers who become "too costly". This is the old system that you love so much.
Quote:
Only the democrats could possibly believe that when Obamacare fails, like it will, that the American people will support a more far reaching democrat fascist program.

Obamacare will be a tipping point in America that will shift the country back conservative. It will be a complete failure. Costs will ballon, people will remain uninsured and premiums will continue to skyrocket.
Fascist program? You don't even lift a finger to verify definitions. What is it about dictionaries that is so frightening to Fox dittoheads?
And with the ACA mandate, who will remain uninsured? Do you know about Romneycare? Have you a clue about what you're saying?

Old 10-03-2013, 06:15 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
This is why the current crop of republicans is truly scraping bottom. Deny a fundamental right to millions of fellow citizens, even their own voters, so they can stick it to the uppity guy. Pathetic is too kind a word.
Fundamental rights? Self-defense is a fundamental right.

The ACA is a failure because it's not insurance. It's just more welfare. It was passed against the will of the people. I have advocated for a German-type system for years. As a business owner I recognized the pros and cons associated with employer-medical.

Every group I met with over the last decade made it clear that a payroll-tax based system was not an option - at least in California.

It the state of Kentucky wanted to implement a single-payer system nothing prevented them from doing that. Ironically the ACA effectively killed state systems. A recent article seemed to indicate that the system in MA may not comply with the ACA. We have heard nothing but praise about their system (Romney care) and now it may not comply.

There isn't anything wrong with society collectively deciding to provide medical care to its citizens. Everyone should have to contribute.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Reading comprehension?
** M.A.Mom said republicons are standing in the way of bargaining with Big Pharma. Billionaire-backed and co-opted teabaggers are just the latest supporters of the corporate fascist ideology. The VA is currently allowed the bargaining privilege, but please don't remind the repubs.
** Obamacare can and will be stopped - when single-payer takes over. Time to hide under the bed?
That is when things will really get bizarre. When the Democrats try to pass a single payer law, the teabaggers and Republicans will have no choice but to support Obamacare. They won't call it Obamacare by then, they will label it something right wingy and catchy like Freedomcare instead.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:29 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,937,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I don't want the government involved in my healthcare. If we can insure everyone without creating a huge inefficient government bureaucracy, then let's do it.
That's the republican poin of view anything else is a sideshow of lies.
Favoring a corporate bureaucracy over an elected government one is a fascist point of view.
Quote:
We get to decide when the constitution is amended to include them, last time I read the constition I didn't see anything about health insurance.
You read the "Constition"? Okay, it does not mention corporations - so you are inadvertently correct there.
Do you know that it proclaims the responsibility of government to promote the "general welfare" of its citizens?

Last edited by detwahDJ; 10-03-2013 at 06:40 PM..

Old 10-03-2013, 06:55 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,815,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
This is why the current crop of republicans is truly scraping bottom. Deny a fundamental right to millions of fellow citizens, even their own voters, so they can stick it to the uppity guy. Pathetic is too kind a word.
I'll ask this question again. How is this a fundamental right if you have to pay for it?

Old 10-03-2013, 07:01 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,815,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Favoring a corporate bureaucracy over an elected government one is a fascist point of view.
There are thousands of unelected bureaucrats in government agencies that rule over us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies