Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 06:40 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times

Advertisements

Furthermore, I didn't vote for my representative to go to DC to compromise MY principles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 08:47 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,895 times
thank god for republicans.

everything they can do to stop that train wreck called obama is a blessing...

Old 11-17-2013, 11:32 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Then why have a Congress? Why have a government? It seems your view is that we were better off living in caves to fend for ourselves. Contrarily, I think that government has the capability of making life better. The fact that the GOP doesn't believe in governing is a problem of its own.
Let's remember that this is the entire point of conservativism: to destroy the government and leave the peons like us helpless and vulnerable to robber baron bankers, health- and environment-destroying manufacturers, and the rest of the plutocracy.

Think of the billions to be made when there are no controls over money, building, manufacturing, wages, living conditions and the environment.

Of COURSE that's their end game.

And it's working, too.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:12 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times
Quote:
The people don't agree:
And they reelected Barrack Obama, clearly most people don't know a damn thing.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:48 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Then why have a Congress? Why have a government? It seems your view is that we were better off living in caves to fend for ourselves.
I don't recall anybody making that suggestion. Government is necessary.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:06 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The GOP/Teapublicans set out to obstruct and they certainly have. What a sad excuse for governing.
They are an embarrassement, and I am surprised there has ever been a worse Congress in US.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:12 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
What a lie of a thread title....

The "Republican-led Congress."

I did not kow that the repubs led congress.....I bet that would be interesting for obama to know....

Old 11-18-2013, 06:35 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
If you look at the number of laws each chamber has passed it hasn't changed much from previous Congresses. What has changed is the split Congress, where instead of the President obstructing legislation it's the Senate. It has much the same effect, but it shows up as a huge hole in the statistics. It's been more than a generation since we've seen a Democratic President and Senate coupled with a Republican House, so the result as pointed out by the OP should come as no surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Leave it to a liberal to judge the productivity of congress by how many new laws they pass.
It's about quality, not quantity - what kind of laws you pass is much more important than just the number. There is a truckload of legislation that needs to be passed to restore freedom to America and get the government on a sound fiscal footing; a lot of the legislation would be repeals of existing law and a rewrite of the tax code, which would shrink the total volume of law. Also, just to use a liberal example, a Republican Congress in 1999 passed hundreds of laws, but Social Security and Medicare were just two laws that had more of an impact than those hundreds combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
And they reelected Barrack Obama, clearly most people don't know a damn thing.
If the change in approval rating is any indication, if the election was being held now he would be crushed.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:38 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is wonderful. A "do nothing" Congress is a wonderful thing. Almost every new law either raises taxes or reduces freedom so I rejoice when we have a "do nothing" congress.

Thank you Tea Party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The House rejected a 10% cut in corporate tax. Why do you think the Corporations are telling the TP to take a hike?

Old 11-18-2013, 06:41 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
I think we have enough laws already, and the Democrats did enough damage in 2009-10 that we are still trying to recover, esp. Obamacare. I'd like to see congress be productive and repeal some laws and cancel some govt. programs. Right now the houses are divided. When the philosophical chasm is a wide as it is, not many laws will be passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies