Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:37 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually the reason houses, cars, and airplanes are not cheaper than they were say 30 years ago is because of government regulations for the most part, and because the average consumer wants more packed into those items which also raises the cost. however, cars, airplanes, and houses are long lasting items, that can be constantly rebuilt as needed, and thus are still a relative bargain if people were willing to properly maintain them.
Technically, once you adjust for inflation, housing and transport is cheaper. Housing is 2X as large as it used to be and oil/gas isn't cheaper though, but we are talking about a printer. How much would a laser printer have been 30 years ago? Is there any reason a 3D printer won't follow the same course?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 09:48 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Interesting technology, but for firearms production, I have to wonder...why? The 3D printing machines that can print metal parts are rare and expensive. If you print firearms parts on one, it's pretty easy to source back to the relative handful of machines sold that are capable of building it. As opposed to say, a <$1000 mill-drill machine that can produce one and which can be bought at any Harbor Freight.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:53 AM

544 posts, read 610,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Interesting technology, but for firearms production, I have to wonder...why? The 3D printing machines that can print metal parts are rare and expensive. If you print firearms parts on one, it's pretty easy to source back to the relative handful of machines sold that are capable of building it. As opposed to say, a <$1000 mill-drill machine that can produce one and which can be bought at any Harbor Freight.

Well, it is a lot easier for the normal person to just download the file to print a gun or anything else, than it is for them to do actual handy man stuff.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:32 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
This is cutting edge tech folks. Sheesh. Remember the first PC's, cell phones and betamax machines.

IT will get MUCH cheaper.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
Well, it is a lot easier for the normal person to just download the file to print a gun or anything else, than it is for them to do actual handy man stuff.
I'm not so sure that "normal people" are as capable of operating one of these machines as you think. I'd also like to know how much secondary processing is required after the parts come off the machine. My experience with rapid prototype parts (primarily SLA) is that a good bit of knowledge and post processing is required. Though that may be dated, it's been a few years since I've dealt with the technology.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:38 AM

544 posts, read 610,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm not so sure that "normal people" are as capable of operating one of these machines as you think. I'd also like to know how much secondary processing is required after the parts come off the machine. My experience with rapid prototype parts (primarily SLA) is that a good bit of knowledge and post processing is required. Though that may be dated, it's been a few years since I've dealt with the technology.
Yea, I have no experience with 3D printing myself. However, I'm sure that the ultimate goal is to have software and the hardware be as easy and simple as possible for the normal person. Where all a person needs to do is make sure the printer material is full, the printer turned on, and then open the software on their computer and click on an image of what they want to print today.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:40 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
3D printing IS NOT as simple and point and click. It requires hundreds of thousands, and perhaps millions of dollars of equipment and materials. Libs... You can all settle down.
Ours cost 10 grand. We use it to prototype enclosures. Cheaper than paying someone else to tool up to make three of something so we can decide it's designed properly.

What made you think this cost millions?

Old 11-08-2013, 10:41 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Not a firearms enthusiast myself, but... Aren't gun barrels supposed to live up to some pretty hardcore metallurgical specs, at least for longevity and reliability?

Old 11-08-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Ours cost 10 grand. We use it to prototype enclosures. Cheaper than paying someone else to tool up to make three of something so we can decide it's designed properly.

What made you think this cost millions?
Does your machine do solid, dense, steel parts?

Old 11-08-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Not a firearms enthusiast myself, but... Aren't gun barrels supposed to live up to some pretty hardcore metallurgical specs, at least for longevity and reliability?

Yes, quality ones are usually proof tested, and are also held to a very tight tolerence. IIRC a normal barrel is held to ~+/- .0002-.0004" diameteral tolerance throughout it's length. Precision barrels are lapped, and IIRC are held to about +/-.0001 througout their length. Much variation is dangereous, tight spots will cause excessive pressures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies