Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 03:19 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,674,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Yes it is. Married couples are subsidized by single and head of household tax filers. Homeowners are subsidized by all the non homeowners. People with kids are subsidized by the child-free. The elderly are subsidized by the non elderly.
Just give it up, you clearly do not understand the terms being used here at all.

A tax deduction is usually a deduction on the total income amount i earned, and then the new number is calculated to show the taxes I have to pay, they are not a subsidy.

A subsidy is free money. It's money that is not mine. It's money from the government, money given to me from the taxpayers that I did not earn. Welfare, WIC, Food Stamps are a subsidy, it's giving me money that is not mine, and that I did not earn.

If I paid $8,000 in federal income taxes, and I take the standard deduction for married filing jointly with two children, and i get a $500 tax return, I still paid $7,500 in taxes. That $500 was a return on money I earned, on taxes I paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 03:35 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,258,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Just give it up, you clearly do not understand the terms being used here at all.

A tax deduction is usually a deduction on the total income amount i earned, and then the new number is calculated to show the taxes I have to pay, they are not a subsidy.

A subsidy is free money. It's money that is not mine. It's money from the government, money given to me from the taxpayers that I did not earn. Welfare, WIC, Food Stamps are a subsidy, it's giving me money that is not mine, and that I did not earn.

If I paid $8,000 in federal income taxes, and I take the standard deduction for married filing jointly with two children, and i get a $500 tax return, I still paid $7,500 in taxes. That $500 was a return on money I earned, on taxes I paid.
In order for you to get that deduction the government must raise taxes on the rest of us. The Obamacare subsidies are independent of your tax paying status.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:38 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
In order for you to get that deduction the government must raise taxes on the rest of us.
No they do not.. and even if true, thats still not a subsidy.. Subsidies are GIVING MONEY to someone, THATS NOT THEIRS.. If you have to raise taxes on the rest of "you", because I'm getting a deduction, you still arent giving me anything. You're only reducing the amout taken from me.. NOT A SUBSIDY.
Quote:
The Obamacare subsidies are independent of your tax paying status.
Kinda.. The subsidies are income based, and many of the same people who dont pay taxes, will be the saem ones receiving subsidies...

But Obamacare IS A SUBSIDY, its GIVING MONEY to someone thats not theirs.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:41 PM

155 posts, read 348,841 times
Obamacare is nothing more than an end run to expand de facto Medicaid Managed Care to everyone under 400% of the FPL. It is a form of welfare, nothing more and nothing less. It is just one more entitlement program that we cannot afford.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:43 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,640 times
Quote:
In order for you to get that deduction the government must raise taxes on the rest of us. The Obamacare subsidies are independent of your tax paying status.
Which makes the ACA really bad.

Add to the fact that there is a little provision in there where the ACA does not allow the IRS to take "penalize" people and take back even refunds for people who receive earn income tax credits.

Go figure. The ACA is all about giving money to subsidize their health care. And if they don't want the healthcare it makes the IRS powerless to automatically deduct the penalty even if those with earn income tax credits are due a refund.

But a tax payer customer will get their refunds automatically deducted if they are due a refund.

How is that fair?

Obamacare: Tax Or Penalty? Call It What You Want, But IRS Won't Be Able To Collect It - Forbes

Old 10-28-2013, 03:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
From that link:

Yes, insurance companies are cancelling policies that they can no longer sell because they don't meet the specifications of the ACA and replacing them with policies that DO meet those specifications - and the policies are comparatively priced.

What's the complaint again?
In some case for comparable rates.... In some cases can mean 1 out of a thousand and still be an accurate statement.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:48 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Which makes the ACA really bad.

Add to the fact that there is a little provision in there where the ACA does not allow the IRS to take "penalize" people and take back even refunds for people who receive earn income tax credits.

Go figure. The ACA is all about giving money to subsidize their health care. And if they don't want the healthcare it makes the IRS powerless to automatically deduct the penalty even if those with earn income tax credits are due a refund.

But a tax payer customer will get their refunds automatically deducted if they are due a refund.

How is that fair?

Obamacare: Tax Or Penalty? Call It What You Want, But IRS Won't Be Able To Collect It - Forbes
The way ACA is setup, Warren Buffet can cut his salary from BRK from $100K a year, to $25K a year, and get free healthcare.. I wonder how many on the left would celebrate this taking place..

Old 10-28-2013, 03:56 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,997 times
Quote:
Question Lycos.... are you a high school graduate, partial college, college grad, advanced degree?

Old 10-28-2013, 03:56 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,303,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I wonder how many people were faked out by Obama and the Democrats...because I'm dealing with people like this every day. They thought they would fill out a form, be given a card and they could just start hitting up doctors. People are shocked that not only do they have to pay for healthcare, they're paying for everyone else's healthcare too. Like this gal, from the LA Times, who'd been paying $90 a month -

"Now Harris, a self-employed lawyer, must shop for replacement insurance. The cheapest plan she has found will cost her $238 a month. She and her husband don't qualify for federal premium subsidies because they earn too much money, about $80,000 a year combined."

"It doesn't seem right to make the middle class pay so much more in order to give health insurance to everybody else," said Harris, who is three months pregnant. "This increase is simply not affordable."

LA Times

The LAT assures us that of course "The federal government picks up much of the tab", but where the hell do they think that money comes from.

They also explain where most of the pain is going to fall - "But middle-income consumers face an estimated 30% rate increase, on average, in California due to several factors tied to the healthcare law."

The middle class is being rolled again. Thanks Democrats. I hope you are enjoying your rate increase.

I wish my rate was going up only 30% instead 9f the actual 65% that it is.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:00 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,303,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
From that link:

Yes, insurance companies are cancelling policies that they can no longer sell because they don't meet the specifications of the ACA and replacing them with policies that DO meet those specifications - and the policies are comparatively priced.

What's the complaint again?

That is the complaint, a very valid one too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies