Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 07:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
It should be banned. It has absolutely NO redeeming social value at all.
There's lots of other things that have no "redeeming social value" and everyone has their own list.

Maybe cities should totally sanitize themselves of any and all things/actions that aren't "redeeming".
Keep it all inside the city limits. Make your cities into perfect Stepford communities.

No smoking, no drinking, no jaywalking, no soda, no junk food.
Turn your cities into perfect Utopias and go live in your bubbles of perfection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 07:44 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's lots of other things that have no "redeeming social value" and everyone has their own list.

Maybe cities should totally sanitize themselves of any and all things/actions that aren't "redeeming".
Keep it all inside the city limits. Make your cities into perfect Stepford communities.

No smoking, no drinking, no jaywalking, no soda, no junk food.
Turn your cities into perfect Utopias and go live in your bubbles of perfection.
So who gets to decide what has redeeming social value?

Old 12-27-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So who gets to decide what has redeeming social value?
Why the mayor and city council. The locals put them into office for a reason.
You don't see that going on in cities all over the US ?

Old 12-27-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Why the mayor and city council. The locals put them into office for a reason.
You don't see that going on in cities all over the US ?
Yes, I see it.

And it's one of the evils of Big Government. Disgusting. There is not a human on earth that knows better than me what I should eat, drink or smoke.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Yes, I see it.

And it's one of the evils of Big Government. Disgusting. There is not a human on earth that knows better than me what I should eat, drink or smoke.
The people moving into these urban areas don't see it that way though.
They want government to mandate utopia on those that aren't doing it on their own.
They want their perfect gentrified cities.
And they have the money to be able to stay in these cities while driving out the "riff raft" that can't afford to comply.

I moved outside the city limits over 15 years ago.
I see people getting nickeled and aimed to death and paying twice as much for the same services I purchase directly (garbage for example).

Old 12-27-2013, 07:57 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Since the War On Drugs has been so successful, perhaps it is now time to outlaw the growing, possession, sale, purchase, and use of tobacco and all tobacco products.
Just outlaw the crap NOW!

P.S. I smoked for about 40 years, but quit when the taxes became, IMO, too burdensome!

Old 12-27-2013, 08:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Yes, I see it.

But isn't Oregon a pro-drug state where drugs have been legalized? What's the point in making nicotine illegal while pot is legal? I would think with all the meth and heroin, nicotine is the least of the problems.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:07 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oregon is a nanny state? You must not know anything about Oregon.

Did you pump your gas this morning or did nanny take care of that?

Old 12-27-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But isn't Oregon a pro-drug state where drugs have been legalized? What's the point in making nicotine illegal while pot is legal? I would think with all the meth and heroin, nicotine is the least of the problems.
Oregon is on the fence. They allow MJ for medical use only. The rejected recreational use by a big margin.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:24 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We need to be reasonable here. We can't practically go after all the vices that people are prone to. The societal costs of smoking far, far outweigh any other risky behavior and it is relatively easy to go after smoking. We have been pretty successful, but there remains a hard core of maybe 20% of adults for whom a jail term or a large fine might be persuasive.
For some reason, it's become in vogue to attack smokers but leave overweight diabetics alone. Why is that hypocrite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What happened to the liberals "war on drugs is horse ****" mantra? It's ok for pot users, but not for nicotine smokers?

Oh the left...the hypocrisy never ends.
I certainly these two posters do not speak for the entire 'left'.

Quote:
Is that how you think the country should be run ?

That is not what the legal system is supposed to be used for.

Find another medium if you want to "create a conversation".
Dumbest thing I ever heard of. Introduce legislation to begin a 'conversation'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
if you are caught with a bag of Doritos that weighs more than 2 ounces you should be subject to imprisonment for a term of year. if caught giving Doritos contraband to minors!! one should be imprisoned for a term no less than 10 years.. if caught with 20 ounces of Doritos contraband or more, one shall serve a term of life in prison with no option for parole...

don't even think about getting me on the subject of Twinkies!!!!
Certainly they should be arrested and possibly shot on site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'll go one further; if the DNA and Blood sample analysis Texans were being required to "donate" during a recent highway traffic stop show that you have a faulty gene linked to one of the debilitating and incurable diseases that require years of expensive treatment; let's just call you in and nip your boys or perform a tubal ligation on your sorry azz and also upon your progeny so you and they cannot reproduce and pass that gene along.

Purely a cost saving measure of course.

Hitler would be proud.
You know, we are not that far from that. My big, big corporation now requires us all to line up like sheeple for BMI, blood pressure, etc. Anything that's over the 'norm' will be met with higher insurance premiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
As a former smoker who quit when the taxes became, IMO, too burdensome, I am all for it.
In fact, I think tobacco and all tobacco products should be completely outlawed! No possession, no selling, no buying, no growing, no use allowed at all.
At the same time, STOP the so-called "War On Drugs". It has cost billions of dollars and uncountable lives, and has accomplished nothing. Legalize all the junk, and if some dope wants to use dope, let him buy it at the DRUG store.
Of course, the current drug restrictions for certain activities and occupations will remain! If you want to be a junkie, you won't be able to be a truck driver, or a pilot, or a nurse, or a doctor, or an airplane mechanic, or...
This post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. None. Legalize ALL drugs but outlaw tobacco. Dude, what are you smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
eat a bag of Dorito's get fat go to jail... WHEN WILL IT END WITH YOU NUTS
It won't. See my healthcare post above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies