Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 08:42 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I hear it said by many lefties....but what is your true definition of "fair"?

It's quite simple for me.....you get back what you put into life. Nobody owes you anything simply because you exist.

"Fair" generally means "what's best for me", in most peoples minds.

"Fair" is subjective to most.
Fair is the opposite of unfair, which is what every republican is. SO, if a republican is for it, it's obviously unfair?

Sorry, had to say it. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 08:43 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Typically bad character breeds more bad character. The welfare mother with 12 children is unlikely to produce a Nobel prize winner who cures the common cold or cancer. Not impossible, but the probabilities are slim. Likewise, the child of skilled professionals, being provided from an early age with the best education and seeing the rewards of hard work is more likely him/herself to enter a respected profession. No guarantees, but the odds are there.

I've seen on occasion at WalMart (yes, I even go there sometimes) examples such as thug-Dad with thug-kid in tow, dressed similarly in sideways-facing caps, baggy pants and gold teeth. Had that kid been raised differently, he may stand a chance of success. But he wasn't and he won't.

I'll say again, bad character breeds bad character. There are not any gang-bangers in my neighborhood, which is one reason I chose to purchase there.

No, but I do choose to associate with those who have worked to elevate themselves and maintain a certain level of character. Let's use living environs as an example. Anyone can say the want to live in a nice neighborhood. Anyone would make the choice to, given thay have the sustainable economic ability. I hold in highest esteem those who develop the means to do so, no matter from where they start. Comparatively few are born rich and most who are work at it, and appreciate what it takes to achieve.

If someone is "educated" and the most they can accomplish as a career is flipping burgers, there's something wrong in their character. I've met "uneducated" people who are amazingly smart. I've met PhDs who are dumb as rocks outside of their particular area of expertise.

??? Exactly how is flipping burgers a problem of character? Is that the basis of the classist opinions of so many Americans?

Old 11-21-2013, 08:44 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In the absence of "career-related experience". a college degree has a shelf life of about five years...after which it becomes more or less worthless in the job market.
That is the point. You need to spend some time actually educating yourself in libraries, volunteering, and free web based classes so that you can earn a better job.

Making the choice to remain uneducated is a terrible choice to make.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:47 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
In case you've been living under a rock there are millions of un(der)employed college graduates in this country.
When I found myself in such a position many years ago, I moved to a far distant city for better job opportunities within my field of study. Once there, I found housing I could then afford at my income level. I sought educational opportunities and professional opportunities, gradually gaining relevent experience and credentials and rising higher on the economic scale.

It would have been so much easier to stay in my home town and whine about how hard life is, but I was young and foolish, full of energy and ambition, and made a choice to better my situation, doing whatever it took to get ahead.

Gee, don't I look stupid now?

Old 11-21-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
??? Exactly how is flipping burgers a problem of character? Is that the basis of the classist opinions of so many Americans?
If you call yourself "educated" and happily choose to flip burgers for a living while alternatives exist, there's no problem. Your choice. If you're going to do it and whine constantly and loudly about how unfair life is that you "must" do it, I'd say there's a character flaw there.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are they all life-long burger flippers, like you? Or have some of them segued into jobs that parlay their acquired knowledge and skills into positions that pay more than minimum wage? Of course, doing the latter actually requires one to make wise decisions and value judgments. That leaves you out, no?

??? My acquired knowledge is not useful to employers, but it does have a market value. which eBay quantifies for me daily in the prices people pay for my items. Also I have helped a number of other sellers make more money. although that's harder to monetize - they send me comps from time to time but I'm not charging for my knowledge. Self-employment often comes from un(der)employment in the 'job' market.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
If you call yourself "educated" and happily choose to flip burgers for a living while alternatives exist, there's no problem. Your choice. If you're going to do it and whine constantly and loudly about how unfair life is that you "must" do it, I'd say there's a character flaw there.

??? Where did you get the idea I 'happily choose' to flip burgers for a living? Flipping burgers for a living is usually about lack of alternatives.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:59 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
??? My acquired knowledge is not useful to employers, but it does have a market value. which eBay quantifies for me daily in the prices people pay for my items. Also I have helped a number of other sellers make more money. although that's harder to monetize - they send me comps from time to time but I'm not charging for my knowledge. Self-employment often comes from un(der)employment in the 'job' market.
So you're here on city-data whining about being a burger flipper because?

Old 11-21-2013, 09:19 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer
I don't see what is left or right about fair.

Fair is having the same education no matter the income level of your parents.

Fair is having the same shot at scholarships and grants based on your achievements.

Fair is having the same opportunity with the outcomes determined by your achievements, focus and effort.

I don't see how that is subjective to most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I don't recall poor people being locked out of schools.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't see poor people locked out of schools. I think what ECW is really saying is if I go to school and study and work hard and you go to school and sit there filling space, fair to some is we should get the same grade.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
??? Where did you get the idea I 'happily choose' to flip burgers for a living? Flipping burgers for a living is usually about lack of alternatives.
There are always alternatives. I didn't want to leave my family, friends and hometown. But more than that, I didn't want to remain stuck with no professional opportunities for growth. So I moved, adjusted, and eventually was able to return home for visits on a frequent basis while my career grew in my new city of residence.

Or I could have stayed there and whined about how unfair life is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies