Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much would you pay your low skilled workers at your fast food restaurant?
Minimum Wage 28 45.90%
Fifty Cents Above Minimum Wage 2 3.28%
$1.00 above Minimum Wage 7 11.48%
$2.00- or more- above Minimum Wage 24 39.34%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 03:08 PM

3,410 posts, read 3,456,266 times

Advertisements

It works like this. If you open you resturant and pay too little you wont have applicants you like or they will leave for better paying jobs. Yes you pay the least needed to keep employees happy and loyal. You treat your employees with respect and pay them right they will be loyal to you and your business. Theres no set amount for that because every employee is different and brings different skills and work ethics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 03:20 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,943,543 times
In order to answer this properly various factors would need to be laid out. You can't just arbitrarily decide that and expect it to make financial sense. Most restaurants have very tight margins.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:38 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,761,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
In order to answer this properly various factors would need to be laid out. You can't just arbitrarily decide that and expect it to make financial sense. Most restaurants have very tight margins.
People do not understand that point & believe that employers are just being greedy and stingy.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,894,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
True but far and few in between. Most just want a little spending money, and $300+ or so every 2 weeks with no real bills to pay is usually plenty. Teens who care about doing a good job will do so with or without minimum wage, and they still aren't there that long.... The turnaround rate is extremely high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
And you would go out of business if your suggesting paying all of your dozen or so unskilled workers almost 50k a year with benefits EACH. Sounds nice though, but all of you high and mighty would fair a better chance if you ran the government instead of a fast food establishment because you all are being far from realistic... Where is all this money coming from? You going to start charging $10 per burger and $20 per meal? No let me guess, you're going to take the government model and take out a loan every year to pay the employees with until you go bankrupt and out of business?
i understand better than you know about employee turnover, having been in the hotel business for 25 years. even the good paying jobs in the hotel business have large turnover rates. which is one reason why the profit sharing plan. the second reason is that my payroll costs would not be out of line with other places in the area, and my payroll costs would not mean having to increase prices excessively to where i lose business.

third it also means that the employees are going to work to do a better job to get that bonus, which means satisfied customers, and repeat business. fourth it means that employees are generally going to stay around longer because they will feel more appreciated.

how the business owner treats the employees is just as important as how the employees treat the customers.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:43 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,614,919 times
This is a difficult question to answer. It depends on your business model, how much expenses you have, what type of sales you think you will have, and how much cash you have on hand. I suppose I would start with minimum wage. I would offer merit increases but, I would also offer a small amount of profit sharing to all employees. So the more they care about the business and the better the business does the more potential money they will make.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:49 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,403,338 times
I would pay above market wage. But I would focus my hiring on veterans, and people with disabilities to maximize my tax credits.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:55 PM

5,664 posts, read 5,097,278 times
Default If YOU opened a fast food restaurant in your town, how much would you pay the workers?

As little as possible. I'm in business to make money, not run a social welfare program. If I want to run a charity, I'll start a church and really rake in the bucks!

Old 10-19-2013, 05:26 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,037,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well that tells me that 40% of fast food workers are complete idiots. They wouldn't be smart enough to even understand a profit sharing program in the first place.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and you are assuming that pretty much only 15 year olds work in restaurants, which is not true. most fast food places are open when school is in session, so the teens are in school, and if that is the only employee base you are counting on, you are in deep trouble. and perhaps at 15 you might not have cared about anything but getting that paycheck, but there are teens out there that do care about doing a good job, and care about making as much money as possible as a result of doing a good job.
Really? Show me one. They are teenagers they don't give a rip. Yes you make a good point during the week the real losers have to provide the service.................and that service is usually terrible during lunchtime. Only liberals would want to pay folks a bonus for providing terrible service because they think it's fair. LOL..............you folks take the cake.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you think people need a college degree to get a decent pay? I personally have no problem paying people that work in fast food a living wage regardless of the education level.
Um.....yeah. What do you think some clown who takes orders should get a six figure salary? LOL

What is a "living wage"?? Where do you folks come up with these terms? Every job has an established wage. If you don't like your wage then get a better job. It's not rocket science unless your a liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies