Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:11 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,437,385 times

Advertisements

All because some nutjob published a (now very discredited) study on Autisim parents are not vaccinating. We can attribute at least 10 deaths in California and thousands of kids sick (in one specific case "A 2010 pertussis outbreak in California, which caused 9,120 illnesses and 10 deaths, was recently traced to voluntary undervaccination.") . It really is depressing when parents put their kids lives in danger (and mine too) because of fallacious thinking or a basic lack of understanding of science.

I do think States need to do a better job enforcing vaccinations for school. You should only be allowed an exception, in my mind, if you get have a diagnosed related condition that prevents a vac (allergic to eggs for example). People who want a "religious exemption" should home school, not send to daycare, or participate in sports that use public facilities.

Parents refusing vaccines

Old 11-12-2013, 08:46 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,869,273 times
I'm against not vaccinating as well. Because less parents are vaccinating their children now, we are seeing a return in the U.S of diseases that were practically eradicated in prior decades.

In another parenting forum I read, one mother was naiively insisting her child wouldn't ever do anything that warranted getting a Hep B vac. She said "my son won't be a promiscuous junkie!". I had to spell it out for her that there are more ways than drugs and sex to contact hepatitis!

I realize it's a 'free country', but I believe parents are putting their children in unnecessary risk by not vaccinating.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:59 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,766,140 times
I am not against all vaccines but not for all of them either.

I do not think we should be forced to vaccinate against things such as chicken pox. That should be up to the parent to decide. I think kids are getting far too many vaccines in one visit. I've watched kids after getting a boatload in one visit become out of it for days.
The schedule is too aggressive. They need to be spaced out.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:00 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
Parents who do not vaccinate are relying on the rest of us vaccinating our children. If everyone else vaccinates, their child's chance of getting the disease is fairly small. When you have clusters of people who are not vaccinating, like the pertussis outbreak in California, then there is a chance for an outbreak, and they run the risk of their child dying from a disease that was easily preventable due to modern medicine.

And I hate to say it, but maybe it will take a few of those cluster outbreaks for people to see the error of their ways, and start vaccinating.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:07 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I'm against not vaccinating as well. Because less parents are vaccinating their children now, we are seeing a return in the U.S of diseases that were practically eradicated in prior decades.
It's also due to our refusal to secure the border. How many of those illegally crossing the border have had their vaccinations? How many are carrying the actual diseases into our urban cores?

This is not an attempt to vilify illegals; it is just a fact.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
I saw no reason for my son to have his HepB vaccine the very second he was born.
What the hell was the point of that?

He gets all his other shots and got his Hep later.

I think the vaccines are great and important, but we don't have to shove them all in at once.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:12 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,206,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Parents who do not vaccinate are relying on the rest of us vaccinating our children. If everyone else vaccinates, their child's chance of getting the disease is fairly small. When you have clusters of people who are not vaccinating, like the pertussis outbreak in California, then there is a chance for an outbreak, and they run the risk of their child dying from a disease that was easily preventable due to modern medicine.

And I hate to say it, but maybe it will take a few of those cluster outbreaks for people to see the error of their ways, and start vaccinating.
Sad but true. I can see parents not wanting a child to get a bunch of vaccinations at one time, but to not get them at all? That's stupid. These dumb-arsed parents don't understand they're playing Russian roulette with their children's lives -- and the lives of other people's children.

We've managed to eradicate smallpox in the entire world because of vaccinations. I believe that polio has been irradicated in the US, Canada, and Europe, and several other countries (Australia, New Zealand, and Japan probably), but it remains endemic in other parts of the world, especially parts of Asia.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:17 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
All because some nutjob published a (now very discredited) study on Autisim parents are not vaccinating. We can attribute at least 10 deaths in California and thousands of kids sick (in one specific case "A 2010 pertussis outbreak in California, which caused 9,120 illnesses and 10 deaths, was recently traced to voluntary undervaccination.") . It really is depressing when parents put their kids lives in danger (and mine too) because of fallacious thinking or a basic lack of understanding of science.

I do think States need to do a better job enforcing vaccinations for school. You should only be allowed an exception, in my mind, if you get have a diagnosed related condition that prevents a vac (allergic to eggs for example). People who want a "religious exemption" should home school, not send to daycare, or participate in sports that use public facilities.

Parents refusing vaccines
The title says it all.
It is utter stupidity and nonsensical fear.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:22 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
I agree with the Op and parents should realize also when they dont vaccinate they are exposing other children and babies to deadly illnesses that could kill them . If they dont want to vaccinate then they should not be using public school , day care or going to public parks etc ... I totally agree with the Op and yes by not vaccinating they are bringing back dieseases that were previously irradicated . Also if you wont vaccinate keep your sick kids at home until they are completely well .

Old 11-12-2013, 09:43 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's also due to our refusal to secure the border. How many of those illegally crossing the border have had their vaccinations? How many are carrying the actual diseases into our urban cores?

This is not an attempt to vilify illegals; it is just a fact.
Ironically immunization rates in Mexico (if that's who you are predominantly referring to) are at 98% compared to 90% in the US. Now what happens to undocumented kids once they arrive in the US is hard to say for obvious reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies