Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 04:05 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times

Advertisements

I have probably been saying "Happy Holidays" for years. But no one had ever told me I could not say "Merry Christmas." I think it is offensive to single out one group and tell them they cannot choose their greeting. I find it offensive that a store for instance that is making mega dollars from a holiday refusing to let its employees wish the customers a "Merry Christmas." That is being two-faced. They want the money from sales but want to deny the reason for the holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 05:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Happy holidays is not offensive. Neither is Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas can be ignorant depending on the context, but hardly offensive. If someone wants to be ignorant, don't get offended.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:12 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,970 times
Every time a person says Happy Holidays one of Satan's spawns are released from the bowels of Hades to wreak havoc on Christians by TP-ing their homes or other types of tom foolery.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:17 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
The weak are offended by happy holidays.
The weak are offended by merry Christmas.
People just gotta find reasons to be offended or to offend.
It is like political fan clubs. If bush did exactly what obama did, the right would say it was a great idea.
If obama did exactly what bush did, the left would say it was a great idea.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:30 PM

37,224 posts, read 19,210,527 times
It isn't/ There are a lot of holidays at the end of the year in a short span - Christmas, Chanukkah, Boxing Day, Kwanzaa, New Year's Day, Hogmanay, and others. There is no way to know what everyone celebrates, and "Happy Holidays!" covers the field. I personally have a hard time taking offense at someone extending good wishes for whatever reason.

To be offended because someone doesn't say "Merry Christmas !" specifically is shallow and boorish. What they mean is, "If you don't say 'Merry Christmas' you can go to hell!". I doubt Jesus would have had a hard time with someone wishing Him "Happy Holidays".

Last edited by cuebald; 12-23-2013 at 06:12 PM..

Old 12-23-2013, 05:34 PM

37,224 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have probably been saying "Happy Holidays" for years. But no one had ever told me I could not say "Merry Christmas." I think it is offensive to single out one group and tell them they cannot choose their greeting. I find it offensive that a store for instance that is making mega dollars from a holiday refusing to let its employees wish the customers a "Merry Christmas." That is being two-faced. They want the money from sales but want to deny the reason for the holiday.
Look again - the money **IS** the reason for the holiday, and the reason I have seen Lowe's put out an inflatable Santa at the end of August. It didn't used to be that way. The spending orgy that Christmas has become is just plain sad and pitiful.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:37 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
It isn't offensive. Happy Holidays is just a general term used to be all inclusive, this way someone won't say 'Merry Christmas' to someone who does not celebrate the holiday.

Some say 'Merry Christmas' if offensive as well, and to that I say, it's not. Regardless of what specific holiday they say, they're just trying to be nice. I can say without a bit of doubt that if someone said 'Happy Chanukah' to me, I'd simply say 'thank you, you too' and move on, despite the fact that I don't celebrate the holiday.

The people who get offended by a simple gesture are simply trying to make a big deal out of nothing and have things their way.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:49 PM

82 posts, read 63,561 times
Christmas is the most famous and celebrated national holiday....

Happy Holidays is somewhat offensive and annoying I will be honest especially when they see me wearing a cross and few days before Christmas.

I was in the UK last week and everybody says 'Merry Christmas'... Happy Holidays does not exist. Holiday = Vacation or trip in British English.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:50 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

Your post is the absolute best. I agree with you so much. There should be no problem with either saying. For those who like saying "Happy Holidays" or those who wish to say "Merry Christmas." The only time I would have a problem, as you state, is that it is so offensive to single one group, and tell them guess what! Can't say Merry Christmas anymore is ludicrious.

Who comes up with this bologna. Should of heard the older women in a Macys the other day, stating to another older women this exact topic. She was so funny, and said it will always be merry Christmas to me, this is what I grew up on and celebrated, I will never stop saying merry Christmas. And she threw in some things I just loved to hear.

What ever is comfortable to say, should be said by the person saying the greeting.

Can't say "Merry Christmas" then you ought not be able to say "Happy Holidays" neither. Because many people world over do celebrate Christmas.

And I do not find it offensive in anyway. Just can't stand for the life of me people who are one sided.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:50 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
I hope everyone has a happy Fireworks Day next July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies