Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 04:31 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,333,713 times

Advertisements

The wage or salary associated with any job is determined by the value of that job to the employer. Period.

An artificially set wage; i.e., "minimum wage," that ignores this principle is a guarantee that that job will be eliminated. Employers will not pay more than the value they believe they receive. It's common sense.

A "hamburger flipper" is not skilled work, and is simply not worth $15/hr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 04:32 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,400,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
Honestly this is the problem when you allow businesses to have carte blanche. Sorry, I know it's not going to be popular to say. But how f'n stupid are we that at a time when the population is larger than ever, and there are already too few jobs, that we are looking for more ways to eliminate jobs so that we can save the almighty buck. THIS is what happens when greed is practically the credo of a nation.
Ahhh...some truth there....but...

The future is coming. The change from subsistence farming taking 90% of our effort, to automated farming where it represents less then 10% was the first change of many. If we get to the point where providing the basics represents 5% of our gdp, that means 95% more can go into research, and advancing ourselves.

and the question then becomes...why shouldn't we provide a living wage to all....even if they do nothing?

Old 12-05-2013, 04:35 PM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Didn't you have a job as a teen? I did, a min wage job. So you think no one should take a min wage job?
Most teens still live with Mom and Dad. They don't need a living wage.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:37 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,400,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Most teens still live with Mom and Dad. They don't need a living wage.
Yes they do. seriously. I want the last two of my eight to move out, and to do that they need a living wage before they turn 18 so they can afford the move in costs.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:39 PM

15,651 posts, read 10,413,163 times
If a business owner has to pay someone $15/hour to do a job that’s only worth $5/hour, s/he will find another way to get that job done. Well, at least, so far; I’m sure that somewhere some leftist is working on legislation to require all business to hire a certain number of workers, which actually will work — to drive small business out of business, thus increasing unemployment even further.

The infuriating thing is that many of those pushing for higher minimum wage levels also know this — they just don’t care, because it’s union bosses, not the peons, who bribe… er… contribute to… those politicians.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:40 PM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes they do. seriously. I want the last two of my eight to move out, and to do that they need a living wage before they turn 18 so they can afford the move in costs.
Then you need to keep them out of Mickie D's or Burger Chef. Mine get straight A's. I expect them to be on full rides to good schools.

I'll do my dam@#$est to ensure they are successful.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:40 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,136,913 times
Quote:
The types of jobs usually discussed in threads like this are the burger flippers,
Momentum Machines | The Next Industrial Revolution

Quote:
the cashiers,
Retail POS Systems, Self-Service Kiosk - Retail Solutions | NCR

Quote:
So common sense dictates that raising the minimum wage will not cause employers to eliminate these jobs, because if they do then they won't be making any money.
You sure about that?

Old 12-05-2013, 04:43 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,403,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The wage or salary associated with any job is determined by the value of that job to the employer. Period.

An artificially set wage; i.e., "minimum wage," that ignores this principle is a guarantee that that job will be eliminated. Employers will not pay more than the value they believe they receive. It's common sense.

A "hamburger flipper" is not skilled work, and is simply not worth $15/hr.
So then you favor subsidizing those same workers with food stamps, welfare programs, etc? You can't have it both ways.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:48 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,851,891 times
I think people are forgetting cost of living. Notice how most of these strikes are in big cities, where the COL is very high. Living in a small town in the south may be doable with a $7.25/hr job, but not in an expensive area like NYC.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:52 PM

15,651 posts, read 10,413,163 times
Quote:
Don't pretend the "low skilled jobs" are the ones that get paid minimum wage. I work in finances and I swear to you a monkey could do my job and I get paid a lot. My boss spends 2 days a week out of the office playing golf, and when he is here usually mopes around because he has nothing to do. He probably makes twice what I do. We are working low skilled jobs but are paid quite well for them.

But I digress, what you present in your post is sort of a catch 22 for employers, and basically the reason that minimum wage is necessary.
"are workers owed a living wage by employers or will raising the minimum wage cause employers to eliminate jobs?"
The types of jobs usually discussed in threads like this are the burger flippers, the cashiers, the people on the front line who make the money for the business. So common sense dictates that raising the minimum wage will not cause employers to eliminate these jobs, because if they do then they won't be making any money.
Raise prices? Probably. Spend more on marketing? Sure. Find new creative ways to bring in new business? If they are worth their own positions, yes.
Are you a government or private company employee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies