Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:33 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,564 times

Advertisements

Why is the theory of evolution so controversial??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 05:42 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,429,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Why is the theory of evolution so controversial??

Because unfortunately we have a bunch of religious freaks that don't believe in science since it contradicts their precious Bible.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:43 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,255 times
Because it seemingly contradicts the biblical story of creation if you take the biblical story literally. I don't think any thinking person can refute that evolution is occuring...even as we speak. Things, humans, plants and animals adapt very slowly to their surroundings. The people who believe in the literal interpretation of the bible take issue with evolution since it takes the 6/7 day creation story and turns it into millions of years rather than 6 or 7 (if you count the last day that god rested) day story in the bible.

To me it really doesn't matter, although I'm sure that is not the case with many. God is god weather he created the world and all in it in 6/7 days or 6/7 eons....matters not to me. You may worship god as you choose regardless of the details.

It's kind of like obscessing about how long it took to build the house you're living in. Maybe it was a two piece modular and was constructed in 6 or 7 days, maybe it was "stick built" and took 120 days to build. Does it really matter ? It's a beautiful home, very functional, provides a roof over your head for protection from the elements....but no, lets get the entire family agruing for the rest of our lives over how long it took to build the house rather than just appreciating the contractor who had the skills to build it.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:46 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
LOL... most of the people who hold onto religious beliefs for creation are generally very, very old people who didn't really have a great educational system... they know only what they learned when they were younger... give it a generation or two and there will be no "controversy"... the liberals are the only ones who don't like to wait... they demand immediate conversion or be else you will be ridiculed... they create controversy where there really isn't any... everyone has a brain when they are young and it may be a shock to liberals, they can use them to understand where the truth lies...

Old 01-16-2009, 06:07 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Nasty jab at old folks like me huh?...I have news for you. Us old fogies can use our brains too ya know. I do know what you are saying though. When I was in school it was mostly memory work, and things were taught as facts. We were not taught to think for ourselves, but many of us did anyway...I have never stopped learning...That burning desire has been with me all my days, and seems to be burning brighter since I've retired.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:12 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,561,646 times
The only time I hear that someone doesn't believe in evolution is if they are very very religious. The others know the facts. I don't know if you guys heard of the Duggar family, the family w/18 kids? They had a show on them & in one episode, they took a road trip & stopped at a creationism museum along the way. The father said to the camera that they don't teach their kids about evolution because it's not "scientific". What is it then????? Made no sense what he said.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:19 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,432 times
the THEORY of evolution becomes controversial when its touted as FACT. and any other theory, such as creation is called a myth Im not saying I buy all that either side has to say as "fact" the earth was made in 6 days or 6 thousand years. but the big bang sounds alot like the "and let there be light " total darkness and then boom, everything in the universe comes to be. evolution, we are here because of a mathamatical fluke? at least when yer dead, you'll have the answer

Old 01-16-2009, 06:20 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
Darwin was born in 1809....old folks has nothing to do with it. Evolution has holes. When they fill those in it will adapt. Even the genes say there was an Adam and Eve in Africa.

https://genographic.nationalgeograph.../en/index.html

Maybe not in the sense we tend to think. Here is one to ponder. Time is due to the expansion of the universe. So does that mean before the big bang there was no time. Time, light, mass, energy..etc. are all linked.

Doesn't mean there is a god but someone or something transcends time, matter, energy, space..etc.

That someone or something is perfect with it's equations and ability to make a perfect extremely complex ecosystem. One in which 100 billion galaxies wouldn't produce another human.

"Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another."
Carl Sagan (Cosmos)

When you piece together the extraordinary number of successive events for humans to be able to have been created it's quiet unfathomable. Some might call it a miracle. Others a mere coincidence.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:27 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,903 times
It's because it clashes with their religious beliefs.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:37 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,108 times
I don't believe the theory of evolution contradicts the biblical story of creation, if anything it adds to it. To me, evolution explains how God went about creating us. Since a lot of the bible isn't really meant to be taken literally, I have doubts that creation came about in only seven days.

But, you always haveModerator cut: no rude remarks about other posters!fellows such as the poster below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Because unfortunately we have a bunch of religious freaks that don't believe in science since it contradicts their precious Bible.
..Who clearly only deals in absolutes.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 01-16-2009 at 07:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies