Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 11:04 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I am a conservative-

I believe that NAFTA, China most favored nation trade status, and the Pacific Rim trade agreement is an abomination.

I will NEVER send another dime to the republican party- NEVER.

I will support only individual candidates that support the middle class and have the best interest of US manufacturing and fiscal, middle class prosperity, and the best interest of the average US citizen.

Sadly, the democrat party (unlike the time or FDR and Truman) opposes the middle class and the best interest of the US.

We need politicians who are not bought and sold by corporate special interests (much to the detriment of the middle class) and pander to every weird special interest group (gay lobby, illegal immigrants, global warming loons, trial lawyers, ect....).

We no longer have statesmen. We have carpetbaggers who seek to line their pockets via "public service" and seek to be millionaires by screwing America (see the Clintons).

Well said!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 11:35 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Wow. Such polar responses. In general, I agree with freeing up trade (not an all at once remove the floodgates and make everything free trade) approach. However, it's all in the details. What's labeled as free trade could be a means to bypass intellectual property, environmental regulations, or workers rights. Or it could be removing a tariff that should have never been there in the first place.

People like to complain about wage stagnation (it is a genuine issue), but the crap that you can buy with today's dollars blow whatever you could buy in the 70's out of the water. My laptop for $540 would have cost like $2000 several years ago, my iphone is much better than phones back then for the same price, my car is much, much better than the one my dad bought for a similar amount of dough back in the 70's, my microwave is better, clothes are way cheaper...... A significant portion of this is due to free trade, an issue that has both benefits and drawbacks, something the posters seemed to miss on this thread.

In general, blocking free trade is not a good idea (again, if it's not something labeled as free trade but a legal copout). Look what import substitution did to Latin America, especially Venezuela. Belize has an absurd tariff. Support for it was drawn from some of the same platform points that the anti-NAFTA people posted here. In reality for them, it was a bunch of BS that just priced necessities out of the reach for many average Belize citizens. And the job situation will still crap.

Also, you have to look at the benefits the other country receives. I would support a bill that would hurt the US a little, but benefit another country a lot. A richer mexico will benefit the US in the long run. South Korea could not have blossomed like they did if trade was not as free as it was.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:43 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I would support a bill that would hurt the US a little, but benefit another country a lot. A richer mexico will benefit the US in the long run. South Korea could not have blossomed like they did if trade was not as free as it was.
Why would any nation on earth want to enact a policy that will hurt it? What kind of citizens would support such a bill???

If you would like to be generous, write a damn check. It's tax deductible.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:05 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,554 times
My feelings are here:

Why no scrutiny of Obama's Trans Pacific Agreement?

Old 06-05-2015, 01:18 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Not just proof... More proof...

Our founding fathers created a system of government that was designed to be slow and inefficient, for reasons like this. Unfortunately, those safeguards were disassembled through the passing of time.

And here we are today, held hostage by a rogue political system that certainly does not represent "we the people".
Yep. "They" took it over a long time ago.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:54 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
this is a trade deal to keep China from extending its power in the region, thats it.
*Ding Ding Ding*

Although I created this thread in 2013, and didn't realize it at the time, but this deal is truly to put a blow on China. What's even more funny to me is that with this deal, once we send our jobs to participating countries and they actually become wealthy, we'll look for even more countries to compete with. Think about it, we only worked with China to further damage their relations between the Soviets, we gave them millions of jobs to bring them somewhat into our sphere of influence; now look where that got us.

This kind of reminds me of the Dave Chappelle skit when he says:
They should've never gave you.. well, you know the rest.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:00 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times
The Sierra Club is running anti-TPP radio ads in SoCal asking people to stop the GOP from railroading this bill.

We got liberal protestors demanding that the state temporarily ban water intensive farming crops on farms that do mostly exports (the claim is that 1/3 of China's walnuts come from California and that each acre of walnuts consumes enough water to supply 10000 homes for a years AND that most of these farms in CA a re owned by China based companies)

Basically the set up is that if Obama gets this pact ratified, the DNC will then be able to run ads against the GOP over it's passage.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:27 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post

They are one and the same, its like WWE, sometimes one side acts as bad guys, the other side acts as good guys, but beyond the scenes, they are all in the same club together and you are not invited.

That is how they play the game among the few remaining partisan hacks that want to keep the illusion going.
Most people I talk to these days see no difference between both parties. Their top donors are the same.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:33 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
Ive got zero qualms on this but I am an open free market conservative. And make no apologies for that. I think opening up markets and removing tariffs is the ultimate way to improve the world.
But this should all be based on Voluntary Labor and also the consent of the governed with these trade pacts using Free Market Ideology. Correct?

The TPP Trade Deals are being kept from the citizens that are constitutionally allowed to know what it is.

250 Million+ Chinese had their lands stolen and forced to move into the cities to make widgets. That is not Free Market Economics either.

Slave Labor is being utilized in several TPP Trade Members.

There is no Free Market

Old 06-05-2015, 07:04 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Trade lets us get more for what we produce, and pay less for what we consume. It makes the world and America richer, on the whole. The trade agreement simply removes impediments to free trade, so is good--period. We will be richer as a consequence.

President Obama, for once in his otherwise miserable presidency, has got this right. The demagogues are riling up the ignorant for their own political benefit, without regard to the prosperity and income of the country. Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders are playing the roles of craven opportunists, and other Democrats are so indebted to Big Labor that they have no choice but to spout counterproductive, anti-prosperity nonsense. Evidently many posters have fallen for this line.
I'm not even going to bother citing this because there is so much information out there. But real wages (inflation-adjusted) have flatlined for years and labor force participation hasn't recovered to its levels 8 years ago. Free trade definitely has something to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies