Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:13 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,794,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Really?

You might want to tell that to Mary Landrieu (D-LA), Mark Begich (D-AK), Mark Pryor (D-AR), Kay Hagan (D-NC) Jeff Berkley (D-OR), Al Franken (D-MN) and Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH). I'm betting all 7 and then some get kicked out of the Senate next year. They could use a hug from a koolaid drinker like you.
I think you're ignoring the issue of why your party can't win the Presidency. You have to pick a far right wing, religious extremist to win the primaries, but such a candidate cannot win with independents in the General Election. You just don't have the target demographic to win big elections with the way our system works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,794,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Tell us exactly what (be specific, with examples) is "hard right"?
Santorum and Bachmann would be hard right. Nutcase religious extremists with far too much emphasis on social issues. Great for the Fundamentalist/Evangelical voting base. Absolutely terrible for the people that actually put you in the White House.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:20 PM

3,619 posts, read 3,891,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I think you're ignoring the issue of why your party can't win the Presidency. You have to pick a far right wing, religious extremist to win the primaries, but such a candidate cannot win with independents in the General Election. You just don't have the target demographic to win big elections with the way our system works.
Don't be so certain: if the election between Romney and Obama was now rather than last year, the results would have been different.

Further, the wedge between them was 4%, that's just 2% of the population voting (although granted in the end the electoral college rather than the popular vote decides). The parties are fairly evenly matched, with the Democrats having an edge in Presidential years and the Republicans in midterm years, but the candidates, timing, and national context mean it's a mistake to count out either party.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:22 PM

45,672 posts, read 27,291,457 times
Enemies of America must love to see us eating our own...

... and no it doesn't matter which side does the eating.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:24 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,411,623 times
Berkley? you really think you're going to take Oregon? I dont think that ones likely. the others maybe, but Berkly losing would be a surprise

Old 12-05-2013, 12:40 AM

21,492 posts, read 10,607,442 times
Quote:
Santorum and Bachmann would be hard right. Nutcase religious extremists with far too much emphasis on social issues. Great for the Fundamentalist/Evangelical voting base. Absolutely terrible for the people that actually put you in the White House.
Neither of whom made it out of the primary.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:53 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,973,384 times
Quote:
McCain and Romney were not "far right, religious extremists," no matter how many times you repeat that DNC propaganda.

If anyone was overly religious, it was George W. Bush, and he kicked the Demcrats' ass twice, in the not too distant past.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:11 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,160,369 times
Quote:
McCain and Romney were not "far right, religious extremists," no matter how many times you repeat that DNC propaganda.

If anyone was overly religious, it was George W. Bush, and he kicked the Demcrats' ass twice, in the not too distant past.
Do you forget who they chose as running mates? One was an Evangelical end times nitwit and the other an Ayn Rand worshipping scorched earth hypocrite.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:30 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,066,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
...I am clearly voting Republican for the rest of my life, and support their entire platform.

Obviously.
Republicans are no different from Democrats. They're both the same. I predict more people will eventually lose faith in the US government.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:33 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,589,820 times
Quote:
Really?

You might want to tell that to Mary Landrieu (D-LA), Mark Begich (D-AK), Mark Pryor (D-AR), Kay Hagan (D-NC) Jeff Berkley (D-OR), Al Franken (D-MN) and Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH). I'm betting all 7 and then some get kicked out of the Senate next year. They could use a hug from a koolaid drinker like you.
I'll bet that not all seven will lose next year.

Name your wager.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies