Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 03:00 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i'm not a medical doctor, but i know a lot of them, and we talk, and i take their opinions seriously.

i figured it was just common knowledge that disability was being abused; i didn't realize anyone would debate that point.
If Obama ever learns of this he will be shocked and outraged and tell everyone how he will get to the bottom of it and heads will roll!! Unfortunately it's just one of those things that he knows nothing about
Maybe when he finds out that the program has run out of money (currently running out of money).

Very sad, because when government is down to being able to write the last check it's going to hurt those that are legitimately disabled - including children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I'm surprised. I would have thought most disability cases would be related to obesity (such as diabetes, etc.).

Big Pharma won't be happy until everybody in the U.S. has a "disease".
Diabetes and many of the "mental health" claims are manageable with medication.

As for obesity, a needle and thread would work wonders. Let they suck their dinner through a straw.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:05 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
not clear how SSDI or structural unemployment is the president's fault

those have been issues for years
Yes, I know. Obama is only the president, and cannot be held accountable for his own programs, laws, regulations and policies, much less provide leadership in addressing the polices, laws etc... enacted by prior administrations. Poor, poor Obama, he's only a leaf in the wind.

Obama: "If the congress won't act, I will."

Old 12-04-2013, 03:09 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
OK some real life experience.

I have an ex, got on it for mood issues IE bi polar. She could work, she just doesnt want to. Her complaint while with me was that I was never home, and I should just quit and we'd be fine on her disability. A couple years of her, and *I* probably qualified for disability! She advises people on how to game the system these days.

She doesn't deserve it, but has it.

A friend tried the same route. She IS pretty unemployable....but...maybe she could get something. She has been repeatedly denied.

Another friend CAN absolutely get it-she has mental issues that prevent her from holding a job, meds help a lot, but not enough...but doesn't as her husband makes too much money.

Another friend has severe diabetes issues, probably will die within the next 2 years-cant get it because he keeps finding work for a couple months here and there. Trying to keep medical insurance enough that he can afford dialysis. In process, but probably will die first.

Another one, got his back and neck messed up at work, and has issues getting around. Not in my opinion employable. Gets disability.

Soooo Of the 5 people I know who have gone to see SS for SSI...two have it, one deservably, 2 dont have it but deserve it, and one doesn't have it or deserve it.

Whats the problem here? Approvals are very dependent on location and doctors. And because of high rates of fraud, experts at gaming the system get it, and the rest have issues getting it.

I'm a huge supporter of the system, but rampant fraud needs to be stopped and prosecuted.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:12 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Diabetes and many of the "mental health" claims are manageable with medication.

As for obesity, a needle and thread would work wonders. Let they suck their dinner through a straw.
You have no clue on what diabetes is or how it works. Yes for many medicine can control it along with exercise. I am one of those.

But I have a friend, he follows every rule, measures food, takes insulin, and is thin and in shape. He is whats called a brittle diabetic. He has been in and out of the hospital, and is on dialysis now. He is going to die from this.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:12 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
States with the highest disability claims tend to have the least educated workforce, highest poverty rates, the fewest jobs offering competitive wages and most vulnerable to factory lay-offs due to technology.

Top Ten:

10.Michigan- 6%
9. Missouri-6.1%
8. So. Carolina-6.3%
7.Tennessee-6.5%
6. Maine-7.4%
5. Mississippi- 7.7%
4, Kentucky-8.1%
3. Alabama-8.1%
2. Arkansas8.2%
1. West Va. 9%

Local economies in some adjoining W. VA and Kentucky counties are substantially dependent on SSDI. A few local law firms are SSDI mills with MDs and judges in their pockets.

Chronic neck and back pain is the most common stated disability.
From an NPR show on this topic: Moving People From Welfare To Disability Rolls Is A Profitable, Full-Time Job : NPR

UNIDENTIFIED WOMAN #2: The high blood pressure, how long have you been taking medications for that? And the sleep apnea, since about 2008. OK, let me change that date for you, OK? OK, that's perfect. Can you think of anything else that's been bothering you and disabling you and preventing you from working?

JOFFE-WALT: The Public Consulting Group (PCG) agents will help the potentially disabled fill out the disability application for Social Security over the phone. And by help, I mean, the agents actually do the filling out. When the potentially disabled don't have the right medical documentation to prove a disability, the agents at PCG will help them get it. They'll call doctors offices, X-ray centers, get records faxed.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Oh no. It's far worse than that.

The most common male disability is blue balls.

And that's in direct proportion to the most common female disability, (I'm not in the)mood disability.

God gave men two girlfriends. One on the bottom of each arm.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Here you go: Annual Statistical Report on the Social Security Disability Insurance Program, 2011 - Beneficiaries Who Have Filed for Workers' Compensation or Public Disability Benefits

But you are correct, I meant to state most of the mood disorders are female, not that the most disability for females was moods.
But you made the claim:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Bascially, too lazy to work, not physically disabled, just whine, cry, and beg for the gov to declare I am mentally disabled, then sit back and get my freebies.
Where does it say that, or is that just your opinion? If it's your opinion, that's OK. I have one of those also.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahrrier View Post
It is easy for folks to blame the President, but the Congress can do something about it. In fact, it is. In Oct. the Senate released a report on the problem. Interesting that the abuse investigation - and an attempt to fix it - is starting in the Democratic controlled Senate rather than the GOP House.

Like immigration reform, folks love to complain about Obama, but when it comes to fixing the problem, the GOP House is mute.
What you fail to mention is that Senator Tom Coburn (R) was the one to open the disability abuse investigation, which went on for 2 years. Coburn, Tom Carper (D) Carl Levin (D) and John McCain (R) submitted the report. Also to be addressed is the failure of the agency to monitor itself.

HSGAC Senators Release Social Security Disability Fraud Report - Press Releases - Tom Coburn, M.D., United States Senator from Oklahoma

It doesn't matter who is control of the Senate or Congress. What does matter is that both parties agree that it is a problem and seek to address it.

People who fluff this off as "nothing" need to realize that when it runs out of funds they are going to have to be taxed to keep the checks going. For everyone that knows someone that is scamming disability, they need to realize that they will be taxed to keep their friends and family on the dole.

Government agencies are running out of money, especially those where the funds are distributed to those that are relying on government - legally or fraudulently. And as these agencies run out of money it will be necessary to take everyone to ensure that these agencies continue to operate, which would include the continue funding of those that are committing fraud.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:52 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
10,982,920: More Americans on Disability Than People in Greece | CNS News

At some point even the Obama supporters have to admit that this president's policies are not working. We create more new recipients for SSDI and Food Stamps each and every month, then Americans who are getting jobs.

(CNSNews.com) - The total number of people in the United States now receiving federal disability benefits hit a record 10,982,920 in November, up from the previous record of 10,978,040 set in May, according to newly released data from the Social Security Administration.

The record 10,982,920 total disability beneficiaries in the United States in November also exceeded the total number of people in Portugal (10,799,270), Tunisia (10,835,873) and Burundi (10,888,321).
I am sure you are one of those persons who supports American manufacturers who employ American workers by buying American made products.

Too many Americans complain about lack of jobs for our workers yet continue to buy foreign made products.

The last time I checked the Obama manufacturing corp. was not outsourcing jobs to China so you can't really blame him on so many being unemployed.

As far as so many on disability ins. I was one of those persons 10 years ago when do to physical limitations I could not longer do the work I had been doing for 40 years.
That's 40 years without ever collecting unemployment ins. because as a business owner I was not allowed even though I had to pay into the system.
Even though I collected Disability I worked legally at a lower paying job to make ends meet.

I am not completely happy with Obama but the righties seem to blame him for everything they can think of.

The stock market just took a dip the last three days. Must be Obama's fault.

Let's just stop buying foreign made products and put Americans back to work paying taxes so we can afford to pay those unfortunate American workers who can no longer compete in the work force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies