Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 10:48 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Thank you.. This is one of the points I've been trying to make except my point has been lost from all the squabbling and pro-gun stuff. Apparently it is wrong of me to say that I don't agree with guns being carried around in public.
A main argument that anti concealed carry folks would try to push was that "There will be wild west shoot outs and the street will be running in blood". Has that happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 10:49 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
People get killed in robberies that net the criminal $60...

Old 12-23-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I once met an Alaskan many years ago that only had three firearms. Can you believe that? Only THREE!
Noooooo...tell me it's not true!

Old 12-23-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Re read my post. They could have easily gone wrong. Who knows of the robbers have accomplices waiting or maybe they're quicker to the draw than you are. Money is not worth dying over or risking the lives of others for.
My wife and boys are worth fighting for.

Could have gone wrong. You could get run over crossing the street.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
I have no problem with lawful legitimate defense, but you cant gloss over glaring wrongs.

N.C. cop who shot unarmed ex-football player 10 times*charged with manslaughter - Daily News
Who here is glossing over glaring wrongs? Now you are making an example of a rogue cop to facilitate your argument against citizens carrying a firearm? Stretch much??

Old 12-23-2013, 10:56 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Your last paragraph, is that because of the risk of being attacked by a bear or some sort of deranged elk or something? Excuse my ignorance but I don't live in Alaska, I live in Pennsylvania and the local Starbucks is a pretty benign place, the only drama being the barista forgetting to add whipped cream to someone's latte.

Let's just agree to disagree.
A "deranged elk" is a good way to describe a stereotypical moose, but yes, that is the primary reason. There are more bear and moose in Alaska than people. You cannot help but run into them on occasion, even in the cities.

Bear are far more rational than moose. If they smell or hear you coming, bears get out of your way. It is only when you surprise them than you need be concerned. Moose, on the other hand, are completely irrational and utterly fearless, not a good combination. They will charge you for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

During the winter when I walk my dogs I also open carry because of wolves and moose (bears are hibernating). Domesticated dogs are easy prey for wolves, and there are dogs, and other pets, that are lost to wolves during most winters. Moose also do not like dogs, and will go out of their way to stomp them if they can. Even in the cities.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:56 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,272 times
All this talk of guns, burglaries, man eating bears and robberies is even making me paranoid. There goes any chance of a good night's sleep as I live alone. Thanks a lot!

Old 12-23-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
All this talk of guns, burglaries, man eating bears and robberies is even making me paranoid. There goes any chance of a good night's sleep as I live alone. Thanks a lot!
Anytime.. Glad to help..

Old 12-23-2013, 10:59 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,438 times
Quote:
Get a gun for protection and you'll sleep like a baby.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
See you need to learn to safely handle and shoot a firearm. I'm sure there are places where you live that could provide the proper training.

Come to Alaska and I will teach you or if you prefer my wife will. I promise we won't let a grizzly eat you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies