Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski View Post
You can blame the repug's...they wanted to rip Elian from his father just because he lived in Cuba...
What? It was an ALL DEMOCRAT IDEA to force him back to the land of brainwashing.

It was his MOTHER who gave her life trying to get him out of that hellhole and it's Democrats who pine to live in one, so they sent him back at gunpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 09:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Wait, so now it's our fault that his mother died at sea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"They were very sad times for me, which marked me for my whole life. I was never given the chance to have a moment to think about my mother, who as a result of that (U.S.) Cuban Adjustment Act died at sea," the now-19-year-old Gonzalez said last weekend during a Union of Young Communists event.

Elián González: My Time In The U.S. 'Marked Me For My Whole Life' | Fox News Latino
Although he did not articulate his position very well, he is correct. The United States is indirectly responsible.

The policy of allowing Cuban immigrants to stay in the United States if they made it ashore encourage people to make the attempt by crossing the distance between Cuba and Florida. This is not good policy! If Cuban immigrants knew they would be sent back to Cuba under any circumstance, then they would not make the attempt - it wouldn't be worth the risk. This policy makes it worth the risk.

It's the same as the US government provided a variety of benefits to illegal immigrants and employers hiring illegal immigrants.

If we don't want illegal immigrants to come here, we need to stop providing incentives, of any kind, to come here.

[i personally don't care about Elian...]

Old 11-19-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
What? It was an ALL DEMOCRAT IDEA to force him back to the land of brainwashing.

It was his MOTHER who gave her life trying to get him out of that hellhole and it's Democrats who pine to live in one, so they sent him back at gunpoint.
What's the problem?

[]

Old 11-19-2013, 10:55 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
What's the problem?

[]
What if it were you?

Old 11-19-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
What if it were you?
If I was a kid, do as I'm told by my Father.

[and go home]

Old 11-19-2013, 11:18 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I'm sure he has beautiful memories of his time in America.
I think Clinton could have waited and negotiated for more time but then the fiasco in Waco happened on Clinton's watch as well. Those people didn't come out alive. They thought the children were being abused so they went in and the children died. Great decision.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:58 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Wait, so now it's our fault that his mother died at sea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"They were very sad times for me, which marked me for my whole life. I was never given the chance to have a moment to think about my mother, who as a result of that (U.S.) Cuban Adjustment Act died at sea," the now-19-year-old Gonzalez said last weekend during a Union of Young Communists event.

Elián González: My Time In The U.S. 'Marked Me For My Whole Life' | Fox News Latino
So because the US said, "If you make it here to dry land, you are welcome to stay", it's OUR fault that his mother put him on an inner tube? How about he concentrate on WHY his mother put him on some rubber floating device, if he 'honors' her so much?

He is totally brainwashed.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:17 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
This brings back some memories. On AOL there were some long and angry debates about it. From what I remember:
It underscored what a spineless weak minded jellyfish Janet Reno was. She was a complete pushover and its no surprise Eric Holder slithered out of that slime pit. She was also the same way with the Waco Branch Davidian massacre.
Elian's father knew Elian and his mother were leaving Cuba and was okay with it. I never saw him as a particularly good father, he cashed in on his sons fame and got a job with the government. But Elian belonged with his dad since no other close relatives were particularly fit guardians, either.
Elian got screwed, big time. He went back to a messed up country and got a lot of programming which is why he's probably a mess. He'd have been better off here, maybe. But his relatives here weren't much to speak of either.
Lots of people wanted him deported based solely that they didn't like the Spanish and illegal immigrants. Both the left and the right were guilty of that.
The Clintons displayed their usual callous disregard for people and saw him only as a pawn.
I think the right used him to bash Clinton more than out of a feeling for his welfare. Likewise the left didn't care much about him, either. Less, actually.
My brother had an awesome caption for that photo of the armed agent pointing a gun at Elian and Donato Dalrymple( whatever happened to him, anyway? Hmm, I guess I don't care to know). It was the agent saying " What's Spanish for Don't worry, I'm not going to blow your head off ?" He sent it in to Fox and Friends but they didn't use it.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:38 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
No need to rehash this thing too much.

In the other end, he went with his father where he should have been after his mother died. The world didn't stop turning after he went home, and he appears to be fine. I knew that he'd be ok all along.

Politics isn't everything. Not everybody is as fanatical about politics as you people are.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
This brings back some memories. On AOL there were some long and angry debates about it. From what I remember:
It underscored what a spineless weak minded jellyfish Janet Reno was. She was a complete pushover and its no surprise Eric Holder slithered out of that slime pit. She was also the same way with the Waco Branch Davidian massacre.
Elian's father knew Elian and his mother were leaving Cuba and was okay with it. I never saw him as a particularly good father, he cashed in on his sons fame and got a job with the government. But Elian belonged with his dad since no other close relatives were particularly fit guardians, either.
Elian got screwed, big time. He went back to a messed up country and got a lot of programming which is why he's probably a mess. He'd have been better off here, maybe. But his relatives here weren't much to speak of either.
Lots of people wanted him deported based solely that they didn't like the Spanish and illegal immigrants. Both the left and the right were guilty of that.
The Clintons displayed their usual callous disregard for people and saw him only as a pawn.
I think the right used him to bash Clinton more than out of a feeling for his welfare. Likewise the left didn't care much about him, either. Less, actually.
My brother had an awesome caption for that photo of the armed agent pointing a gun at Elian and Donato Dalrymple( whatever happened to him, anyway? Hmm, I guess I don't care to know). It was the agent saying " What's Spanish for Don't worry, I'm not going to blow your head off ?" He sent it in to Fox and Friends but they didn't use it.
Janet Reno showed more resolve and toughness than you can imagine. You're simply dead wrong on that one. The easier decision was to let him stay. It was also the wrong decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies