Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What policies would you enforce to fund or procure resources for Single Payer?
Raid all Health Savings Accounts 2 28.57%
Ban cash-only (i.e., concierge) doctors 2 28.57%
Flood country with H1s 3 42.86%
Create government sanctioned guild to supplement (or to replace) AMA 4 57.14%
Institute draft program to compel enlistment of .gov doctors (crossreferenced with selective service and IQ test/college grades/entrance scores) 4 57.14%
Raid all 401(k)s of amounts above $X 3 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 05:33 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
There are no good choices in that poll.
And what makes anyone believe that the government is competent to run a single payer system? War on poverty? War on drugs? War on terror? Obamacare? The track record is crystal clear.
But Norway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 05:41 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
What you Americans nearly always fail to understand is that a universal healthcare plan like we have here in Canada costs the country way, way less than what you presently have. If it were done properly the socialization of the healthcare industry would save the nation trillions of dollars. Not only does it cost far less, it is immensely more efficient. We get something like 8 times the results for every dollar spent on healthcare than the USA does. Most of our medical labs for example are privately owned businesses. For all tests they get paid a set fee by their only customer, the ministry of health. They charge about one quarter of what I pay for the same tests for my dogs at the vets office. These labs are huge profit makers for the owners and yet the prices are rock bottom. The vets charge 4 times more because THEY CAN!

The biggest problem facing any kind of national healthcare scheme in the USA is that the government is incapable of running such a system. Everything in the USA is political and of course such a system would be basically run by the politicians and the bureaucracy. That is guaranteed to fail.

Our healthcare system is run by local not for profit corporations that are almost totally responsible for their own region. They are required to meet a certain level of care and are expected to do so within their budget. The Canadian politicians of course want $10 worth of results for every $1 they contribute to the corporation. There are only a couple of cases where the government gets involved in local healthcare. Bad results and outcomes and a failing report card brings government interference. An example is the appointment of their choice of CEO for the local corporation with a mandate to FIX things. The other example is when a local healthcare corp. goes deep into the red and can not meet budget. Usually the outcome of that one is the realization the corp. is underfunded. LOL

Old 12-09-2013, 05:43 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
Did the OP forget the /sarc on this or are they serious?

Raid all Health Savings Accounts-make the noise to do that, and that cash disappears in a flurry of "cough cough" and boob jobs

Ban cash-only (i.e., concierge) doctors-not constitutional. You can't forbid a group of individuals from entering freely into contracts, that would be called discrimination. You can't do this any more than your could ban cash-only plumbers.

Flood country with H1s-and why would they come? And do you want to go to a doctor the government imported from Pakistan?

Create government sanctioned guild to supplement (or to replace) AMA-and if the AMA doctors refuse to play? Is that why you....

Institute draft program to compel enlistment of .gov doctors (crossreferenced with selective service and IQ test/college grades/entrance scores) If you resort to drafting prospective doctors based on what amount to aptitude tests I can imagine the doctors you'll get-see "Idiocracy" for the prime example.
Raid all 401(k)s of amounts above $X-and cause a bank raid unlike any you've ever seen. Imagine the shock when all the folks withdrawing their 401K discover that it doesn't exist as cash, and isn't available immediately.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
But Norway!
Norway is a bit more homogenous than the US. And fewer of them treat the safety net as a hammock.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:51 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Ban cash-only (i.e., concierge) doctors-not constitutional. You can't forbid a group of individuals from entering freely into contracts, that would be called discrimination.
Um, apparently, you can.

According to the Supreme Court, you can do it if you call it a tax. Obamacare forbids me (or "a group") from freely entering into a contract for health insurance. If the contract I want doesn't include certain coverage (much of which is useless or even impossible for me to use), it's illegal. It's also illegal for me to choose to not enter into that contract. So my freedom to choose whether or not I want to enter into a contract has been removed, and the government is also dictating the terms of that contract which I may or may not want to enter.

Is that discrimination?

Old 12-09-2013, 05:55 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Slavery gets s**t done.

The doctors would be compensated at a reasonable level. At least 2x minimum wage, and they are serving the State admirably. Plus, they would be almost completely absolved of medical malpractice cases as in other SP systems. Ambulance chaser practices would dry up.
The true product of the American education system 2013!

So doctors receive $15/hr what do computer programmers get, $8.00?

Old 12-09-2013, 05:57 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
But Norway!
How about Sweden?

Sweden: A Supermodel for America? - YouTube

It isn't possible.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Um, apparently, you can.

According to the Supreme Court, you can do it if you call it a tax. Obamacare forbids me (or "a group") from freely entering into a contract for health insurance. If the contract I want doesn't include certain coverage (much of which is useless or even impossible for me to use), it's illegal. It's also illegal for me to choose to not enter into that contract. So my freedom to choose whether or not I want to enter into a contract has been removed, and the government is also dictating the terms of that contract which I may or may not want to enter.

Is that discrimination?
It's not so much discrimination as violating your first amendment freedom of association. But the first amendment only applies to banning public displays of religion and the rest of it lies broken and forgotten.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:00 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
How about Sweden?

Sweden: A Supermodel for America? - YouTube

It isn't possible.
But we can just cherry pick what's good and it'll work, right?

RIGHT!?!!?!!

Old 12-09-2013, 07:07 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
What you Americans nearly always fail to understand is that a universal healthcare plan like we have here in Canada costs the country way, way less than what you presently have.
Canadians, and other developed nations. Please quit teasing us. Its not very nice, and many of us DO realize how foolish our country is being. If I thought shaming us would help I'd encourage you, but some of these people have no shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies