Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:02 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times

Advertisements

Well to everyone who posted in this thread I say, Merry Christmas and a happy new year!!!!!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:25 PM

15,098 posts, read 8,641,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Again, if it isn't too much trouble, or beyond your capacity ... think, will you?
The store owner could have just accepted his well wishes, and gone on with his day. Instead he made a point to point out that HE said Merry Christmas.

There are several holidayS in the winter season. If this was before Thanksgiving, there is Thanksgiving, Christmas (or other religious holiday) and new years. So there is nothing obvious. The person could have meant nothing more than happy holidays (thanksgiving, christmas, and new years) .
By INSISTING that people say merry Christmas, you are no better than those INSISTING that people say happy holidays. Each person should say what they choose, that is the beauty of freedom of speech.

Seriously. Why go twisting yourself out of shape to be offended. Accept the well wishes, and go on about your day.
Me twist? Boy, you're twisting youself into the ground here. The "happy holiday" person ADMITTED that they purposely avoided saying merry christmas because they aren't christian, as if one needed to be in order to use the phrase. This was a tacit confession that they find the phrase distasteful, just as they apparently view christianity, since they've obviously given thought to the CONSCIOUS DECISION to not use the phrase.

On the other hand, the shop owner probably is like a lot of Americans who are getting tired of th PC BS from some, and the hostility from others over what has traditionally been a joyous holiday marked by good will that is obviously NOT SHARED by those who are allergic to christmas trees, manger scenes, santa-frickin-clause, and anything wholesome and happy.

That would be fine, IF it were not for the fact that it is this very mindset, and the people who hold such negativity that are ever busy trying to prevent others from expressing their freedoms, buy attempting to ban all such symbolism ... including the spoken words of merry christmas, from public view.

Yet there you are with your Orwellian nonsense about Christians needing to chill out, and live and let live?

You're logic is enough to send Sigmund Freud over the edge trying to make sense of it..

Old 12-03-2013, 05:36 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Me twist? Boy, you're twisting youself into the ground here. The "happy holiday" person ADMITTED that they purposely avoided saying merry christmas because they aren't christian, as if one needed to be in order to use the phrase. This was a tacit confession that they find the phrase distasteful, just as they apparently view christianity, since they've obviously given thought to the CONSCIOUS DECISION to not use the phrase.

On the other hand, the shop owner probably is like a lot of Americans who are getting tired of th PC BS from some, and the hostility from others over what has traditionally been a joyous holiday marked by good will that is obviously NOT SHARED by those who are allergic to christmas trees, manger scenes, santa-frickin-clause, and anything wholesome and happy.

That would be fine, IF it were not for the fact that it is this very mindset, and the people who hold such negativity that are ever busy trying to prevent others from expressing their freedoms, buy attempting to ban all such symbolism ... including the spoken words of merry christmas, from public view.

Yet there you are with your Orwellian nonsense about Christians needing to chill out, and live and let live?

You're logic is enough to send Sigmund Freud over the edge trying to make sense of it..
The poster said happy holidays. The store owner could have accepted his well wishes, and gone on with his day, but he didn't. He had to make a simple holiday greeting a political issue. The poster can say what ever he chooses, just like the owner can say whatever he chooses. The poster didn't rail on about having to hear merry christmas. He simply responded to it with happy holidays. If anyone has a problem with people saying either merry christmas OR happy holidays, that is their problem.

I don't care what YOU choose to say. I don't care what ANYONE chooses to say. I say what I want. If you or anyone else has an issue with that, that is their problem.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You see it that way, so do I and so did most of us for generations. I don't think, as a child or a young person we ever thought about "Merry Christmas" is a religious way, it was a happy and fun time of the year. yes, in our homes and in our churches, and yes, our schools, we did talk about and sing religious songs, but just saying Merry Christmas didn't mean anything. We have several Jewish friends, as well as our son in law. They all love Christmas. Not for religious reasons, but it is a day for a wonderful family gathering. I have never heard any of them show any concerns about hearing Merry Christmas.
If you haven't yet noticed the lying and double talking, just know that you will never get an honest straight answer from the element we're dealing with here ... the "who is taking christmas away, blah, blah, blah". Of course Christmas and all things Christian are, and have been under constant assault for many years. This is a common warfare tactic ... we aren't attacting you (as soldiers continue to fire away). And this is the prominent tactiv of the left "no body is after your guns ...." and "nobody is trying to take christmas away", as they will go so far as to sue a school if they dare allow the kiddies to bring in Christmas cookies ..

Lying, coniving, scamming double talking wolves in sheep's clothing, and of course, how un-christain to point out the little demons, dontcha know !

While no effort is spared to remove the word "god" from the pledge of allegience, to the dollar bill ... as laws are sought to prohibit manger scenes and christmas trees ... as Santa Claus is in the crosshairs evey bit as much as the American family, and family values have been thusly targeted ... anything remotely connected with the concept of good values ... anything that hints of a moral message, is subject to attack.

The war between good and evil is still going strong.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:01 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:

That was the person's choice and there is nothing wrong with saying "happy holidays" if one doesn't want to say "happy christmas."

Old 12-03-2013, 08:14 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,228,286 times
"Tis the season to be jolly...."

Alas, on this thread, the next line is much better suited: "la la la la la la la la lah"

Old 12-03-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That was the person's choice and there is nothing wrong with saying "happy holidays" if one doesn't want to say "happy christmas."
It is not the words that are important, and I don't know if this coy act is an act or not. But the point is the mindset behind the aversion to a simple words "merry christmas". There is a passive agressive message underlying the conscious choice to avoid using the words. So save the coy "poor little ole me didn't mean anything " crap ... you people can't be honest about anything, can you?

The contrast to this contrarian mindset would be a Christian person saying happy chanukkah to a person he knew was Jewish. It's just simple courtesy and good manners, and small gestures like this, as well as the aversion to it, speaks volumes about a person's true character.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:30 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,121,316 times
Any atheists on here get offended when someone, knowing you are an atheist, wishes you a Merry Christmas?

Old 12-03-2013, 08:30 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,228,286 times
Quote:
While no effort is spared to remove the word "god" from the pledge of allegience, to the dollar bill ... as laws are sought to prohibit manger scenes and christmas trees ... as Santa Claus is in the crosshairs evey bit as much as the American family, and family values have been thusly targeted ... anything remotely connected with the concept of good values ... anything that hints of a moral message, is subject to attack.

The war between good and evil is still going strong.
I always thought most Americans were in favor of (if not devoted to) upholding our Constitution. I am utterly amazed when people are in favor of ignoring or abolishing part of it because it affects THEIR religion.

I am equally amazed when I read that some people believe that being exposed to Christian symbols automatically makes you a moral/ethical/good person while not being a Christian, apparently, makes you a depraved soul fighting for the forces of evil.

What an incredibly sad statement.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:42 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Any atheists on here get offended when someone, knowing you are an atheist, wishes you a Merry Christmas?
Nope. But it does get annoying hearing it on or before Thanksgiving. Christmas is 1 day, not all of December, and part of November. It was creeping in starting in October this year. Before long We'll be hearing Merry Christmas starting in February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies