Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:38 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,024,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I wonder how many people were faked out by Obama and the Democrats...because I'm dealing with people like this every day. They thought they would fill out a form, be given a card and they could just start hitting up doctors. People are shocked that not only do they have to pay for healthcare, they're paying for everyone else's healthcare too. Like this gal, from the LA Times, who'd been paying $90 a month -

"Now Harris, a self-employed lawyer, must shop for replacement insurance. The cheapest plan she has found will cost her $238 a month. She and her husband don't qualify for federal premium subsidies because they earn too much money, about $80,000 a year combined."

"It doesn't seem right to make the middle class pay so much more in order to give health insurance to everybody else," said Harris, who is three months pregnant. "This increase is simply not affordable."

LA Times

The LAT assures us that of course "The federal government picks up much of the tab", but where the hell do they think that money comes from.

They also explain where most of the pain is going to fall - "But middle-income consumers face an estimated 30% rate increase, on average, in California due to several factors tied to the healthcare law."

The middle class is being rolled again. Thanks Democrats. I hope you are enjoying your rate increase.
I just hope these newly educated consumers remember which party brought them this debacle. I'm not holding out much hope, but perhaps it can still be undone in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 08:39 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
and the high deductible plans aren't legal anymore.
most of the plans being offered are indeed high deductible plans.. Please attempt to follow along with those of us out here in reality land.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:42 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,962,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Then why are the policies being CANCELLED and not simply changed to offer these newer standards?

Come on, you can say it... You cant be stupid enough to think that insurance companies would be cutting customers by the millions for no reason, are you?
As the Kaiser article said, some insurance companies are hoping that the policy holders with pre-existing conditions won't re-enroll, as they are the company's most expensive customers. However, anyone can re-enroll and get the approved plan that have better benefits.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:44 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,271,772 times
Quote:
most of the plans being offered are indeed high deductible plans.. Please attempt to follow along with those of us out here in reality land.
Can you buy a plan with a $10,000 or $20,000 deductible?

Old 10-28-2013, 08:44 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,962,372 times
Quote:
Take your own advice. From the Kaiser article:

Quote:
Kris Malean, 56, lives outside Seattle, and has a health policy that costs $390 a month with a $2,500 deductible and a $10,000 in potential out-of-pocket costs for such things as doctor visits, drug costs or hospital care.

As a replacement, Regence BlueShield is offering her a plan for $79 more a month with a deductible twice as large as what she pays now, but which limits her potential out-of-pocket costs to $6,250 a year, including the deductible.
That's a lower deductible.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:45 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,369,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
From that link:

Yes, insurance companies are cancelling policies that they can no longer sell because they don't meet the specifications of the ACA and replacing them with policies that DO meet those specifications

- and the policies are comparatively priced.

What's the complaint again?
you're not paying attention.
the costs have been much higher.

plus didnt chicago jesus promise you could keep your old policy if so desired ?

Old 10-28-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
As the Kaiser article said, some insurance companies are hoping that the policy holders with pre-existing conditions won't re-enroll, as they are the company's most expensive customers. However, anyone can re-enroll and get the approved plan that have better benefits.
Why would people with pre-existing conditions not get back into these new "better" "approved" plans at the same cost? Thats your argument, not mine, and as usual, it makes no sense.. All you do is walk around posting what other people believe because you cant actually sit there and think about how stupid that statement really is for yourself..

Old 10-28-2013, 08:48 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,687,852 times
Quote:
From that link:

Yes, insurance companies are cancelling policies that they can no longer sell because they don't meet the specifications of the ACA and replacing them with policies that DO meet those specifications - and the policies are comparatively priced.

What's the complaint again?
The complaint is, I liked my plan, my family liked my plan, and the hospital, doctors and insurance company like my plan, and then Obama comes along and destroys my plan, forcing me to buy a new, more expensive plan.

Obama makes it illegal for me to sit down with my family, my doctor and my insurance provider and agree to a plan that serves us all, because some bureaucrat a thousand miles away has decided I cannot buy it, and my provider cannot sell it.

Is there some restaurant you like to go to, with some menu item you really enjoy to eat? Or maybe their is a vacation place you like to visit, an entertainment theme park or amusement ride you enjoy, or some product in your home that you like.

Maybe when our country gets progressive enough it will ban those things you like, because some bureaucrat will be empowered to decide which foods, and which roller-coaster rides meet his specifications. Maybe this bureaucrat hates beef and chicken and thinks roller-coasters are too dangerous, and slow moving kiddie rides fit his "specifications - and the policies are comparatively" approved theme park rides.

Last edited by OICU812; 10-28-2013 at 09:01 AM..

Old 10-28-2013, 08:48 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,005,375 times
First of all, there isn't anything that is free and includes healthcare, someone, somewhere has to pay for it. Just where does the government get it's money to provide "free healthcare", from you and me any every other taxpayer in this country. The only people who get subsidies are people who pay not taxes in the first place.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Take your own advice. From the Kaiser article:

That's a lower deductible.
No its not if she doesnt use the other services that have "potential" costs..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies