Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:12 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Not that I'm condoning what China is doing at all but on the flip side, it's much easier to point fingers than it is to manage 1/4 of the world's population.
China has forced abortions for most people while party officials shamelessly flout the rules.

They also routinely abort baby girls or worse, kill or abandon baby girls once they're born. Pointing fingers? You bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 01:16 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
but less people = less crime, right?
Crime is measured in incidents per 100,000. Please take a statistics class.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:16 PM

640 posts, read 461,608 times
The number of children a couple has is their business as long as they can pay for them. If they begin to seek funding from the government to raise those kids however, then I'd say they were candidates for some birth control classes ~ if the kids kept coming I'd stop the government monetary assistance for new births....

Old 11-19-2007, 01:27 PM

63 posts, read 184,406 times
Nothing12... I couldn't agree with you more!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 03:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Kuhari, less is spent on the entire welfare program than on corporate welfare. I’d like to see corporate welfare stopped completely. Regan fabricated the “welfare queen” title, and you can always find anecdata to support any claim.

Most developing nations have incentives for people to not breed, it’s in the tax code. You get taxed for each child you produce. Conversely, if the population is dropping, they give tax breaks to breeders (see Singapore, Indonesia, etc).

There needs to be real sex education in the schools since it is not occurring in the home. Kids need to know about their bodies, the bodies of the opposite sex, reproductive choices and have safe and inexpensive birth control available. Abstinence does not work. Kids will have sex, it’s better that they be informed about their bodies.

Anecdote: My friend is an EMT. He said that sometimes women are in labor and had no idea that babies come from the vagina. And they panic. What kind of sex ed did these people have? Don’t we owe them some information?

Nothing12, I agree that most Americans are slaves to corporations, but I think the problem lies more with the evangelical religious who don’t look at the impact of more people and are more interested in controlling the rights of others than caring for those already here.

Personally, I believe that most people shouldn’t breed. Most people are lousy parents, they don’t raise their kids to be productive, thinking members of society.

Yes, I feel strongly about this issue. Yes, I was sterilized in my early 20s. Makes no difference to me if my mother had me or not.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:14 PM

640 posts, read 461,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yes, I feel strongly about this issue. Yes, I was sterilized in my early 20s. Makes no difference to me if my mother had me or not.
How sad that you feel that little for yourself....

Old 11-19-2007, 03:37 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yes, I was sterilized in my early 20s. Makes no difference to me if my mother had me or not.
Thank you

Old 11-19-2007, 03:50 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
I agree, the best would be sex education and prevention

Unfortunatley we are all slaves to the corporations in this country who want as many people populating it as possible, so we can buy their cheap crap and they can watch their stocks go up

They dont care about us, they want us to die, buy then die,

If we lived in a real country who cared about its citizens we would do things to make it a better place

USA was founded on great principles, unfortunatley it somehow got lost over the last 100 years to greedy capitalists businessmen
its the path of capitalism... without social programs and government regulations... eventually only so many people can become winners.. and previous winners become losers to their fellow winners.. its like a sand sifter... everyone starts on board.. but as you shake it.. only a few grains of sand end up still in it.... social protections and government regulations are what keeps throwing sand back into the sifter....
some people don't like the idea of there being so few winners.. and others don't like the idea of having a winner pay for losers to re-enter the game...
the real question is... is the whole sand sifter of capitalism really that efficient and good for a society? we argue back and forth about how it should happen.. without even questioning.. should it even happen at all?
in a perfect world.... options abound... but we are dealing with human beings who are selfish, kind, heartless, competitive, compassionate... all at the same time...
its just a big mess... life is such a mess sometimes...no matter what we do.. everyone will fail to be on the same page...

Old 11-19-2007, 03:59 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
China has forced abortions for most people while party officials shamelessly flout the rules.

They also routinely abort baby girls or worse, kill or abandon baby girls once they're born. Pointing fingers? You bet.
Haha I'm sorry but you are grossly misinformed. China will never "force" an abortion but they can definitely corner you into it by financially cutting you off. Don't believe the propoganda of "They're killing babies! They're having sweatshops! They're growing third nipples!". I lived in China and still regularly converse with my Chinese friends. Birth control and dire consequences for having a 2nd child--yes. Forced abortion, never. Party officially shamelessly "flout" the rules because they can afford the consequences. Special exceptions are also made to minority groups.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:28 PM

62 posts, read 299,754 times
There are a few posts stating that as long as the parents can afford the children it is fine to have as many as one wants. I think that is one aspect, but then we have to look at the burden on the earth and it's resources.

Each child goes through 5,000 diapers which get put in landfills. How much water, food, electricity, etc. does each child consume?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies