Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 05:39 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Not a thing.

CEOs should be imported from India and the Philippines at a great cost savings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Yeah, right, post of the day. Why don't you guys want to outsource Hollywood actors, and import some from India and the Philippines?
I'm good with it. Let's bring em in. You'll not find me paying $10 to see a movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 05:44 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'm good with it. Let's bring em in. You'll not find me paying $10 to see a movie.
See, you actually understand it pretty well. Companies want to sell you their products. They want to make sure you're willing to pay. That's why they can't outsource their CEOs otherwise they would.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:47 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
I think the government should force everyone to see movies like "12 years a slave".

It's what they think is best for you.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:51 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
See, you actually understand it pretty well. Companies want to sell you their products. They want to make sure you're willing to pay. That's why they can't outsource their CEOs otherwise they would.
You miss my point. I wouldn't pay $10 NOW to see a movie; no matter who the star.

So - go ahead - outsource it. Make it cheaper. Maybe then I would go.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:04 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
GE's gains are roughly 25% more than those of the S&P500 over the last 3 years.
Way to pick your numbers to make your point. I am a GE shareholder. Have been for more than 20 years. I'm a big dog...I own 1.33/100,000ths of 1% of the company. It has been the worst-performing asset in my portfolio hands-down for the last ten years. In fact, this month, it will finally surpass where it was ten years ago and again 5.5 years ago.

Only in the last three years as you chose to use has it made a better investment than some others, IF it had been bought three years ago. Still quite a bit worse than some of my others, which are also S&P 500 companies. In the attached graphic, which are most of my holdings, the light blue line is GE, the red line is the S&P 500, green and yellow are two other S&P stocks, dark blue and purple are two conservative mutual funds.

GE's not really a big winner, here. Certainly not worthy of any big praise.
Attached Thumbnails
What makes CEOs so valuable these days?-stocks.jpg  

Old 11-18-2013, 06:36 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
So - go ahead - outsource it. Make it cheaper. Maybe then I would go.
So you would pay $5 to watch Bollywood movies? I doubt it.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:43 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
At least until you add in that a lot of companies get government subsidies, special tax treatment and bailouts e.g. autos and banks just to name a few so at least as far as your tax dollars go you don't get to choose.
Oh and you folks hate the tea party who want taxes to go down. It is quite amazing watching you liberals dancing in your swill you have created. You want to tax folks out the butt then complain about where those tax dollars go. I have an idea...............leave us all alone. Go move to France.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:03 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Oh and you folks hate the tea party who want taxes to go down. It is quite amazing watching you liberals dancing in your swill you have created. You want to tax folks out the butt then complain about where those tax dollars go. I have an idea...............leave us all alone. Go move to France.
Of course we complain. Spending is too high for taxes to be optimal.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:55 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times
Quote:
It is amazing you make all those assumptions about me. The Tea Party is for limited government and I am pretty sure the Tea Party is against the government picking winners and losers in the market which I 100% agree with. So I have to ask why do you attack me for pointing out that people who pay federal taxes don't have the option to not support companies they think are poorly run. Do you support using tax dollars from the federal treasury to pick winners in private industry? That does not sound like capitalism, but you clearly are complacent about fact that it is occurring. Is it a topic that is difficult for you do discuss in an ideologically consistent way so thus the implications about me? If not why the hostile response to someone pointing out it happens and is a problem.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:15 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
You want to tax folks out the butt then complain about where those tax dollars go. I have an idea...............leave us all alone. Go move to France.
Can you show me all the times in the last 100 years when taxes were much lower? I mean, if they are "out the butt" now, they must be at their highest levels in history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies