Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 08:02 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Aha, so you acknowledge that most Americans are classiist?
You say that like it's something bad or unnatural. Of course we are. Do I wish to associate or live in close proximity with those whose values are not in tune with mine? I work in an environment with highly skilled professionals. When not at work, do I hang with those who have struggled to obtain GEDs? I am well compensated for my labors. Do I spend my leisure time at the bowling alley with the 7-11 crew? I worked hard to buy a nice home in a respectable neighborhood so that my family is safe and comfortable. Should I be OK with a double-wide planted on the lot next door?

It's human nature to associate with those one feels most comfortable with and has commonality of values/lifestyles with.

Tell us more about this other planet on which you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 08:02 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I hear it said by many lefties....but what is your true definition of "fair"?

It's quite simple for me.....you get back what you put into life. Nobody owes you anything simply because you exist.

"Fair" generally means "what's best for me", in most peoples minds.

"Fair" is subjective to most.
when my children complain that something isnt fair, I tell them

"If life was a fair, you would be a bearded lady"

They dont like hearing that...but they do get the message.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:03 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
??? Houston is the only place of significant population of which I am aware, where home ownership is scalable.
There are inexpensive homes in nearly every major metropolitan area. And moving further away from metro areas, homes get even cheaper. Seek, and you shall find.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
One cannot live without obligation; it is the price we pay, so to speak, to live in civilized society.
Why are so many in our country, then, NOT held to that obligation? 47% of the tax-eligible pay no federal income tax whatsoever.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:08 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
You say that like it's something bad or unnatural. Of course we are. Do I wish to associate or live in close proximity with those whose values are not in tune with mine? I work in an environment with highly skilled professionals. When not at work, do I hang with those who have struggled to obtain GEDs? I am well compensated for my labors. Do I spend my leisure time at the bowling alley with the 7-11 crew? I worked hard to buy a nice home in a respectable neighborhood so that my family is safe and comfortable. Should I be OK with a double-wide planted on the lot next door?

It's human nature to associate with those one feels most comfortable with and has commonality of values/lifestyles with.

Tell us more about this other planet on which you live.

I have a dream, that one day our children will be able to live in safe, decent neighborhoods withh good schools, based not on the content of their wallet, but on the content of their character.

You - and apparently most Americans - conflate income with human qualities and on that basis, make value judgments. Clampetts = money = good; educated burger flipper = no money = bad.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:11 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There are inexpensive homes in nearly every major metropolitan area. And moving further away from metro areas, homes get even cheaper. Seek, and you shall find.

Home ownership should be scalable where Americans actually live, not where they can theoretically move.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I have a dream, that one day our children will be able to live in safe, decent neighborhoods withh good schools, based not on the content of their wallet, but on the content of their character.
You do realize you're still talking about a meritocracy, no? Based on character. That's inherently going to leave some out.

Quote:
You - and apparently most Americans - conflate income with human qualities and on that basis, make value judgments. Clampetts = money = good; educated burger flipper = no money = bad.
How many value judgments went into your decision to be a burger flipper? Seems you don't like living with the results of the decisions you yourself made.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:

If a person is a burger flipper for more than a year, they arent educated. Educated people are capable of finding better jobs than that.

People who are unwilling to educate themselves so that they can earn a better job = bad.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Home ownership should be scalable where Americans actually live
Yep. Americans actually live in a lot of different places. Many with inexpensive housing.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:17 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,771 times
Fair is a place where you ride rides and eat cotton candy.

And get ripped of by carnies. Talk about unfair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies