Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 07:55 PM

364 posts, read 733,014 times

Advertisements

How do we prevent humans from killing other humans in (attempted) mass murders?

Serious question. Not interested in pointing fingers or talking points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 07:56 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Shoot them first

Old 11-02-2013, 07:57 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Government can't keep you safe. Accept it and move on.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:01 PM

542 posts, read 692,204 times
People who commit violence usually have behavioral indicators beforehand. Check out a book like The Gift of Fear, for instance, which discusses this. That said, you'd have to be able to detect these behaviors in people, and have others who are willing to act to take action to confront the person before they choose violence.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:04 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
People who commit violence usually have behavioral indicators beforehand. Check out a book like The Gift of Fear, for instance, which discusses this. That said, you'd have to be able to detect these behaviors in people, and have others who are willing to act to take action to confront the person before they choose violence.
Who is going to do this, and if their guess is wrong... then what?

Do we accost the innocent, like a sci fi movie starring Tom Cruise, where the government studies our behavior and tries and incarcerates us for crimes it THINKS we will commit?

Old 11-02-2013, 08:12 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,194 times
There is a unique factor in our current society that does encourage people to act out their mental issues in a public place. We should work on this mental issue and how to develop better mental health.
We should know by now things or people or locations that are likely to be targets. We should then utilize designs and equipment we already are familiar with and already have available to establish boundaries and limit risk and exposure.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:12 PM

364 posts, read 733,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Government can't keep you safe. Accept it and move on.
The absence of "government" in my OP was intentional. Nobody said anything about a government solution. Maybe government can help, maybe it can't. I want to hear thoughtful insight and opinion, not short quips.

I also want to frame this question in the sense of preventative care. If a person intent on killing harmless people has a gun in his car and he's driving to the airport, it's too late. Any real solution will stop this kind of thing from happening before it escalates. And again, I'm not implying a government solution. I have no agenda. I just want to learn.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:19 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Cut there arms off.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:22 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
" If a person intent on killing harmless people has a gun in his car and he's driving to the airport, it's too late."
As evidenced by the LAX shooter, that is a true statement.
Also, as evidenced by the LAX shooter (and the Navy Yard shooter), a "Background Check" is not very useful, either. Such a check would NOT have prevented either incident!
So, what CAN be done? Well, the LAX incident shows what CAN be done once the incident is under way, IF there are legal guns in the area. A few "good guys" with guns stopped the "bad guy" in his tracks. I think they could have done a better job of it, but they got the job done!
Other than having well armed responders readily available, I don't know what can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies