Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 10:35 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I'm in favor of legalizing all drugs and making them as cheap as possible, i.e. not taxing them.

The drug addicts will be dead in a year and that problem will be solved.
I think this is a bit overslimplistic.

For one thing, humans have always used drugs of one kind or another. This is true throughout history and across cultures. It's not going to stop.

Also, there are many people who might be addicted to even heinous drugs like meth or heroin but manage to be "functional addicts" who can still navigate through day to day life.

We know alcohol and cigarettes kill many people every year. They are legal (though they carry age restrictions and are taxed) yet this hasn't resulted in smokers and heavy drinkers all dying off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 10:36 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Outlaw booze and then compare the stats again. I bet it would be on par with marijuana as the cause of car crashes.

You can't compare a readily available legal product with an illegal product and expect the same results.

Kitchen knives killed thousands in the past few years. I didn't find a single example of a homicide involving a 30mm canon. Sounds like they have the wrong one outlawed.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:38 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I think this is a bit overslimplistic.

For one thing, humans have always used drugs of one kind or another. This is true throughout history and across cultures. It's not going to stop.

Also, there are many people who might be addicted to even heinous drugs like meth or heroin but manage to be "functional addicts" who can still navigate through day to day life.

We know alcohol and cigarettes kill many people every year. They are legal (though they carry age restrictions and are taxed) yet this hasn't resulted in smokers and heavy drinkers all dying off.
Over time, they DO die off.

The Mediterranean countries have the lowest rates of alcoholism. This is where alcohol was first consumed. The highest rates of alcoholism are in peoples where it was more recently introduced, like Native Americans.

No one wants their daughter or son to marry a drunk.

Other drugs kill faster.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:40 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Outlaw booze and then compare the stats again. I bet it would be on par with marijuana as the cause of car crashes.

You can't compare a readily available legal product with an illegal product and expect the same results.

Kitchen knives killed thousands in the past few years. I didn't find a single example of a homicide involving a 30mm canon. Sounds like they have the wrong one outlawed.
Marijuana Users Are Safer Drivers Than Non-Marijuana Users, New Study Shows | Natural Solutions Radio

http://www.state-journal.com/citizen...e-safe-drivers

http://www.propertycasualty360.com/2...-safer-drivers

Old 10-12-2013, 10:42 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:

The Mediterranean countries have the lowest rates of alcoholism. This is where alcohol was first consumed. The highest rates of alcoholism are in peoples where it was more recently introduced, like Native Americans.

Other drugs kill faster.
Native Americans issues with alcohol are not strictly because it was introduced later. I'd say their drug abuse problems have more to do with being disconnected from their original culture, stripped of their land, and being pushed onto reservations. Many Native American cultures have used drugs in their religious practices for hundreds.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:00 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
Quote:
Yep. I just heard a news story about this kind of thing. Acetaminophen, for instance, when taken in even slightly higher than recommended doses over a period of a few days can cause severe renal system problems and results in a few hundred deaths in America each year.

The state in which I live is supposedly #1 in the nation for prescription drug abuse as well.
Sadly, you can bet this has been under reported and has taken a long time to even come out into more public awareness.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:15 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Yep. I just heard a news story about this kind of thing. Acetaminophen, for instance, when taken in even slightly higher than recommended doses over a period of a few days can cause severe renal system problems and results in a few hundred deaths in America each year.

The state in which I live is supposedly #1 in the nation for prescription drug abuse as well.

Acetaminophen wastes the liver, not the kidneys. This is especially true when taking it for hangovers as alcohol and acetaminophen together are a toxic duo on that organ.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) - Side Effects, Drug Interactions, Dosage - MedicineNet

Old 10-12-2013, 12:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:

Other drugs kill faster.
I highly doubt that Indians never were exposed to alcohol. It would be virtually impossible for them to have picked grapes and berries and corn, put some in pots and never once had them ferment on them. Besides the Indians in Mexico knew alcohol, they would ferment maguey plants. Alcohol is a natural substance that can be completely metabolized by the body.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:03 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Drug addicts are fine until they expect the taxpayers to provide them free health care, food stamps and welfare checks. It's time to get the government truly out of their addictions, let the addicts start paying their own way and if they lose their jobs because they prefer drugs to all else, they can figure it out.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:03 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Acetaminophen wastes the liver, not the kidneys. This is especially true when taking it for hangovers as alcohol and acetaminophen together are a toxic duo on that organ.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) - Side Effects, Drug Interactions, Dosage - MedicineNet
Oh sheesh. (Self-facepalm.)

My mistake. Not having much medical knowledge, I thought the liver was part of the renal system. I realized the renal system involved the kidneys, but I thought it included the liver as well.

I stand corrected, and thanks for the clarification. Knowledge is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies