Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which social gap is wider? Whites & Blacks? Men & Women?
The divide between whites & blacks 37 62.71%
The divide between men & women 22 37.29%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 12:01 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'm sorry, but if you are saying that men and women are equal on all playing fields then you are willfully ignorant. Society has been set up to favor men, if you don't see this then you really don't pay attention to the world around you.
Men and women could never be equal on all playing fields becsue they aren't equal particularly in jobs that require physical strength. When people lives are on the line it becomes all that more important.

Taliban dying! Artillery fire in Afghanistan (Pech river Valley) - YouTube

While a group of exceptional women could perform as well these men that's the exception and not the rule. A job lke that needs a high standard for physical strength and endurance and if you can't meet that standard there should be no exceptions whether you are a man or a woman.

The next thing someone is going to post is the 72%? "pay gap", understand that is an average of the entire population and does not take into account things like women taking time off to raise families, men are more likely to work in dangerous jobs that pay more, men are more likely to work overtime etc. etc. etc.

As far as the divide between blacks and whites that is an issue brought on by liberal social policies that have destroyed the fabric of their communities over decades. These issues like gang violence and the plethora of fatherless children need to be solved by the black community. We've meddled enough and have done nothing but damage. Leaders in the black community need to step up and start pointing fingers at the people in their community.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:22 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but if you are saying that men and women are equal on all playing fields then you are willfully ignorant. Society has been set up to favor men, if you don't see this then you really don't pay attention to the world around you.
I did not say that. It is impossible for all playing fields to be equal between men and woman. Men have advantages but so do woman. Both have positive and negative. it's life.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:18 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Social divides are artificial wedge issues created by politicians to scare/anger you into a vote for them. The divide in this and most other nations throughout history is the haves vs have-nots. Period. The have-nots were, are and always will be pissed off at those they feel have more than them. In our country, the only thing standing in anyone's way to being a have is the politicians themselves, but the politicians have blacks, hispanics and women riled up that they have it bad because someone else has it good. In 1928-1945 Germany, the German person had it bad because a Jew had it good. FFS, go back to the Roman Empire, where the plebian had it bad because the patrician had it good and the entire political game of panem et circenses was born.

Here's the real "divide" (if there is such a thing) - the dependent and the independent, or simpler, between ants and grasshoppers. It has always been this way, since The Monolith first taught our monkey ancestors to use tools and listen to classical music. There are people that do and people who don't. And it really is that simple. If you reply to this with some excuse, you're a have-not or wish you were. If you agree with it, you're a have and know why you are. Pretty simple really, once you put aside the rhetorical lies of tyrants.

All this glass ceiling, discrimination, gender/race barrier crap is pure nonsense wrapped around political lies. In the US, if you choose to be a have, you will be. If you choose to be a have-not, you will be. Your choice is the "divide" in this nation. Period.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:20 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Which social divide in our time is greater and deserves more attention and resources?

The divide between men and women or the divide between whites and blacks? I have a feeling I know which way this will go, and though I am not a woman, consider the tribulations that many women do go through that neither white men nor even black men have to endure.

- Having extra repairs or costs tacked on at a car shop
- Lower wages for same positions
- Amount of women in low paying entry field jobs
- Sexual harassment still a major issue for most women
- Double standards. A girl who has slept with X number of men is a **** or a ***** in the eyes of some.
- Face more adversity to applying for some jobs. Firefighters, certain military jobs, etc
- Jokes about women's role, to stay home, to cook, to take care of children, etc

So which gap is wider? Men and women? Or blacks and whites?
The gap between blacks and whites is wider. That gap is real. The gap between men and women is feminist rhetoric, as evidenced by your bullet points. Some of them are from the 70s that don't exist anymore and the rest of them are false.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:33 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
As a black person, I actually do think the divide between men and women is the greatest.

FWIW, I don't surround myself only with black people either lol. Old petch, you are a piece of work. LOL.

But seriously, I view things from a more global perspective and from that perspective IMO women (and children in general) are the most oppressed people in the world. In this country, I do feel we have it good but on the whole, as a black person, I feel I have it good as well and the majority of black people are used to white people. Whites may not be used to us blacks, but generally we have nothing against you.

Around the world, men do not, on the whole respect women as being, basically human. The fact that women can be raped and mutilated and held to some skewed standard versus a man being able to get away with practically anything in some countries (I would say most in comparison to women) is proof of this.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:36 AM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Which social divide in our time is greater and deserves more attention and resources?

The divide between men and women or the divide between whites and blacks? I have a feeling I know which way this will go, and though I am not a woman, consider the tribulations that many women do go through that neither white men nor even black men have to endure.

- Having extra repairs or costs tacked on at a car shop
- Lower wages for same positions
- Amount of women in low paying entry field jobs
- Sexual harassment still a major issue for most women
- Double standards. A girl who has slept with X number of men is a **** or a ***** in the eyes of some.
- Face more adversity to applying for some jobs. Firefighters, certain military jobs, etc
- Jokes about women's role, to stay home, to cook, to take care of children, etc

So which gap is wider? Men and women? Or blacks and whites?
Which one of those is not applicable to black men? Okay, the harrassment is not sexual....

And don't forget that black women have to deal with both sexism and racism.

However, and to be serious, it's been noted that oppression of women is certainly prehistorical and global, whereas modern racism is a relatively new thing (only since the so-called enlightenment).

Old 12-11-2013, 07:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
The gap between blacks and whites is wider. That gap is real. The gap between men and women is feminist rhetoric, as evidenced by your bullet points. Some of them are from the 70s that don't exist anymore and the rest of them are false.

I personally do not think the gap between blacks and whites is wider, even in this country.

Our country has more of a gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" regardless of race.

Black people generally do not view white people negatively, nor do we think of you all that often, and we are very much used to you in most circumstances since we are a minority and as such are forced to interact with you all on a regular basis.

FWIW, I do think racially, in this country, whites (in general) would be the ones who would view a larger racial divide based on their fear of black people. Blacks on the whole, do not fear white people, we don't think of you as foreigners and are used to dealing with you all. We might think you have some silly ways and may laugh at you about those ways, but from my own black experience in being middle class and living in a lower income area along with having a range of different black, I'll call them "characters" in my own family and circle of friends, I conclude that the racial divide is not as big as people think it is and more so has to do with white people viewing black people with fear and thinking we are foreign or need to assimilate, which, to me, is one of the silly ways in which some white people think.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:08 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,547 times
The gender wage gap is a fallacy, drummed up by left-wingers with the need to treat women like perpetual victims and exploit them for their support. If you take a man and woman with the same education and same experience, they earn the same income. Women on average earn less because they work less, work less demanding jobs and often have lapses in employment to have children. Remove those factors and women earn the same.

In addition, single women in their 20's who live in cities now earn on average 8% MORE than their male peers.

As for some of those other factors, mechanics overcharge everyone, not just women. Do you think your average Corolla-driving male urbanite knows any more about what's under his hood than the average woman?

And jokes about women's place being in the kitchen are not openly accepted, but meanwhile it's become normal to treat men and husbands as incompetent fools -- from movies, to TV shows and even commercials, men are treated like idiots that their wives have to clean up after and take care of. How many sitcoms from the past two decades feature a husband who comes across as a lazy, incompetent schlub, while the wives are the mature, responsible ones.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:22 AM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
As for some of those other factors, mechanics overcharge everyone, not just women. Do you think your average Corolla-driving male urbanite knows any more about what's under his hood than the average woman?

Back in the early 90s, "Consumer Reports" ran some tests and discovered it to be true that many mechanics did, indeed, attempt to charge women more than they charged men purely on presumption that the women were unlkely to realize they were being cheated.

In the same test, "Consumer Reports" discovered that car salesmen often refused to make the same level of deals with either women or blacks that they'd make with white men. The salesmen would actually let the transaction fail rather than extend the same deal to a black or a woman that he'd accept from a white male.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:32 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Which one of those is not applicable to black men? Okay, the harrassment is not sexual....

And don't forget that black women have to deal with both sexism and racism.

However, and to be serious, it's been noted that oppression of women is certainly prehistorical and global, whereas modern racism is a relatively new thing (only since the so-called enlightenment).
Perhaps MODERN racism is new because you labeled it as MODERN?

Make no mistake, racism has been around ever since men realized that we come in different shades. I think the spike of racism has gone up and down though. It has definitely improved over the past couple of centuries, but is still a long ways off from where it ought to be. However, as long as humans can see color I don't think racism will ever be fully conquered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies