Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 12:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
The government needs to stop subsidizing corn and wheat as well. There's reason why the FDA's Food Pyramid has brainwashed millions of children into thinking they need to eat/drink a lot of breads and dairy but not fruits and vegetables and now we have obesity crisis.

The government knows exactly why there's an obesity crisis in this country but you'll never hear them admit to it and the media won't report on it.
And just who is behind the FDA/USDA as far as the revolving door goes ?

Big business runs the FDA and fresh fruits and vegetables does not add to their bottom line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 12:41 PM

15,554 posts, read 10,546,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
The .gov feels that it needs to tell the populace what they can or can't eat.

FDA to ban artery-clogging trans fats - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

What a waste of money, I don't know anybody that buys trans-fat products anymore.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There's no trans fat in lard. The sole purpose of trans fat is to extend shelf life.

Potatoes fried in olive oil are delicious.
In fact many people are going back to "lard" for cooking now.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:45 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,692,105 times
Are eggs good for you or bad for you, what about milk, raw milk, 2 percent, 1 percent and or how many glasses of water should you really drink. Tap water or bottled water.

Food and Drug Administration protecting stupid Americans from choices and making laws to protect their existence.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:45 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,377,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
That's just insane.

YOU choose what you eat. We don't need them doing this.
But now, with the ACA, they get to dictate it.

It will get far far worse in the very very near future.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Are eggs good for you or bad for you, what about milk, raw milk, 2 percent, 1 percent and or how many glasses of water should you really drink. Tap water or bottled water.

Food and Drug Administration protecting stupid Americans from choices and making laws to protect their existence.
Eggs were good and then they were bad and now I think they are good for you again.

Nothing in the egg changed..just government opinions of it.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:50 PM

15,554 posts, read 10,546,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In fact many people are going back to "lard" for cooking now.
Really? I was thinking about trying to make lard soap (I know weird) a couple of years ago but I never found any lard.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Really? I was thinking about trying to make lard soap (I know weird) a couple of years ago but I never found any lard.
They sell it in my supermarket and have for some time. It's in a box (like the size of the 4 sticks of butter box) and right next to the Crisco solid fat.

Maybe it's local and based on usage.

You can try goat's milk soap if you can't find lard. I hear that's just as good.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:02 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,160,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Go read that Aunt Jemima "syrup" label and you'll see it's 100% HFCS.
You're putting corn syrup on your pancakes.
The company's web site is ajCornMeal.com/.

And it's not 100% HFCS - it has other tasty and nutritious stuff, too! Like sodium hexametaphosphate! Yum!!!

Quote:
INGREDIENTS: CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WATER, CELLULOSE GUM, CARAMEL COLOR, SALT, SODIUM BENZOATE AND SORBIC ACID (PRESERVATIVES), ARTIFICIAL AND NATURAL FLAVORS, SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:10 PM

19,878 posts, read 22,782,911 times
We always rendered lard we butcherd hogs. Especially the leaf lard. Best thing for pies ever!

Lard is not inherently bad, actually it's a combination of fats. Certainly don't want to eat deep fried foods all the time, but when properly heated and used it is just about as perfect a frying medium you can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies