Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 12:52 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,547,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Barak Obama was supposed to bring about a new level of respect for the USA. He was supposed to correct the tarnished image of America.

sigh.
Here's the really funny part to the whole "ugh, it's Obama's fault" thing. The Guardian posted a portion of the memo - you can see it here.

The memo's date is 2006, so it was referring to actions taken under GWB, and Obama is basically irrelevant.

Now, this doesn't bother me in the slightest - countries have been spying on one another for centuries now, and as far as I care, Bush would have been an idiot to have stopped it unilaterally, so you folks who want to whine that I'm "blaming" GWB can pass me. He did the right thing.

But you folks yammering about how this is some amazing move by Obama...well, you need to rethink what you're saying. You may as well be the republicans in Louisiana blaming Obama for Hurricane Katrina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 07:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Here's the really funny part to the whole "ugh, it's Obama's fault" thing. The Guardian posted a portion of the memo - you can see it here.

The memo's date is 2006, so it was referring to actions taken under GWB, and Obama is basically irrelevant.

Now, this doesn't bother me in the slightest - countries have been spying on one another for centuries now, and as far as I care, Bush would have been an idiot to have stopped it unilaterally, so you folks who want to whine that I'm "blaming" GWB can pass me. He did the right thing.

But you folks yammering about how this is some amazing move by Obama...well, you need to rethink what you're saying. You may as well be the republicans in Louisiana blaming Obama for Hurricane Katrina.
Obama is quite relevant to this. Under Obama all portions of the Patriot Act got RENEWED with no debate from either side.

What that shows is both D and R are lock step 100% behind all this spying.

Countries are now going to the UN complaining about what we are doing.
Our global image is changing from super power to super bully.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:07 AM

20,484 posts, read 12,407,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Our enemies no longer fear or respect us and now our friends don't. Nice going Obama. And yet another broken promise.
LOL!

it seems our enemies no longer fear and respect us, and our friends fear and detest us!

Old 10-25-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:

Nothing funny here at all. Barak Obama acknowledged that his predicessor had brougth Americas reputation in the world to a new low. He then promised to turn that around.

As you say, America did something in 2006 before he was president that was bad. He came into office with the intent of fixing these very things.

What did he do? HE MADE IT WORSE ON EVERY LEVEL.

I blame Obama for NOT DOING WHAT OBAMA SAID HE WOULD DO.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:19 AM

32,820 posts, read 19,513,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
A document has just been released that the NSA has monitored the calls of 35 world leaders. European leaders are now lashing out saying that this has been an unprecedented breach of trust.
the thing is this is nothing new...whether it be HLS, NSA, CIA, OSS, SIS, MI6, MI8, FBI, KBG. we have always spied on world leaders

Old 10-25-2013, 12:42 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,547,399 times
Quote:
Nothing funny here at all. Barak Obama acknowledged that his predicessor had brougth Americas reputation in the world to a new low. He then promised to turn that around.

As you say, America did something in 2006 before he was president that was bad. He came into office with the intent of fixing these very things.

You seriously thought that when Obama said his administration would be "transparent", he meant that he would dump our entire security system that has been built up over a century? Sorry, Congress will never let that idea fly, nor would the departments of State or Defense. The man was *clearly* talking about non-classified information only. Stuff like how laws are written, how many reports get put up on the web, and so forth. I don't recall the man saying a single word about how we wouldn't spy on other countries.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:46 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,351,165 times
Quote:

Judging by public opinion right now, I wouldn't say that he made it worse, but there isn't much difference to the Bush administration anymore.

And that tells a lot.

Especially this video outraged people here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6Kc5Xvr24Aw

Old 10-25-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
You seriously thought that when Obama said his administration would be "transparent", he meant that he would dump our entire security system that has been built up over a century? Sorry, Congress will never let that idea fly, nor would the departments of State or Defense. The man was *clearly* talking about non-classified information only. Stuff like how laws are written, how many reports get put up on the web, and so forth. I don't recall the man saying a single word about how we wouldn't spy on other countries.
Actually when Obama opened his mouth and started saying crazy stuff, I knew he was lying. He said, and we debated on C-D that Obama would in fact raise the reputation of America on the world stage.

He said it. all of his supporters here SAID IT.

He did the opposite. and now YOU are defending it.

that says more about you than it does about Obama. Those on this side knew he was a liar.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Judging by public opinion right now, I wouldn't say that he made it worse, but there isn't much difference to the Bush administration anymore.

And that tells a lot.
Timeline here...both parties are hip deep in allowing this spying to go on uncontrolled.

The Domestic Surveillance Boom, From Bush to Obama | Mother Jones

Old 10-25-2013, 12:51 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,752,171 times
spy on all the other world leaders ?

Why doesn't Obama say............" it's the right thing to do "

He uses that phrase to justify everything he does.

He learned that phrase as a community organizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies