Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
It is not the words that are important, and I don't know if this coy act is an act or not. But the point is the mindset behind the aversion to a simple words "merry christmas". There is a passive agressive message underlying the conscious choice to avoid using the words. So save the coy "poor little ole me didn't mean anything " crap ... you people can't be honest about anything, can you?

The contrast to this contrarian mindset would be a Christian person saying happy chanukkah to a person he knew was Jewish. It's just simple courtesy and good manners, and small gestures like this, as well as the aversion to it, speaks volumes about a person's true character.
Again, unless it was actually Christmas day happy holidays is perfectly acceptable as the winter holiday season includes several different holidays.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:54 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'm a Christian and I have to tell you, all these so called Christians wailing and hollering about how tough they have it make me ill. Their persecution complex is just downright embarrassing. Can you even begin to imagine an American or a Canadian crying out poor poor me, I just have it so bad! We have brothers and sisters all over the world that are killed for their faith and they wail less then these folks. You know, in reality we should welcome persecution in order to test our faith. What would you imagine these folks would do if they were really persecuted, locked up, tortured and so on. I'll bet we would find most of them are not even Christians at all.
Amen. Being embarrassed about saying Merry Christmas in public is NOTHING compared to, say, Christians in Egypt having their churches firebombed to the ground. THAT is a war on Christianity. Christmas, as I keep telling ignorant "Christians" on C-D, is a PAGAN holiday that originated with central European druids or whatever who worshipped in pagan/indigenous traditions. That is what the Christmas tree is about. Truth is, nobody knows when Jesus was born

Old 12-03-2013, 09:05 PM

15,098 posts, read 8,641,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I always thought most Americans were in favor of (if not devoted to) upholding our Constitution. I am utterly amazed when people are in favor of ignoring or abolishing part of it because it affects THEIR religion.
OK, yet another Orwellian twist ... what is this insinuated violation of the constitution you're referring to? Wait ... let me guess ... you're going to present this backward thinking idea that to protect religious freedom protected under the 1st Ammendment, all religious expression must be barred from public places? That it George?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:32 PM

15,098 posts, read 8,641,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Amen. Being embarrassed about saying Merry Christmas in public is NOTHING compared to, say, Christians in Egypt having their churches firebombed to the ground. THAT is a war on Christianity. Christmas, as I keep telling ignorant "Christians" on C-D, is a PAGAN holiday that originated with central European druids or whatever who worshipped in pagan/indigenous traditions. That is what the Christmas tree is about. Truth is, nobody knows when Jesus was born
Actually, you're just partially accurate, and leaving out, or maybe unaware of the context.The truth is, early Christians adopted or incorporated certain practices that were common pagan rituals in the Roman Empire, in order to avoid EXECUTION for practicing Christianity. A "do as the Romans do" type of thing, as a form of cover.

The practices became accepted, and continued. In any event, what does it matter to you whether or not the rituals are pagan?

As for when Jesus was really born, the most accepted theory is in the fall, based on certain elements of the story which indicate that time of year. Again, December was chosen by those early Roman Christians because it aligned with Roman religious practices.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:35 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
The only "War on Christmas" that I see is a bunch of lunatics trampling old women and small children just so they can get a good deal on a new TV for themselves this holiday season.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:40 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
It is not the words that are important, and I don't know if this coy act is an act or not. But the point is the mindset behind the aversion to a simple words "merry christmas". There is a passive agressive message underlying the conscious choice to avoid using the words. So save the coy "poor little ole me didn't mean anything " crap ... you people can't be honest about anything, can you?

The contrast to this contrarian mindset would be a Christian person saying happy chanukkah to a person he knew was Jewish. It's just simple courtesy and good manners, and small gestures like this, as well as the aversion to it, speaks volumes about a person's true character.
Happy Holidays is a generic term that encompasses all holidays. If someone said Happy Holidays to you, why would you be offended by that? I don't see the importance for you to think it is passive aggressive for someone to politely say "happy holidays" rather than "merry chirstmas."

Old 12-03-2013, 10:19 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Old Navy's 50% off War on Christmas was awesome.
Yes it was!!

Old 12-03-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Christmas is Christ's mass. A birth of a savior for all mankind.

John 3:16

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
In Sweden it is called Jul. Swedish Christmas or Jul is a mixed between old Norse traditions as well as Christian traditions.
We eat ham as a main dish. The background of eating ham comes from when the Vikings died in a battle they went to Valhalla , which was their version of heaven. In Valhalla they fought, drank and ate all day long. They specifically ate a pig called Särimner, who they butchered every day. The next day he was alive again. That's why we eat pig for Christmas..lol

Old 12-03-2013, 10:55 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Wow this "War on Christmas" goes all the way back to 1942 and when Andy Williams sang "Happy Holidays" in 1963. What Christmas warmongers he and Irving Berlin were...not one mention of the word Christmas in the entire song...

Quote:
Happy Holiday Happy holiday, While the merry bells keep ringing May your every wish come true Happy holiday, happy holiday May the calendar keep bringing Happy holidays to you...

Andy Williams – Happy Holidays Lyrics Song Lyrics at LYRICSnMUSIC.COM

Old 12-03-2013, 10:55 PM

People needs to shill out a little. If somebody says "God bless you"., to me I say"thank you" in return. If somebody says "happy holidays" I say "happy holidays "back. If somebody says "Happy Hanukkah" to me I reply the same. What's the big deal? It's all done in good faith. In Sweden, Christian or not, everybody wishes each other Merry Christmas or "God Jul"
( God = good). It's the name of the holiday and it's ok .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies