Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 04:51 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Not really. They made a choice. I made mine.
You're not glad that you're alive?

Come on, now.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:17 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You're not glad that you're alive?

Come on, now.
I have to side with Mooseketeer on this one: that individual made a conscious choice to not have a family whereas his/her parents decided to have one.

I call that a whole lot more responsible than 'breeding' and not taking proper care of said resulting children.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:19 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have to side with Mooseketeer on this one: that individual made a conscious choice to not have a family whereas his/her parents decided to have one.

I call that a whole lot more responsible than 'breeding' and not taking proper care of said resulting children.
I'm sorry, but that's not relevant to my query of her.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:26 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Default Abortion In The Name Of Saving The Planet

Well we knew it was coming and frankly I am all for liberals sterilizing themselves! Just do it before you have to kill your future offspring. Carbon credits, for getting sterilized? WOW !!..........Meet the women who won't have babies - because they're not eco friendly | the Daily Mail And some people dont believe its a religion!

Old 11-23-2007, 08:44 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
I'm going to sound probably real controversial here, but it seems to me that it was God's idea for this woman's baby to be born. Apparently He isn't quite as concerned with the baby's "carbon footprint" as these particular women are. When my Maker decides to take back His directive for us to "be fruitful and multiply," I'm sure He'll let me know.

My youngest niece, Hope (fitting name!) was just born on September 11. Both my lovely wife and I are so happy that Hope's mom chose life. For that matter, I'm glad my own parents chose life!

One last thought, and then I'll put on my asbestos suit: If these oh-so-environmentally conscious women are so concerned about the carbon footprint of our future generations, do you think any of them will take the logical next step and end their own lives? Pretty stupid. I'll go with our God-given ingenuity and collective talents sparked by the good old free market as the way to solve real environmental problems.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:00 PM

OK, the asbestos suit is on! A little tight around the waist, still, after eating my Thanksgiving dinner.

Why don't these women just buy carbon offsets like Al Gore and have their babies? More seriously, do you think all the Muslim men and women who are pouring into the United Kingdom each and every day feel the same way about not having children? Because of the environment?! Really now.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:33 PM

3 posts, read 7,537 times
Spunky, yes I will criticize people having children born out of wedlock. Were you and are you proud of it? If so, well, we know what level of morals you were raised with.
I am tired of supporting everybody else's children because of single mothers just plopping and dropping 'em whether they can afford them or not. And equally of non-single mothers who never want to claim responsibility for their child(ren), except at tax time. Can anybody tell me how it is that everybody's kid is soooo smart and sooo talented, yet tons of them graduate h.s. with a reading level of 3rd-6th grade, colleges are lowering their requirements to keep admissions up, crime is increasing in teenagers and young adult, and more are on welfare than ever before. How it that?

Old 11-23-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funinsun63 View Post
Spunky, yes I will criticize people having children born out of wedlock. Were you and are you proud of it? If so, well, we know what level of morals you were raised with.
I am tired of supporting everybody else's children because of single mothers just plopping and dropping 'em whether they can afford them or not. And equally of non-single mothers who never want to claim responsibility for their child(ren), except at tax time. Can anybody tell me how it is that everybody's kid is soooo smart and sooo talented, yet tons of them graduate h.s. with a reading level of 3rd-6th grade, colleges are lowering their requirements to keep admissions up, crime is increasing in teenagers and young adult, and more are on welfare than ever before. How it that?
Good issues all. Illegitimacy is a very real problem, and we should probably begin a new thread on this topic. But these particular women in this news article think they are doing the Earth a favor by having themselves sterilized and having their unborn children murdered. This is totally over-the-cliff, devoid-of-reality eco-lunacy.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:24 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
for the ones that are getting sterilized to help the future of mankind. What future does mankind have if there are no new generations to inherit the earth?

I do respect the thought of people not having kids for personal reasons, but come on.. this is just well.... crazy.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:57 AM

982 posts, read 3,307,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post

One last thought, and then I'll put on my asbestos suit: If these oh-so-environmentally conscious women are so concerned about the carbon footprint of our future generations, do you think any of them will take the logical next step and end their own lives?
I think that's a perfectly legitimate question - it merits and answer. They've been polluting the planet for years. Of course, they really are doing the planet - and any children they may have had - a HUGE favor by not perpetuating this crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I wish more people would understand that they can be whole people without breeding. There would be fewer abused and abandoned children in the world.
I don't think that people who must have a child to 'feel whole' participate in abuse and abandonment. Makes sense that those who made irresponsible choices would be more likely to fall into this camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
As a woman it never ceases to amaze me ( and irks me) that a lot of people are unable to realise that not everyone wants to breed and that it is possible to have a happy, fulfilling life without having kids.
Having kids is for the most part a natural yes, but selfish nonetheless imperative to reproduce a little bit of ourselves and leave some our genes behind. If people adopted more I would accept that love was the primary reason for them wanting a progeny but it seems to a lot of people , only their genes are good enough. I don't get it. A kid is a kid who cares whether he came from your loins or from an orphanage in Romania ? You either love kids or not.
As a fellow woman who has been trying to conceive for over a year now, it irks me that those who do not have the desire to reproduce find the moxy to judge what they do not understand, while accusing others of the same. If I adopt, it's because I truly love children. If I reproduce, I'm selfish. Nice set of absolutes - and utterly misguided.

If people don't want children, that is a responsible, intelligent decision and should be accepted as such. But most of the children in terrible situations are born from biological donors that don't want them - so I fail to see how those who do want children are the selfish ones here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies