Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:24 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,883,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I'm surprised she said it but her assessment of Robertson is accurate and I like the job she has done as mayor so I'm not holding it against her.
I don't think it would hurt her if she ran again (I don't think she plans to, or has has the max number of terms?). I think that in Houston, most people would agree with her on the statements. But the point being made by some of us is that it would be great if our elected officials would stay out of these things.

Now, if there were a regulation or policy up for consideration that dealt with discrimination, then of course she would need to be very involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 10:24 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
I'm surprised she said it but her assessment of Robertson is accurate and I like the job she has done as mayor so I'm not holding it against her.
How do you know that?

Old 12-21-2013, 10:27 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
How do you know that?
Because I watched this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QjaYScgeDs

Old 12-21-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Parker called him a "redneck wingnut", how exactly does that video prove that she was correct?

Old 12-21-2013, 11:18 PM

82 posts, read 99,347 times
but some of the other tweets are worse, some people called Houston a city full of trash and potholes, what ignorance!

Old 12-21-2013, 11:34 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Quote:
Parker called him a "redneck wingnut", how exactly does that video prove that she was correct?
Well he's self proclaimed "white trash" most who use that are proud to call themselves "redneck"

I don't know when redneck became a term of endearment/badge of honor anymore than rappers using the N word like a badge of honor.

I read a comment on a site a few days ago about this and I agree. They said they knew nothing good would come from these reality shows giving the inside look into proud "redneck" families. Just wait. HoneyBooBoo is going to say the wrong thing to a minority kid in the pageants or at school and it will continue.

This guy is a wingnut. Though it's a trip how the media is all about gays now. This dude was actually implying that black people were singing and happy in Jim Crow. Um....no.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:19 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
She's the mayor of one of the largest cities in the country, calling someone she doesn't actually know a "redneck wingnut" via twitter is far from professional for someone of her public position.
I don't see what is offensive about calling him a redneck
as some people always say "They call each other like that all the time, why can't we do it, too?"

Old 12-22-2013, 12:36 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
OP, I know when conservatives use the civility card to shoot down liberal politicians when they jab back at right wing nuts like the DD guy.

Anise Parker was asked by a site called Lone Star Q about the whole fiasco and she gave her honest opinion. Afterward, she reaffirmed her statements via twitter. That's all that happened. She didn't just go on a tirade on twitter about the man just because.

Robertson is a right wing but job based on his comments on homosexuality alone. I don't think you need further clarification. I don't think politics should be petty but I also don't think it should be this super sanitized media friendly faux civil debate either. Right wing radio hosts and politicians take jabs at liberals all the time. Getting called out shouldn't offend anyone of they're dishing it out too. Conservatives have made liberal a dirty word, this is just a case of a liberal dishing it back.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don't see what is offensive about calling him a redneck
as some people always say "They call each other like that all the time, why can't we do it, too?"
She's the MAYOR and she made this statement using social media, she's a public figure.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:39 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
I'm really not that surprised. I've met her at social parties, she's not exactly a polished person. But it's rather ironic that she would be is using defamatory names for a certain demographic.

The world is to be totally PC..unless you disagree with "them."

That said, she's failed to realize that right wing wingnuts built Houston into the powerhouse it is.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 12-22-2013 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: Typos again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies