Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which social gap is wider? Whites & Blacks? Men & Women?
The divide between whites & blacks 37 62.71%
The divide between men & women 22 37.29%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 01:21 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yes, it is very hard to say. It only looks easy when one refuses to look at all the possible factors.

The difference in education favors black women.
Failures of relationship commitments hampers black women.
Lack of relationship commitment would favor black men.
Aggressive law enforcement hampers black men.
Prior to the Civil Rights Act, racism tended to favor black women in the white workplace as being viewed less dangerous; immediately after the Civil Rights Act, black women were still slightly favored as being a compliance "two-fer."
At this difference after the Civil Rights Act, "male privilege" may give black men a slight workplace advantage over black women.

The more factors you consider, the more difficult it is to determine. But I think police aggressiveness is going to be a major factor for black Millennials, because a criminal record absolutely nullifies any other possible advantages.

While I do agree that SOME black men will benefit from male privilege, that is the ones who have been able to reach the point where they are able to get into occupations where this might be possible, both black men and women have more in common with each other than either do with whites.

Indeed I have noticed that white women seem to bond better with black women, than white men do with black men. I often feel that racism isn't about blacks and whites but its about white MEN and their paranoia about black MEN. Maybe they can draw on the commonality of being oppressed within a (WHITE) male dominated system. White men will view black as a threat, and not as potential allies.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:39 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
While I do agree that SOME black men will benefit from male privilege, that is the ones who have been able to reach the point where they are able to get into occupations where this might be possible, both black men and women have more in common with each other than either do with whites.
Agreed. Those can be scattered occupations--in the blue collar world, for instance, there is the physique-based "male privilege" in which given a choice of any male and any female, the male will get the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
Indeed I have noticed that white women seem to bond better with black women, than white men do with black men. I often feel that racism isn't about blacks and whites but its about white MEN and their paranoia about black MEN. Maybe they can draw on the commonality of being oppressed within a (WHITE) male dominated system. White men will view black as a threat, and not as potential allies.
I think, though, that white women are often surprised that the bonding isn't as natural as they think it should be. This was apparent in the so-called "feminist second wave" in the 60s, when black women paid more attention to Civil Rights as it applied to black people than as it applied strictly to women.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:38 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
race trumps gender every time

Old 12-18-2013, 02:45 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Which social divide in our time is greater and deserves more attention and resources?

The divide between men and women or the divide between whites and blacks? I have a feeling I know which way this will go, and though I am not a woman, consider the tribulations that many women do go through that neither white men nor even black men have to endure.

- Having extra repairs or costs tacked on at a car shop
- Lower wages for same positions
- Amount of women in low paying entry field jobs
- Sexual harassment still a major issue for most women
- Double standards. A girl who has slept with X number of men is a **** or a ***** in the eyes of some.
- Face more adversity to applying for some jobs. Firefighters, certain military jobs, etc
- Jokes about women's role, to stay home, to cook, to take care of children, etc

So which gap is wider? Men and women? Or blacks and whites?
Neither! The gap is between the left and the right, and class and income, and religion and non-religious. We are living in a time where every person has decided they'd rather belong to a click, instead of a herd.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:44 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
race trumps gender every time
Uh; tell THAT to the POTUS in 2013. More like gender trumped race here. Both Obama and McCain are dudes and so was Romney. Hillary didn't have a change and she's "white". So is Palin.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:04 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Men and women, by far.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:06 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; tell THAT to the POTUS in 2013. More like gender trumped race here. Both Obama and McCain are dudes and so was Romney. Hillary didn't have a change and she's "white". So is Palin.
since most of your threads involve race and not gender.. i know what it trumps for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies