Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 12:10 PM

653 posts, read 817,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I predict it will only get stronger once the website is fixed.
sure thing, libby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Really? Can you provide backup to those stats at all, or is this another fiction?
Wasn't this all we heard during Obama's campaigning and ensuing push for Obamacare? The cries were 30M people had no insurance so Obamacare had to be passed?

Old 11-06-2013, 12:15 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Wasn't this all we heard during Obama's campaigning and ensuing push for Obamacare? The cries were 30M people had no insurance so Obamacare had to be passed?
The amount of people without insurance at all is found pretty easily. The number of unhappy people afterwords...not so easily found. I don't remember hearing about the post Obamacare numbers being unhappy. Where did you find it?

Old 11-06-2013, 12:23 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The youth have no clue what's in store.

They are going to opt for the fine over mandated insurance and then be quite upset when the IRS keeps their refunds.
Insurance for young people is so cheap. It is about 100 bucks for a gold level plan in my area. Less than 100 for a catastrophic also without subsidy. With many young people making less than subsidy levels, it is even less. Why would a young person starting out in a career risk financial ruin when they can get stop-loss at $6350 for well under 100 per month? When I was young, it was a big deal to me to have a job that paid health benefits. I think that many young people still feel the same about the importance of health insurance. They should if their parents taught them anything about personal responsibility.

But we will see. It is impossible to predict other than looking at MA. There the young people and just about everyone else signed up. But MA has a culture of buying health insurance that is not found in the poorer parts of the US, like Texas or my own state. So it remains to be seen if people in the "red" states will flock to healthcare.gov as much as those in the "blue" ones.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
To me and I suspect many more, Obamacare is about much more than the uninsured. It is being untethered from one's employer, not being an insurance slave. People who have chronic conditions, often minor, live in double fear of losing their jobs. Without health coverage they are doomed. Do you know of people who would rather work somewhere else but stay because they need the insurance coverage? I do. Oh, there is COBRA which costs far more than anything you are going to find on Obamacare and only last a limited time. How about people who want to strike out on their own, open a small business, but can't because they fear the consequences of going without health insurance for themselves or their families? Or me, an early retiree, who now can find options for insurance which relate to my risk tolerance and not be stuck with the one-size-fits-all policy my former empliyer offers (but does not pay for) and which, I will add, cost thousands less than the employer plan.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 11-06-2013 at 12:43 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 12:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Insurance for young people is so cheap. It is about 100 bucks for a gold level plan in my area. Less than 100 for a catastrophic also without subsidy. With many young people making less than subsidy levels, it is even less. Why would a young person starting out in a career risk financial ruin when they can get stop-loss at $6350 for well under 100 per month? When I was young, it was a big deal to me to have a job that paid health benefits. I think that many young people still feel the same about the importance of health insurance. They should if their parents taught them anything about personal responsibility.

But we will see. It is impossible to predict other than looking at MA. There the young people and just about everyone else signed up. But MA has a culture of buying health insurance that is not found in the poorer parts of the US, like Texas or my own state. So it remains to be seen if people in the "red" states will flock to healthcare.gov as much as those in the "blue" ones.
MA also has more citizens then illegals.

Illegals are exempt and the state will continue to absorb the cost 100%.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
MA also has more citizens then illegals.

Illegals are exempt and the state will continue to absorb the cost 100%.
Illegals are eligible to purchase on the exchanges, or anywhere else, but not to get subsidies. But I do agree with you, we are stuck with the cost of them. The citizen kids are eligible for subsidized insurance and/or medicaid.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:44 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
I predict it will only get stronger once the website is fixed.
According to your article the percent of people without insurance that view Obama care favorably is up to 44% from 37% percent> As your article states that means 56% of the uninsured view it unfavorably. This pole did not include any one who favored or did not favor it who had insurance.
So what it means is 56% of the uninsured who the ACA were suppose to help are against it.
And some how that is good news to a liberal

Old 11-06-2013, 12:53 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
You don't need a condo but people need insurance. So that's why they're going to continue to stay interested in Obamacare until republicans can come along with a better alternative other than repeal.
really now???

people NEED insurance???

you do understand what insurance is.....RISK MANAGEMENT

why does a healthy 20 something NEED to pay $300 a month for insurance, if he only goes to the doctor once a year for an annual check-up

does a healthy 20 something REALLY NEED to pay 3600 or more a year for an annual check up that only costs less than $200??

Old 11-06-2013, 01:01 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Only problem with that theory.. I figure most will cut their withholding down to no refund and then just not pay the penalty. Racking up the interest and penalty charges cumulative over the years, till someone suggests we have "health care penalty forgiveness."
I don't think they know to do that....some do, of course, but many do not. In fact, quite a few withhold 0 so that they CAN get a refund. Won't they be surprised. (This is all based on my own personal experience when talking to co-workers in the past about withholdings and refunds because those guys always bragged about how much they got back.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies