Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 10:09 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
As a side note. If you believe that the police are there to protect you, you need to rethink that. The police are there to write a report and investigate a crime after the crime has been committed. It is rare when the police arrive in time to prevent a crime. There is an old saying. "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away". The police are NOT there to protect you.
Like I said, I have no problem with gun ownership at home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 10:10 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
That's the point after all. Who knows what would have happened if some trigger happy cowboy was present. He draws, the badguy shoots, other guy shoots, somebody in the middle gets hit.
You can what if things to death, but you can't point out examples of where that happens.. For every bad shoot you can find, I guarantee you I can find 20 good shoots. People that carry firearms in their person legally do so with a great deal of respect for their responsibility. Most have had to undergo training to know when and where it is appropriate to use deadly force. It's not the wild west for crying out loud.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:13 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Are you sure you're the best source on this issue? You live in Alaska where everybody knows everybody else is armed, lol.
I once met an Alaskan many years ago that only had three firearms. Can you believe that? Only THREE!

Old 12-23-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
But they did not go wrong. Don't you think that the ones that went wrong would be all over the news?

Many of those stories are not at homes. Many are at businesses.
Re read my post. They could have easily gone wrong. Who knows of the robbers have accomplices waiting or maybe they're quicker to the draw than you are. Money is not worth dying over or risking the lives of others for.

3,555 posts, read 4,096,480 times
Quote:
You can what if things to death, but you can't point out examples of where that happens.. For every bad shoot you can find, I guarantee you I can find 20 good shoots. People that carry firearms in their person legally do so with a great deal of respect for their responsibility. Most have had to undergo training to know when and where it is appropriate to use deadly force. It's not the wild west for crying out loud.
But you do have situations where people shoot first and question later. Responsible gun owners should want this guy held accountable for his actions.

Gunman claims he shot unarmed Renisha McBride by accident: report - Daily News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I once met an Alaskan many years ago that only had three firearms. Can you believe that? Only THREE!
My question would be had he lived there over 2 days?

Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
You would rather have those people injured or killed?
If you get involved in trying to stop a robbery you run that risk anyway. A shootout could turn a robbery where only money is stolen and no one gets hurt into a blood bath.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
But you do have situations where people shoot first and question later. Responsible gun owners should want this guy held accountable for his actions.

Gunman claims he shot unarmed Renisha McBride by accident: report - Daily News
As I said in an earlier post. The police are there to investigate and file a report. If this shooting is ruled to be a homicide or a manslaughter, charges will be brought against the defendant. If it is found to be and he is found guilty then he should be charged, but the example you just posted has nothing to do with carrying a firearm in the public. This man was in his home. You could probably have found a better example to make your case, but when you do, get ready for an avalanche of instances where someone properly used a firearm to stop a criminal in a legal shoot.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:21 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Thank you.. This is one of the points I've been trying to make except my point has been lost from all the squabbling and pro-gun stuff. Apparently it is wrong of me to say that I don't agree with guns being carried around in public.
Please quote someone saying it's wrong for you to not agree with guns being carried in public?

Old 12-23-2013, 10:23 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,096,480 times
Quote:
As I said in an earlier post. The police are there to investigate and file a report. If this shooting is ruled to be a homicide or a manslaughter, charges will be brought against the defendant. If it is found to be and he is found guilty then he should be charged, but the example you just posted has nothing to do with carrying a firearm in the public. This man was in his home. You could probably have found a better example to make your case, but when you do, get ready for an avalanche of instances where someone properly used a firearm to stop a criminal in a legal shoot.
I have no problem with lawful legitimate defense, but you cant gloss over glaring wrongs.

N.C. cop who shot unarmed ex-football player 10 times*charged with manslaughter - Daily News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies